NSU-KPCOM or KCUMB (Need to decide where to place deposit this week)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XT3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

I've been doing a lot of digging, looking and calling students. Both schools are great but I can't seem to have a definitive decision on which school to attend.

KCUMB
Pros
  • SDN favorite
  • 100% Placement Rate in the last 5 years
  • Board-based curriculum
  • Higher than national average on the boards
  • Tuition & Standard of Living is cheaper
Cons
  • Campus is great but the surrounding area seems meh according to neighborhood scout (higher crime rates)
  • Less research opportunities
  • Far from home (I am from the east coast)

NSU-KPCOM
Pros
  • Beautiful Campus with nice facilities
  • Research opportunities
  • East coast
  • Good match rate
  • Hot weather/nice area = better mental health?
Cons
  • Campus is shared amongst Undergraduate and different disciplines of HPD
  • Less study spaces due to the amount of students
  • MD school might be a concern?
  • Average student debt is (230K [KCU] vs 270K [NSU])

Thanks SDN. Any comments/assistances is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at both, live about 10 minutes from Nova, but will be picking KCU (if accepted). If you want more details, PM me-- I've derailed way too many of these threads already haha.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds cheesy, but you probably know deep down where you want to go. Make a pros/cons list with the important deciding factors, show your family/advisers, and see which school you defend more / reasoning between choices. It's a hard process, but you've got this.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds cheesy, but you probably know deep down where you want to go. Make a pros/cons list with the important deciding factors, show your family/advisers, and see which school you defend more / reasoning between choices. It's a hard process, but you've got this.

Just out of curiosity, is this something you sensed from my post? Loll if so, would you care to share? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I just had to decide between NSU and CUSOM. For me it was a little different because NSU is the more established/ SDN preferred school but if you strip down your list: it appears that your main concern is the cost difference.

Personally it seems to me that you are leaning toward KCUMB. All of your pros (minus SDN favored which is weak) are solid for that category whereas for NSU they are more artificial (beautiful facilities/ warm weather/ research opportunities (which the students said few people can do because of the curriculum being heavy)). Don't get me wrong that campus and housing is like a resort and I am incredibly humbled by their acceptance.

Two things that could throw off my assumptions: I don't know what the KCUMB spread looks like for payment, but I wouldn't trust average indebtedness since one school could have a lot of HPSP scholarships which can throw the numbers off (so go back to the tuition/housing/expected costs etc. for that decision). So looking at payment it seems like that is the main con for NOVA which is fair (I also want to pay off debt one day). The other consideration is that unless Nova is within around 3 hours from home there is a low likelihood of geography being a major concern since you will likely need airplane tix to travel.

Anyways, as with all online advice, I don't know the real you so I would hate to alter your decision. I wish you the best and know that this is hard!

Last edited:
Well, I just had to decide between NSU and CUSOM. For me it was a little different because NSU is the more established/ SDN preferred school but if you strip down your list: it appears that your main concern is the cost difference.

Personally it seems to me that you are leaning toward KCUMB. All of your pros (minus SDN favored which is weak) are solid for that category whereas for NSU they are more artificial (beautiful facilities/ warm weather/ research opportunities (which the students said few people can do because of the curriculum being heavy)). Don't get me wrong that campus and housing is like a resort and I am incredibly humbled by their acceptance.

Two things that could throw off my assumptions: I don't know what the KCUMB spread looks like for payment, but I wouldn't trust average indebtedness since one school could a lot of HPSP scholarships which can throw the numbers off (so go back to the tuition/housing/expected costs etc. for that decision). So looking at payment it seems like that is the main con for KCUMB which is fair (I also want to pay off debt one day). The other consideration is that unless Nova is within around 3 hours from home there is a low likelihood of geography being a major concern since you will likely need airplane tix to travel.

Anyways, as with all online advice, I don't know the real you so I would hate to alter your decision. I wish you the best and know that this is hard!

Thanks! That was very neutral and fair. Appreciate the input!