NSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I was one of the M2s that spoke to yesterday's experience day attendees. If you have any questions that weren't answered or need the contact info of another student please let me know. :)

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if they are still calling people for interviews. my application has been under review since November and i have not heard anything back from them.

Does anyone know the exact matriculation date at Nova (based on last year's)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yikes....will they put a hold on sending out invites 'till she gets back?

:eek:

I'm wondering if this is the case. I interviewed in January, was told the committee was unable to meet that month and would meet in feb. and status updates would be provided by the week of February 24. I called to see if they had any information and was told that they wouldn't have information until mid-March now. Fortunately waiting patiently for decisions on the status of my life is one of my strong points. Damn, I should have used that in my interview!

I'm wondering if this is the case. I interviewed in January, was told the committee was unable to meet that month and would meet in feb. and status updates would be provided by the week of February 24. I called to see if they had any information and was told that they wouldn't have information until mid-March now. Fortunately waiting patiently for decisions on the status of my life is one of my strong points. Damn, I should have used that in my interview!

I interviewed in early February, was told about 2 weeks for a decision. Still nothing. I've called a bunch of times, sent emails, but so far no one has gotten back to me. It's pretty torturous at this point. Plus, I got an email from the registrar with info about signing into the secure area of webstar, and I found out they created an email account for me, which I can't actually sign into. The email says it's not an indication of admittance, so really it's just a major tease. Fingers crossed that we get some information soon!!!

Does anyone know anything about the 'alternate list'? Do they review this list in May/June only or have some ppl got accepted off of it earlier than that? And what can I send in to get accepted from the alternate list?

Hi WishDr. I was actually accepted off of the waitlist about a month after being placed on it, back in December. From what I hear, a couple of other people have been in the same situation as me. So for that reason I think that they review it periodically. What I did was email Anastasia every week or so to see if there was any update in my status. I also sent in a letter of intent stating that NSU was my number one choice and if accepted I would attend without a doubt. I received my acceptance letter about a week later. You could also get an additional letter of recommendation -- I think this could help set you apart from the rest. I was in the process of doing this when I was subesequently accepted. I hope this helps. Good luck!!

I interviewed in early February, was told about 2 weeks for a decision. Still nothing. I've called a bunch of times, sent emails, but so far no one has gotten back to me. It's pretty torturous at this point. Plus, I got an email from the registrar with info about signing into the secure area of webstar, and I found out they created an email account for me, which I can't actually sign into. The email says it's not an indication of admittance, so really it's just a major tease. Fingers crossed that we get some information soon!!!

hah, every few days I try to sign into my email account thinking that eventually it will be active, with the assumption that this will be an indication of my acceptance. They even have a user name for me other than my NSU ID#. But still can't log in.

Hey guys I just received an email from NSU inviting me to their spring break open house on the 24th of this month. I was wondering if this means anything. I've been complete here since early November. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Hey guys I just received an email from NSU inviting me to their spring break open house on the 24th of this month. I was wondering if this means anything. I've been complete here since early November. Thanks.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Got the same email. Been complete since early Dec. Don't think it means anything. The image advertises all of its degree programs, not spec the DO degree. This leads me to believe it is a generic email.

I got it too. Would be nice to hear something about my application from an actual human who knows what's going on :annoyed: Sorry but the lack of organization and communication on part of the admissions office is becoming very frustrating.

I disagree, they are hard at work behind the scenes and they are dealing with a heavy volume of applications so delays are inevitable at this point. I am pretty frustrated, but we must remain patient.

I called as well. It seems that no invitations will be sent until Anastasia returns next week if anybody else was wondering. :(

Got the same email. Been complete since early Dec. Don't think it means anything. The image advertises all of its degree programs, not spec the DO degree. This leads me to believe it is a generic email.

I got that email back in October for the Open House they had that month. Since I live 20 minutes away I gladly went and I really enjoyed the campus, except the only staff member I was able to meet was Anastasia, she was a pleasure. The only downfall was that we didn't get to see much of the Osteopathic areas on our tour : / They had no one available from the department, Anastasia told me she was hoping but unsure if anyone would be there and unfortunately they werent! It was disappointing and unfortunately I haven't heard a peep since then, except that my app. is still under review. Best of luck to everyone though! I suggest going to the Open House if your within driving distance, or you realllyyy want to check out the campus and attempt to meet some faculty.

Members don't see this ad :)
NSU traditionally is one of the first to start interviews and one of the first to end them. If they do have interviews scheduled for the rest of this month, it is likely they have all been given out. My suggestion to you all is to call and find out. It is likely for interviewees to drop their interviews close to their scheduled dates.

Best of luck!

hey everyone,

I just withdrew my acceptance and forfeited my $1250 deposit :(

Hopefully, someone from the WL gets a call soon :thumbup:

So is there a way we can check the admissions decision online? I have gotten several IDs/usernames/passwords for NSU and I am quite frankly at a loss for what is what.

Hopefully since Anastasia is back we will be hearing shortly (interviewed 2/21). Do we find out through email or by phone?

Thanks!

is anastasia's first language english because she replied in an email with awful spelling for so many words, anybody experience this too? by the way she said they are no longer conducting interviews folks

Last edited:
So is there a way we can check the admissions decision online? I have gotten several IDs/usernames/passwords for NSU and I am quite frankly at a loss for what is what.

Hopefully since Anastasia is back we will be hearing shortly (interviewed 2/21). Do we find out through email or by phone?

Thanks!

I interviewed 2/7 and was told I would hear back by 2/24, still nothing. I read somewhere that we are notified by a phone call followed by an email of an acceptance.

I interviewed 2/7 and was told I would hear back by 2/24, still nothing. I read somewhere that we are notified by a phone call followed by an email of an acceptance.

Thanks. I'm sorry you haven't heard back yet. Don't sweat it, though. I don't think there was an adcom meeting in late February, so all of us will be hearing soon. Hopefully in the next week, plus or minus a few days. :xf:

I was told the same thing, week of feb 24. I interviewed early january. When I called the week of the 24th they told me they were moving the date to mid march. I heard that they do this to us so the admissions advisers will feel some love because so many people are calling them.

I was told the same thing, week of feb 24. I interviewed early january. When I called the week of the 24th they told me they were moving the date to mid march. I heard that they do this to us so the admissions advisers will feel some love because so many people are calling them.

I received an email from Anastasia today saying that my decision letter was not sent during the normal delivery time due to unforeseen circumstances. Maybe you got the same thing?

Anybody else have info on whether or not they are conducting anymore interviews? Been complete since September and under review for many months--no word yet, though. Figured it was a silent rejection by this point.

Anybody else have info on whether or not they are conducting anymore interviews? Been complete since September and under review for many months--no word yet, though. Figured it was a silent rejection by this point.

by the way she said they are no longer conducting interviews folks

Necronomicon, it looks like barhhb might have answered your question. Plus a couple people above recently received rejection letters pre-II. I hope I'm wrong, though. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask. The admissions staff was very nice when I called a few days ago.

I received an email from Anastasia today saying that my decision letter was not sent during the normal delivery time due to unforeseen circumstances. Maybe you got the same thing?

Yep, got it this afternoon. I was a little confused, the wording initially made it sound like they already made a decision and just need to mail the letter but toward the end it said I would be notified by email prior to them mailing the letter making me wonder if they just didn't include my file in the last adcom meeting. I replied to try to get some clarification as to which it was but haven't received a response yet.

Just got an email notifying me of my status change to an alternate. Maybe some more decisions are being sent.

I interviewed on February 2nd, and have heard absolutely nothing since. I was originally told to expect a decision within two weeks. Their admissions counselors over the phone are quite unhelpful. For over a month now, they've been given me the "we're working hard on evaluating your application and will be contacting you soon" schtick.

What sucks about it is that I have until Friday, March 23 to put down a $3000 non-refundable deposit for another school that I don't really like all that much. I'm a little peeved that Nova can't make a decision after almost seven weeks of waiting on them.

My dad drove by NSU today (he lives a street west of the school) and read on the marquee that "Student Acceptance Day" is March 30. Does this mean we find out if we get in by then?

Just got an email notifying me of my status change to an alternate. Maybe some more decisions are being sent.

So we both got the same email about our decision not being delivered on time and now we are both on the alternate list. I know its pointless to ponder this but I wonder if the decision was made on time if we would have made it.

So does anyone know if making the alternate list guarantees a spot for fall of 2013?

My dad drove by NSU today (he lives a street west of the school) and read on the marquee that "Student Acceptance Day" is March 30. Does this mean we find out if we get in by then?

Was that for the entire school or for NSU-COM specifically? If anyone finds out what that day means that would be great. I wont be able to call until Friday probably.

Now see, problems like this and the one I posted on earlier with Nova's admissions staff are clearly happening to lots of people... I have never experienced or heard of any such issues at other schools, and the fact that this is allowed to go on is completely unacceptable. Those who have been neglected or mistreated by the admissions staff need to get together and make our voices heard. We need to get absolutely furious about this, write letters, ask for refunds of our secondary application fees, and possibly even file complaints with the AOA and/or AACOMAS. Nova is shooting itself in the foot by allowing such a poorly organized and staffed admissions department to remain employed while every other school is bending over backwards to make their applicants and interviewees happy. How are they going to put together an outstanding group of doctors if they make all the good candidates mad before they even get in the front door?

The AdCom did not sit in February due to some unforeseen circumstances. decisions for both February and March interviewees should be available before the end of next week. Do bear with the school.

You are obviously faring better than some bloke who would gladly give $3000 to get the first II for a chance to make the wait-list of the University of Wapakoneta after going through 27 pre-invitation rejections.

Yea so I was also part of the experience day/interview on march 2nd. Still no word and no email back when I asked for a potential status update. Anyone else from the experience day hear anything?

Yea so I was also part of the experience day/interview on march 2nd. Still no word and no email back when I asked for a potential status update. Anyone else from the experience day hear anything?
Hi, I also attended the March 2nd experience day. I received a rather disappointing email today telling me that I had been placed on the alternate list. I suppose being invited to experience day is by no means a guaranteed acceptance. I called the admin office the day before experience day to ask if we would have interviews and was told no. I was pretty surprised when we did end up having interviews.

Anybody else in this boat?

Also these are my stats: 32R MCAT, 3.65 GPA, sGPA 3.5 something

Last edited:
Interviewed February 21 and haven't received an alternate list email. Wondering what this means because Anastasia responded to my email and said letters are going out now, if I hadn't received anything yet I will by tomorrow.

Should I be expecting an acceptance or rejection letter? Kind of hard to tell what their protocol is for notifying applicants of decisions. Earlier I thought acceptances were through email with a phone call... But with people getting wait listed through email I'm not so sure now.

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Last edited:
So we both got the same email about our decision not being delivered on time and now we are both on the alternate list. I know its pointless to ponder this but I wonder if the decision was made on time if we would have made it.

So does anyone know if making the alternate list guarantees a spot for fall of 2013?
I agree that it is pointless, but I did wonder the same thing.

I hadn't received any responses yet, either, but I am not banking on any news this soon before March 30 (the date seen on the school marquee). I haven't checked my mail today, so I can't say anything there, and I didn't see any emails in my folders, either. I just got rejected from another school (first rejection after an interview), so I really do hope I can get into a school. (And I hope we all can get into a medical school. We worked so hard for this!)

Let me know if you hear anything, and I will do the same for you as well.

Good question. I am sure my dad will pass it again, so I can always ask him tomorrow before he makes it back home from work. I will let you know what I find out. :)

I did a Google search for "student acceptance day" and got a bunch of results from different universities. This event was held (on March 30 for a couple) for accepted students and provided them with a chance to learn more about the school and community, as well as speak with people from the school.

This leads me to believe that this is what the Student Acceptance Day marquee was advertising. Therefore I do not believe that it is the day we will all find out of acceptances.

Hi, I also attended the March 2nd experience day. I received a rather disappointing email today telling me that I had been placed on the alternate list. I suppose being invited to experience day is by no means a guaranteed acceptance. I called the admin office the day before experience day to ask if we would have interviews and was told no. I was pretty surprised when we did end up having interviews.

Anybody else in this boat?

Also these are my stats: 32R MCAT, 3.65 GPA, sGPA 3.5 something

Yea i got the same email a little after posting this. So obviously not that happy, but still hoping for the best (it wasn't a NO). But I thought the same thing about the lack of an interview and then they threw it on us. But I suppose that was quite clever of them and an ultimate way to see if we truly can think on our feet. So 1 point to them. But now it is just a further waiting game.

Yea i got the same email a little after posting this. So obviously not that happy, but still hoping for the best (it wasn't a NO). But I thought the same thing about the lack of an interview and then they threw it on us. But I suppose that was quite clever of them and an ultimate way to see if we truly can think on our feet. So 1 point to them. But now it is just a further waiting game.

I wonder if the admissions office actually didn't know we were going to have interviews (they don't seem terribly organized). Maybe we weren't supposed to have interviews originally, and they realized they were running out of space in the class, and then decided to use interviews to help sort through us? Who knows. *Sigh. Now we wait and hope!

I ended up finding out today I was placed on the alternate list, and the email said it is a completely random choosing of who comes off it later. NSU is my first choice school for a few reasons. Would it help to send a letter of intent/interest in this situation?

I ended up finding out today I was placed on the alternate list, and the email said it is a completely random choosing of who comes off it later. NSU is my first choice school for a few reasons. Would it help to send a letter of intent/interest in this situation?

I received the same email today.

Writing a letter certainly couldn't hurt your situation. Especially if it is your top choice. I'm in the process of writing one myself. I hope there is some movement soon. Limbo is no fun!

Sent from my ADR6400L using SDN Mobile

Writing a letter too soon can make you look desperate. I would hold off for a week or two before sending one.

Writing a letter too soon can make you look desperate. I would hold off for a week or two before sending one.

This is true. I only finished part of it. Plan on sending it in a couple weeks, hopefully in time for the next meeting. :xf:

Hello fellow Alternate Candidates! So, I did a little detective work on last year's thread and took notes on a small sample of applicants. I recorded their wait list date (if available) and their acceptance date. I also added some of the various intermittent emails received while on the alternate list. Feel free to edit- I just wanted to give everyone some sort of basis of what happened/when it happened last year.

4/08- People that had been waiting like us from Jan/Feb/Mar start finding out about acceptances/alternate. I think most were placed in the alternate candidates pool.

anewheartx3- wait listed mid-April; Accepted about 4 days later

globally- wait listed 4/08; Accepted week of 4/29

21p- wait listed 4/08; correspondence requested on cont'd interest 4/12; email and call for updated transcript 4/27; Accepted 5/10

brasilia- wait listed ? (I: 2/24); Accepted 5/31

Tam705618- wait listed 4/08; correspondence requested on cont'd interest 4/12; Accepted 6/01 (sent LOI a few days prior)

Daisy777- wait listed ?; Accepted 6/09

meggiestarr- wait listed 4/08; correspondence requested on cont'd interest 4/12; Accepted 6/23

VillND123- wait listed ?; Accepted 6/23

et129- wait listed ?; Accepted 6/23

Run262- wait listed ?; asked if wanted to remain on waitlist 4/14; email and call for updated transcript about a month before 4/27; Accepted 6/28