NRMP Pre-Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
just a basic question I assumed I knew the answer to, but a friend of mine just made me doubt myself.

When a program (aka, pretty much ever program) has themselves listed as "NRMP participation for pre-urology years" and "resident required to take pre-urology onsite" you are given those 1/2 years of surgery if you match urology. You don't have to apply separately to their surgery program as well. Correct?

Members don't see this ad.

just a basic question I assumed I knew the answer to, but a friend of mine just made me doubt myself.

When a program (aka, pretty much ever program) has themselves listed as "NRMP participation for pre-urology years" and "resident required to take pre-urology onsite" you are given those 1/2 years of surgery if you match urology. You don't have to apply separately to their surgery program as well. Correct?
Right, but you still do need to register for the NRMP match and rank the prelim surgery program where you match urology.

Not something to worry about until after you match, at which point your program coordinator will let you know what to do. All urology programs have reserved positions in the surgery program at that place. It's just whether they require you to fill out the NRMP match stuff as a formality after GU match.