NRMP March 2021 Discussions & Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which one of these possible steps.. could address the current problems with NRMP?

• Caps on Apps

Votes: 57 22.1%
  • Caps on Interviews

Votes: 91 35.3%
  • Increase Tax

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Publish clear program cut offs

Votes: 75 29.1%
  • ERAP: Early Residency Acceptance Program

Votes: 26 10.1%
  • Other: Elaborate below

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about the 92 percent of CT surgery folks had research? Does that mean 8 percent of them didn't? How can you match CT w/o research? Is the question maybe asking directly about Bench research , perhaps?
I was speaking specifically to pediatrics and more specifically, pediatric endocrinology, hence why I highlighted that particular part of your post.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak for IM, but you realize that a vast majority of peds applicants don't have published research.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't pursue it, I mean, you totally should to everything to boost your Work/Research/Volunteer Experiences sections of the ERAS application, but generally speaking, the Research Experience section of many peds applicants isn't very robust.

Even more so speaking to pediatric endocrinology, the match rate for fellowship spots in 2020 (starting 2021) was 98.4% (ie only 1 applicant did not match) BUT 38% of the spots were left unfilled.

Just FYI.
I can't speak for IM definitely not being a PD, but tons of IM applicants have no meaningful research but tons are involved in posters or an abstract here or there. If you asked surveyed which US IM residents had pubmed indexed publications, my guess is that it would be around 50%. @NotAProgDirector may have a better vantage point to provide an estimate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe I’ve just missed it before, but they published how many applicants need to be ranked per spot for each specialty to fill. I found those numbers interesting. Even the competitive specialties have to rank 4-5 people per spot.

made a thread with some of the stuff that stood out to me this year relative to last

Why is the DO percent so much higher than the MD %?
Because despite all the wailing and screeching people do, DOs are not viewed the same by many programs in the Match, and they are overall less competitive than USMDs.

Reactions: 2 users
Because despite all the wailing and screeching people do, DOs are not viewed the same by many programs in the Match, and they are overall less competitive than USMDs.
I’m glad ya’ll didn’t take my post the wrong way. I don’t have anything against individuals who are DOs and believe there are many DO students who belong in MD programs and vice versa, but like you say, they are less competitive just like top 20 MD grads are more competitive than low tier MD students both in perception and by actual overall performance.

Last edited:
After the release of NRMP reports for 2021, and despite the modest increase in total and PGY1 number of positions offered, there is noticeable decline in the percentage of matching US MD seniors and more so in DOs associated with growing rank lists that require applicants to match lower in more competitive specialties and programs..!

This trend is destined to get worse and become feverishly less efficient to both applicants and programs alike.

The survey on top of this discussions was closed yesterday.., and results are:

- 35% Recommends caps on Interviews
- 29% Recommends publish clear programs cutoffs
- 22% Recommends caps on Apps

Our recommendations to designated committees at ACGME and AAMC would be:

- Limit the total growth of medical schools seats to 1-2% annually.
- Cap the number of GME positions in the US at 110% of total class size of US MDs/DOs each year no less no more!
- Cap on Specialty Apps to 50
- Cap on Primary care Apps to 100
- Programs ought to start publishing generalized cutoffs for their perspective applicants beside the holistic
approach to immolate what medical schools try to do to improve efficiency and yields.
- Continue the adoption of limited number of virtual interviews for schools and programs and opt for better yet in
person evaluations dependent on schools and program geographical factors and recruitment needs.
- Expand SOAP program timelines.

More recommendations will be coming forthward as the situation stabilize and new trends become more evident!

NRMP for the first time published a brief about the “Stress Factor” in a historic post pandemic survey about the new virtual environment in medical eduction and recruitment !!

Last edited:
- Cap the number of GME positions in the US at 110% of total class size of US MDs/DOs each year no less no more!
That's an awful idea. We don't have enough doctors currently, and cutting like 10k spots is insane. That's completely ignoring the fact that we import the best and brightest from other countries is one of America's greatest strengths.

After the release of NRMP reports for 2021, and despite the modest increase in total and PGY1 number of positions offered, there is noticeable decline in the percentage of matching US MD seniors and more so in DOs associated with growing rank lists that require applicants to match lower in more competitive specialties and programs..!

This trend is destined to get worse and become feverishly less efficient to both applicants and programs alike.

The survey on top of this discussions was closed yesterday.., and results are:

- 35% Recommends caps on Interviews
- 29% Recommends publish clear programs cutoffs
- 22% Recommends caps on Apps

Our recommendations to designated committees at ACGME and AAMC would be:

- Limit the total growth of medical schools seats to 1-2% annually.
- Cap on Specialty Apps to 50
- Cap on Primary care Apps to 100
- Programs ought to start publishing generalized cutoffs for their perspective applicants beside the holistic
approach to immolate what medical schools try to do to improve efficiency and yields.
- Continue the adoption of limited number of virtual interviews for schools and programs and opt for better yet in
person evaluations dependent on schools and program geographical factors and recruitment needs.
- Expand SOAP program timelines.

More recommendations will be coming forthward as the situation stabilize and new trends become more evident!

who is "we"? Are you talking about this forum? Your post reads like some quasi academic paper.

Reactions: 5 users
Residency Programs on Probation
I am 4th year medical student looking for advice on residency programs on Probation. Should I avoid applying to these programs with Probationary Accreditation?