NRMP Fellowship match violation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

acharles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have matched with the NRMP for a fellowship but I have changed my mind and no longer wish to enter the fellowship. What is the likelyhood of a waiver and could this affect my taking a position in a different speciality?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not 100% clear on your situation...but whatever you do, do not violate your contract and communicate very very clearly with all parties involved in your decision making process.

i don't know about waivers but if they have them (and i'm sure there is a way to get out under certain circumstances) and you can pull it off, just try to do everything properly and without violation of ANY contract.

i have a friend who match into a residency spot (prelim spot) but not into derm (he basically screwed himself because he thought he would get derm and didn't and ended up without a plan B). he then decided to switch specialties altogether and privately interviewed for a spot in plastics at a top program that just happened to have a spot (i guess they didn't like what they had seen and decided not to fill it with applicant from the match procress) and got the position. when he went to withdraw from his application from the prelim program they got very upset, notifed the match people and the poor guy was told that he can't break his contract and any arrangement outta the match is illegal.

he ended up losing the position at the surgicl specialty, and the position at the prelim year and was disqualified form participating in the national match program for two years!!!! he is now killing time until he can apply for residency again...it's an awful situation. he got totally screwed.

oh and this is a guy with a mind-blowing application who could've gone almost anywhere....

moral of the story, don't do anything shady whatsoever.

i don't know how fellowship works but these match people appear to be unforgiving of violations and under the table scams.

just be straight up in all of your proceedings.

I agree with the above poster. The match is a binding commitment on both parties. Most importantly, the ONLY party that can approve a waiver is the NRMP. Hence, if you call your future fellowship PD and they say "no problem, I release you from your contract", that is NOT a waiver. The NRMP must approve it.

It's unclear if the NRMP will approve a waiver for a change of heart, and either way the fellowship PD is sure to find out. Remember that the fellowship lost out on their next choice because you matched, so withdrawing now really leaves them in a hole.

Your best option(s) are these:

1. Live with it for one year, then resign; or

2. Contact your future fellowship PD and explain your situation. If they support your withdrawal, that can only help your case with the NRMP. If they don't, I doubt the NRMP will grant a waiver. You would then petition the NRMP and see what happens.

Take a look here: http://www.nrmp.org/fellow/case.html

It appears that if you give them at least 9 months of notice, you might get a waiver. If you were planning on starting July 2007, that's right now!

3. Talk to your current PD for advice - usually a good idea.

PS If it's a cardiology spot, send me a private message. I have a PGY-3 who would like a spot!