NRI from UK, wanting to continue MBBS in India

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

papillon5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Am in a bit of a sticky situation here, and would appreciate any input/opinion you guys might have on the following matter.

I have done 3 years of MBBS from UK (Queen Mary) after which I came back to India to see my family and sort out my immigration status. Turns out that the British High Commission didn't take kindly to my case and went mental on a technicality totally ruining my chances of going back and continuing MBBS in UK.

1. Now if I had to continue medicine in India, are you guys aware of any universities that accept transfer students or permit lateral entry? I have no issues with doing MBBS in India as I have grown up here and did my schooling all the way to Class XIth here, but that was in 2001. Its just that I personally don't think I have the patience and/or ability to sit through Class XIIth Physics again for the entrance exams (apologies for sounding so defeatist but trust me, I have always been mega-dumb at the subject, and given the competition for seats at the first year.....).

Just wanted to get on with things, and am really anxious. Am currently residing in Kolkata and from tomorrow I am going to start the groundwork by talking to unis here, but if you guys have any opinion/viewpoint to give me, please do share.

Members don't see this ad.

well first I would say check with the Medical council of India( MCI) to see if your university that you studied from in England is even recognised in India... If it is that would be a really big step towards getting some credit for your work there.....

umm... yeah if you dont get credit for your classwork there you still probably don't have to study ur XII standard again but you will probably have to pay a donation to get into a non govt medical college... I'm pretty sure they will give you admission on the grounds of your class work done in england... they just wont give you credit for as far as I think. But yeah I would really first check out what your options are from someone at the MCI.... they would probably know more about what you can do rather than officials at universities...

well first I would say check with the Medical council of India( MCI) to see if your university that you studied from in England is even recognised in India... If it is that would be a really big step towards getting some credit for your work there.....

umm... yeah if you dont get credit for your classwork there you still probably don't have to study ur XII standard again but you will probably have to pay a donation to get into a non govt medical college... I'm pretty sure they will give you admission on the grounds of your class work done in england... they just wont give you credit for as far as I think. But yeah I would really first check out what your options are from someone at the MCI.... they would probably know more about what you can do rather than officials at universities...

Cheers mate for giving me the MCI suggestion:). Have checked their website, and am going to contact them or a few of their officers to see what they have to say. Queen Mary University of London is one of the most popular and distinguished unis in UK, so I have no doubts about it being recognised--the only anxiety is how the med schools here accept me (if they accept at all). Yes, donation is a given for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would also try to go to a different country to see if you can get in there?

yeah emmets idea isnt too bad either... I believe if you are planning on practicing in India then come back and try to get into a college here.... but if you want to go to america or england after ur education I would suggest somewhere like America or australia for med school.... yes it is expensive but there is better infrastructure and the college staff there is also very helpful unlike india so you may be able to get credit for the work you have already done... so maybe that is an option... something to think about.... and you can pay as you go vs... a big donation amount at the start...

One month on, and after dragging my feet around with various indian education consultants aka middlemen who sell management quotas of MBBS places for anywhere in the region of 15 lacs (the new private med colleges in chennai and pondicherry-like ACS, SRM, lakshminarayana etc) to 50 lacs (more established private colleges like ramachandra) just to get admission. So yea, the ethics of this education shopping is a bit of a put-off even though its comforting that an attache case full of cash can get you a place anyday. So am keeping these Indian med colleges as a last option.

The whole bribing business put me off enough to earnestly explore options of other overseas education. Am currently in the process of putting things together for Australia (waiting for offer letters from 4 universities in which I have applied through overseas consultants) and am going to pursue a bachelors in science (majoring in either neuroscience or microbiology) and then get into a med school there via the graduate entry program (who knows if the majors interest me, I might pursue a research career for a little while before re-entering medical training). Its longwinded yes, but for some reason its given me some peace of mind than the whole under-table arrangement in place in India private med school scenario. Let's see how things pan out... the process of applying for Oz visa is woefully longwinded, but my overseas consultants seem genuinely helpful. It'll be interesting to see where I go from here. Miss my medical student days like every morning on waking up. But that's life!

Once again, thanks dggopal and emmet for your replies! At the time when I had read those replies, I was so exhausted from the rigmarole of being refused and re-refused by UK I didn't think I had it in me to once again go through the whole process for some other country, but look where I am today haha. Cheers guys, and I will keep this thread updated till I finally find a seat this July.

yeah man... don't give up... if anything life in india and the whole process of getting my education here has tought me one thing that I firmly believe in today, "It's all about the journey!"
do keep posting and let me know what happens man... take it easy