NREMT/EMT B in Denver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crumb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I’ve been lurking for some time, and I’ve got a couple of questions for you guys. I’m going to be signing up for an EMS class, and once upon completion I’ll sit for my NREMT/EMT-B certifications. It’s a semester long course.

This is something I’m doing because I want to be an EMT, and then eventually become a Paramedic. I just have a couple of concerns that I’m hoping someone here can address.

I’m noticing that none of the listings that I’m seeing for an EMT-B have an hourly rate attached. Is there an average for the Denver area? Honestly my major concern with all of this, is that I won't be able to pay my rent each month.

Also is it difficult to get an EMT job without experience in the Denver area? I’ll be doing clinicals, but I can’t imagine that counting towards any experience…

Also any general advice you could give me would be great…

Members don't see this ad.

Denver is a fairly saturated market for EMT-Basics. Straight out of EMT class you'll most likely only be able to get a job with AMR, Rural Metro or Pridemark doing BLS transfers (wheelchair, inter-facility and nursing home). You might be able to pick up a shift here and there on one of their 911 rigs, and that's how you'll get your experience. Its a long-ish road, but there is also a LOT of turn-over at these companies so you never know.
You can also try to get some 911 experience by volunteering. Either with a vol. fire department, or there might even be some ambulance companies that allow volunteering (I volunteered for Northglenn Ambulance when I was green and it was good 911 experience, but I know that the company has had a LOT of changes since those days!).
Another way to keep your skills fresh and learn more is to work as an ER tech. These jobs generally pay a bit more, so they're harder to get and you'll probably have to apply to a lot of hospitals and multiple times. ED work is NOT ambulance work though! So if your plan is to be a paramedic, you should only use this as a step to getting on with a 911 ambulance!
Also remember that EMS in Colorado and particularly in the Front Range is a VERY small community and people talk to friends at different agencies a LOT! In class, in clinicals and in whatever job you wind up getting: Work hard, be polite and know your stuff! Make friends and earn a reputation for being a good EMT and you'll get a job quick!

Good luck!
Nate.

Hey! Thanks for all the advice. Northglenn Ambulance is actually right down the street from my house, so I'll definitley check into that.