NP to medical school, need to update undergrad sciences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ballenta

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I’m a 34 yo NP, 10 years in practice. Planning on going back to school in the fall. (No kids, no spouse, and no debt, so I’m not worried about much except focusing on school). I completed my undergrad (BSN) with a 3.75 GPA, MSN & DNP with 4.0 GPA.
Question: My sciences are older than 10 years. I made all A’s in all sciences. I plan to repeat all of them because most schools want them to be no older than 5 years. Is it ok to repeat these science courses at a Community College rather than 4-year? My previous sciences were all completed at a 4-year University.
My only reason for wanting to complete them at a Community College is that I live in a rural area but have access to a Community College (30 min commute). Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi! I’m a 34 yo NP, 10 years in practice. Planning on going back to school in the fall. (No kids, no spouse, and no debt, so I’m not worried about much except focusing on school). I completed my undergrad (BSN) with a 3.75 GPA, MSN & DNP with 4.0 GPA.
Question: My sciences are older than 10 years. I made all A’s in all sciences. I plan to repeat all of them because most schools want them to be no older than 5 years. Is it ok to repeat these science courses at a Community College rather than 4-year? My previous sciences were all completed at a 4-year University.
My only reason for wanting to complete them at a Community College is that I live in a rural area but have access to a Community College (30 min commute). Thanks!
For most schools it's ok but you should look it up just to make sure.

For most schools it's ok but you should look it up just to make sure.
Thank you. I called a couple of med schools in SC where I live, and they seem ok with it. Just wanted to check with other people who may have had similar experiences. I appreciate it!

Hey! I went from NP and am currently a medical student in South Carolina! Feel free to DM me for specific questions.
I took all my prerequisites at a community college except a couple and it was never mentioned. Most nursing classes do not count as sciences unless you specifically took like bio/Chem. I actually retook all my bio and chem classes so I would be prepared for the MCAT since it had been so long ago. The community college fit in with my schedule better. I took bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, and org 1 all at a community college.

Reactions: 1 user