NP to MD: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khud19

Reaction score
My undergrad year science GPA is 2.55, my undergraduate GPA is 3.13, my masters GPA is a 3.6.

I was a single parent and a D1 athlete during my first undergraduate degree of Biomedical Sciences. My second undergraduate degree was an accelerate BSN program. My masters degree is in nursing and I did it while I worked and had 3 kids (2 under 1). I was an RN for 5 years and have been an NP for 1 year.

I feel like my background and healthcare hours would look great on my application. What are my chances to get into medical school with a MCAT above 500?

Do medical schools look at your background and circumstances when look at GPA or will GPAs automatically get you excluded?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
They would look great. I personally know several former nurses who are now in medical school, and they are excellent students and will make incredible doctors! It's true that you have great clinical experience, and most schools will highly value that. However, with all of the factors that go into a medical school acceptance, it's tough to predict what will get you a "for sure in." With several thousand applications for 100-200 seats at each school, there are applicants with great stats or incredible extracurriculars (or both) that do not get in every year. Both your UG and masters will likely be considered in admissions, but there are some schools that will weigh your masters more heavily. This chart may be a good reference as you continue in the process: GPA and MCAT Database | ProspectiveDoctor

Best of luck!

Disclaimer: I'm just an MS1 who spends way too much time on here, so other SDNers, please correct me if I'm wrong! :)

Does the 3.13 undergrad GPA include every undergrad course you have ever taken( both degrees)? You will have to explain why you are jumping from nursing to medicine. Do a search of RN->MD and see what has been said in previous posts. I’m not sure that it’s as easy as @FluffyCat1212 thinks. And your undergrad GPAs are awful. But I assume they were from a long time ago. Research DO schools as they might be your best pathway to medicine. I really have no idea what your chances are, especially without a MCAT.

Does the 3.13 undergrad GPA include every undergrad course you have ever taken( both degrees)? You will have to explain why you are jumping from nursing to medicine. Do a search of RN->MD and see what has been said in previous posts. I’m not sure that it’s as easy as @FluffyCat1212 thinks. And your undergrad GPAs are awful. But I assume they were from a long time ago. Research DO schools as they might be your best pathway to medicine. I really have no idea what your chances are, especially without a MCAT.
I'm not sure where you're getting that I said it would be easy :) Just that it would be possible because I've seen it done.

But yeah, I do agree that DO is probably your best bet. There are plenty of schools that reward reinvention, most of them DO. Knock the MCAT out of the park, craft your school list carefully, and prep hard for interviews and you might have a shot.

Members don't see this ad :)
My undergrad year science GPA is 2.55, my undergraduate GPA is 3.13, my masters GPA is a 3.6.

I was a single parent and a D1 athlete during my first undergraduate degree of Biomedical Sciences. My second undergraduate degree was an accelerate BSN program. My masters degree is in nursing and I did it while I worked and had 3 kids (2 under 1). I was an RN for 5 years and have been an NP for 1 year.

I feel like my background and healthcare hours would look great on my application. What are my chances to get into medical school with a MCAT above 500?

Do medical schools look at your background and circumstances when look at GPA or will GPAs automatically get you excluded?
In general, GPA is important but is not the end if there are other desirable elements of the application that can appeal to an admissions committee. The MCAT helps when it comes to getting to a certain performance level of critical thinking on a standardized exam requiring a ton of reading and thinking (unlike a lot of the other exams you may have had for nursing school and credentialing, perhaps).

I would reach out to a lot of schools and challenge them to see if they can find a current student or a recently-graduated alumnus/alumna who closely resembles you at the point of application. You want to be sure that the schools where you send your applications have experience looking at candidates similar to yourself.

Reactions: 1 users

DO medical schools are more forgiving of lower GPAs and MCAT scores. Consider those options as well as your MD medical school options.