NP Oversaturation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PikminOC

MD Attending Physician
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an NP friend, and this is what he said
Florida alone is estimated to have 7,640 FTE primary care NPs by 2025- but the projected demand is for 3,120. Similarly, Tennessee is estimated to have 3,100 NPs- with a projected demand of only1,400.
Even though there are geographic disparities in the distribution of primary care NPs, every state, plus the District of Columbia, is predicted to have an oversupply. No state is predicted to have a shortage of NPs by 2025.
“ believed that there is a shortage of NPs and that the shortage will continue. a recent report by the U.S. Department of Human and Health Services (DHHS) Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) says otherwise. HRSA predicts an oversupply of NPs.”
Also many nursing blogs of people reporting hardships finding jobs. Personally I have friends with NP new grad that haven’t found work yet

--
Is this true? What have you found?

Members don't see this ad.

Florida alone is estimated to have 7,640 FTE primary care NPs by 2025- but the projected demand is for 3,120. Similarly, Tennessee is estimated to have 3,100 NPs- with a projected demand of only1,400.
Even though there are geographic disparities in the distribution of primary care NPs, every state, plus the District of Columbia, is predicted to have an oversupply. No state is predicted to have a shortage of NPs by 2025.
“ believed that there is a shortage of NPs and that the shortage will continue. a recent report by the U.S. Department of Human and Health Services (DHHS) Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) says otherwise. HRSA predicts an oversupply of NPs.”
Also many nursing blogs of people reporting hardships finding jobs. Personally I have friends with NP new grad that haven’t found work yet

--
It really does matter where the NP goes to school. Students who get degrees from online schools are at a huge disadvantage in the hiring market. Many of those NP’s go into teaching or administration. Recruiters are able to be more selective, which is likely overall good for the profession, not bad.

It really does matter where the NP goes to school. Students who get degrees from online schools are at a huge disadvantage in the hiring market. Many of those NP’s go into teaching or administration. Recruiters are able to be more selective, which is likely overall good for the profession, not bad.
Lots of online DNP degrees too. !!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

--

You tell us. Healthcare systems seem to be keen to improve the bottom line through the use of NPs, potentially displacing physicians. Are you seeing more referrals from NPs? Are doctors having a hard time finding jobs at salaries that they expect to obtain?

I’ll write you a book on this subject:

I’m seeing NPs getting jobs all over. I had more than 5 full on job offers before I even graduated, and for positions that had been posted for up to several years. My new Np friends that are solid characters have landed jobs that they cultivated through networking and good reputations as students. The changes I’ve seen have tended to center on folks who haven’t networked for whatever reason.... PAs coming back to town after graduating out of state, or NPs who didn’t make good impressions or figured they would jump in and apply sight unseen after not forging relationships as a student or an RN. Those folks are all having trouble. They are the ones putting their applications in a pile with a recruiter and not seeing much interest from employers. When they do get a bite, they get the kind of offers that one should expect when a boss has a pile of interested faceless candidates, which is to say they get mediocre offers. But with me and my ilk, I’m a known entity who isn’t a risk because I’m familiar to them. I don’t get lowballed because the places I talk to don’t suck, and aren’t interested in bargain basement deals for poor performing providers. Instead, they want to forge long term relationships with people that represent the practice well. So the world where all the bad stuff is going on doesn’t exist for me because I’m not a schmuck, and I don’t try to work for schmucks, and most of my friends aren’t schmucks.

Am I waiting with trepidation for the critical mass of new providers, both PA and NP, to force the bottom to fall out of the market? I guess. But I feel like the cream tends to rise to the top in just about any environment. It’s important to pick the right friends and be willing to work hard for a good reputation.

I’m torn because I feel like any ground that NPs give up is just ripe for PAs to come in and take advantage of (their ranks are swelling as well). PAs don’t have independent practice rights anywhere, so NPs cutting back cedes the market for a profession that doesn’t have the wherewithal to adequately advocate for the advancement of nonphysician providers. NPs have led the way, and PAs have what they have, so anyone can look at all that and judge for themselves who is more apt for the struggle. I realize that my own station in life could theoretically be improved if both PA and NP matriculation numbers slowed down considerably, but where I’m at right now I don’t know how much that would really change things since I seem to be in demand as it is. As for the virtues of promoting the nonphysician provider realm as a whole, I have to say that I don’t have a lot of interest In drinking anyone’s coolaid. I’m not interested in seeing PAs be the NPP of choice, but I also don’t feel warm fuzzies for every bedside nurse chasing their dream of obtaining a prescription pad. However, I think it’s just as likely that the NP brain trust plan to flood the world with DNPs is just as likely to help their position as hurt it. They aren’t just flooding the market with prescribers, but also degree holders that have options to do all sorts of things with their degrees.... teach, manage, consult, advocate, research, drive policy.... lead. You could see them all over the place replacing a lot of folks in roles that you might not expect. When we get in these periodic conversations about DNPs, it exposes a lot of the ignorance that most folks have about the degree, since they think it’s just about prescribers. It’s not. I had boss on a regular hospital unit that had a DNP, and they were the unit director of the RNs, probably making at least as much as they would have if they were working the floor as a prescriber. I’ve seen healthcare executive level staff and CNOs that had them. Ive seen them in pubic health and in business roles. Then you have a bunch of them in academia. They are in regulatory roles as well. So they’ve made the degree into something with broad application. My friend has a DNP, and they work in a big hospital system training and consulting on electronic medical records. They’ve never used the degree to prescribe for patients. So from here, I think that there is a huge potential for all the DNPs who don’t find themselves in front of patients. They will get picked up on the back end. Nursing really wants to take over healthcare as a whole. Lately I’ve seen nurses in my former facility who are now in charge of departments such as radiology, and supply chain... places that used to be headed by folks who had little to do with nursing. Almost all education seems to be headed and staffed by nurses. there doesn’t seem to be a job that RN leadership thinks can’t be filled or overseen by nursing. Think about occupational health nurses, school nurses, public health.

So think about those kinds of roles for all the fat that is left over after the prescriber roles are filled by the better performing NPs. There are always going to be places for the excess NPs of the world. The folks who need to worry about over saturation are the PAs, because they don’t have a similar professional infrastructure like nursing does. If they aren’t in front of a patient doing their thing, then they don’t have a job doing anything remotely marketable. Maybe they can go be a drug or device rep if they think they can compete against all the folks who are sales sharks that know how to sell ice to eskimos. I’m seeing a lot more desperation with PA new grads than with the new grad NPs. The NPs who want to prescribe, and that don’t get picked up quick tend to just bide their time working their 3 shifts per week pulling in decent money as is, surviving pretty well, and making minimum payments on school loans that tend to be far less than PA school debt. If there are still no takers, they can go teach, move up the chain into management, go dabble in part time NP work, get on doing in home provider care, work for insurance companies doing utilization reviews, etc. I literally could have set up shop seeing cash paying patients and managing their psyche meds for around $200k per year if I hadn’t landed a job out of school. I have a classmate that does just that.

That all is basically a glimpse at the pulse of the NP field right now from where I sit. I’d suggest that if you see a bunch of unemployed DNPs sitting around, they probably aren’t despondent, but rather are waiting for something to happen. Those folks probably should be chasing a more defined goal. Are the underutilized? Probably. Are they in trouble? Probably not. I literally have friends who have graduated and are waiting for the right job, or going on a post graduation vacation, or taking several months off to relax. I personally wasn’t in a huge hurry to start working because I liked my RN job, and money wasn’t tight.

My area is quite oversaturated for FNPs and AGNPs. Most new grads will have to move away from the state to get jobs and I'm seeing quite a few who remained as RNs because they can't find a job.

Reactions: 1 users
Idk ask PhD people about that. I didn't realize so little was required for dnp.

I’m trying to assess what your understanding of what the DNP is. What is your understanding of what is required and the role of the DNP?

Last edited:
I’m trying to assess what your understanding of what the DNP is. What is your understanding of what is required and the role of the DNP?
To obfuscate even more that they are a "doctor" when presented to patients.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

They are doctors. They aren’t physicians. The DNP is a research/practice doctorate, with a specific role centered on translating evidence into practice at the system level. Hope that helps.

• Haha
They are doctors. They aren’t physicians. The DNP is a research/practice doctorate, with a specific role centered on translating evidence into practice at the system level. Hope that helps.
I see many np already not correct patients when patients mistake them for doctors. This dnp thing makes it worse. I see these dnp out in private practice. Patients don't know the difference and aren't told

Reactions: 2 users

I think you are simply obfuscating the fact that you don’t really know much about what the DNP is all about.

It has application beyond simply the clinical NP realm, and was set up that way for a reason. You literally can google “doctorate of nursing practice” and get tons of background on it from just the first page of returns. Even the Wikipedia article gives a good overview. I suspect that your purpose could be to troll, though, so it probably not useful to approach you as if you are an honest seeker of truth. But anyone else reading this can draw some good conclusions by the conversation, as well as getting a glimpse of your stance to serve as a reminder of what you are up to.

But suffice it to say for folks reading in on the conversation, the DNP is meant to be a broad based degree with broad applications to practice management, administration, healthcare leadership, management, etc. Nursing wants to hold on to the ground they’ve gained in healthcare and make inroads. If healthcare is ever nationalized, Nursing wants nurses involved in everything you can think of, especially from an administration and regulatory role. I like to use the saying I came up with that the DNP has more to do with getting farther in the board room than the exam room. All you have to do is look at DNP curriculum to see what it’s all about. Coursework has a lot to do with administration, regulation, performance improvement, advocacy, leadership, policy, etc. Its not that complicated to see that the end goal isn’t to compete with physicians on their turf, it’s to be more on the administrative side making strategic decisions, or even simply engaged in management. If healthcare ever makes the jump to being universal, then nursing wants to form the backbone of the workforce.

Coolaid drinking nurses may want to replace doctors in some roles, but I think it’s more likely that they want to replace everyone in public health with a nurse, most folks in hospital and clinic management, most people in healthcare operations, and most folks in ancillary roles. Those who they don’t want to replace directly, they would settle for having direct control over. So while they would love to replace radiology techs with nurses if they could, they will settle for being directors of radiology departments. The pinpoint is that there are bigger fish to fry than just confusing patients with a doctorate as a title.

I think this year more NPs were churned out than physicians. It may even be that more NPs were produced than physicians and PAs combined. What could be ahead isn’t so much a glut of prescribers, but a glut of folks out there in the healthcare workforce that will be happy to use their degree to move into roles away from the bedside or exam room, and into all those other roles I highlighted. You are still thinking too small when you worry about DNPs confusing your patients. Nursing leadership wants to replace the folks in the front office that have MHAs, and the business people that run clinics. They want to be on boards of directorships and boards of trustees. They want to be in charge of approving budgets, developing regulations, instituting policies, handling initiatives, and allocating resources. They want to be your bosses, and take a bigger piece out of your pie, and maybe a little bit out of your workload and leave you the hard stuff that they have no way of doing. Nurses don’t want to do surgery, they want to be in charge of the aspects that surround surgery. The consolidation of medical practices only makes that sort of approach more feasible. So think bigger and be even more afraid. Nurses want to own healthcare and make you guys high priced expert employees rather than primary drivers of care.

This has already happened all over the place. Who has more power, the American medical association or the various nursing lobbying entities? In every poll of most trusted profession in America, who has lead the list every year for 18 years? It’s not doctors (who are a very distant second to nurses). I think it could actually do you guys some good to be mistaken for nurses when you walk into the room.

Last edited:
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The society of NP has royally screwed the NP and also the PA field.

Many/most jobs treat PA/NP as equals. These jobs can care less if the NP went to a physical school or an online diploma mill.

If they can get their NP, get credentialed, they will be hired if the price is right and can professionally interact.

As with everything, supply and demand will dictate salary. If there are 3 NP/PA for each job, that will drive the salaries down as low as possible.

If med school start opening online MD programs and produce 3x the current supply/residency spots, same thing would happen to physician salary. Any competent business, ie hospitals, would be financially inept to not lower the salaries.

The society of NP has royally screwed the NP and also the PA field.

Many/most jobs treat PA/NP as equals. These jobs can care less if the NP went to a physical school or an online diploma mill.

If they can get their NP, get credentialed, they will be hired if the price is right and can professionally interact.

As with everything, supply and demand will dictate salary. If there are 3 NP/PA for each job, that will drive the salaries down as low as possible.

If med school start opening online MD programs and produce 3x the current supply/residency spots, same thing would happen to physician salary. Any competent business, ie hospitals, would be financially inept to not lower the salaries.
This is not true. NP candidates from in person programs are hired preferentially over online programs.

This is not true. NP candidates from in person programs are hired preferentially over online programs.

Keep telling yourself this. We hired alot of PAs and NPs for our ER group. I would say we hired 100+ over 5 yrs and these are the most important criteria to be hired.

1. Did you work in our ER as a good/hardworking nurse and got your NP degree online (The vast majority do it online)? If yes, then you are hired before the job is even posted
2. Is there a doc in our group who recommends you? If yes, then your hired
3. Is there an NP in our group that recommends you?
4. Any other recommendations or personal reference from anyone with connections to our group.

If we still had any spots left, then we post it and typically got many applications. After weeding some out (and we never weed someone out b.c they did an online program), we did interviews. we would pick whoever we felt had the best personality for our group.

WE NEVER put much stock in doing an online vs physical program. NEVER.

Some places may, some doc office may, but I bet that most places go by the same hiring practice we had.

We never saw any difference from an ER nurse doing an online program and someone who when to a physical program.

All new hires typically are green and we teach them what is needed.

Keep telling yourself this. We hired alot of PAs and NPs for our ER group. I would say we hired 100+ over 5 yrs and these are the most important criteria to be hired.

1. Did you work in our ER as a good/hardworking nurse and got your NP degree online (The vast majority do it online)? If yes, then you are hired before the job is even posted
2. Is there a doc in our group who recommends you? If yes, then your hired
3. Is there an NP in our group that recommends you?
4. Any other recommendations or personal reference from anyone with connections to our group.

If we still had any spots left, then we post it and typically got many applications. After weeding some out (and we never weed someone out b.c they did an online program), we did interviews. we would pick whoever we felt had the best personality for our group.

WE NEVER put much stock in doing an online vs physical program. NEVER.

Some places may, some doc office may, but I bet that most places go by the same hiring practice we had.

We never saw any difference from an ER nurse doing an online program and someone who when to a physical program.

All new hires typically are green and we teach them what is needed.

I know NPs that were passed up for positions because of where they went to school despite having half the group wanting them there. I’ve seen the opposite. So I’ll keep telling myself that.

NP is following the Pharm path. When you open too many school, have too many spots, and produce too many certified NPs then you have put great pressure on your income and value.

Even if you could train NPs side by side with med students/residents, do you really think someone will pay you much more than an online trained NP?

NP is following the Pharm path. When you open too many school, have too many spots, and produce too many certified NPs then you have put great pressure on your income and value.

Even if you could train NPs side by side with med students/residents, do you really think someone will pay you much more than an online trained NP?
That may be true, but hospital administration and nursing faculty are littered with people who are NP’s in name only. This is different from pharm.

I’d echo what was said about networking being the biggest factor in landing a job. Maybe in a big pile of anonymous applications you’ll see the powers that be using the reputation of school as a filter to whittle things down a bit because it’s easy. Id hate to be in that pile as a new grad regardless of what school I went to because it’s a numbers game at that point. On the flip side, everyone applying that way knows they are likely to be facing a job that is probably not a great one, because the best jobs don’t need to do that... they reach out by word of mouth and look for people that are worth the better wages they are offering. It’s more important for them to find the right folks. That’s a little pro tip for job seekers. When I read threads about folks who just can’t get hired, it’s usually someone who you would expect would have those kinds of problems.

There’s not a big difference between an in-person on-campus NP program and an online or online-hybrid NP program as far as quality of outcome. One student spends more time in traffic and battling scarce parking while contorting their studies awkwardly according to an arbitrary schedule vs the other student that utilizes their time efficiently around everyday needs in the convenience and comfort of their home. I got my NP degree from a respected hybrid program almost exclusively in the middle of the night in a quiet room of my house. This allowed me to study around my work schedule, which provided me with over $275k of income during that period of my life. I performed better in clinical than any of the students from the local in-person NP program. My schools reputation was better than the local in person state program. My program would not have been any better if it had required me to head out of state to live there and attend in person. My program allowed me greater efficiency with my energy, and a better learning environment. In-person lecturing can only go as fast as the slowest learner, and I don’t need to be bogged down on someone else’s questions for the professor. I enjoy being able to put the lecture on 2x speed and blaze through the parts I already know, and repeat parts that I’m not sure about, or pause it and look up supplemental info on the topic to go more in depth if I need to. Nobody has ever explained how in person is superior to online unless they insert their own weaknesses for not being self motivated, too distractible, or lacking the savvy to navigate a self structured format.

Another thing.... I picked my rotations. People complain about their program requiring them to find their own. I considered it a fantastic opportunity to settle in with the best people to train me. I rotated with some of the best physicians in my community. Subsequently, I got the best job offers around from those preceptors, and had compelling references for networking amongst others. People wanted me to work for them because they saw who trained me. In addition, everyone saw that I was actively working in the field as an RN, and was able to hold it all together. Being successful is heavily based upon making the most of what you have on hand to work with. A lot of people don’t have a clue what they are doing wrong with their approach, and often have just never been taught, nor pay much mind to how the system can work better for them. The only people who are threatened by these new market conditions are those who expect to have opportunities presented to them. People who chase down success with always do well.

SDN: The fact that you can get NP didactics online is proof of why it's so pathetic..
Also SDN: I would never go to a medical school with mandatory attendance, it's more efficient to sit at home and self study..

Online/hybrid didactic education IS the model of the future. 20 years from now, I predict live, in-person lectures will be in the dramatic minority.

We're not talking clinicals here.. I'm not aware of any program that would do clinicals online, or even how that would be possible..

SDN: The fact that you can get NP didactics online is proof of why it's so pathetic..
Also SDN: I would never go to a medical school with mandatory attendance, it's more efficient to sit at home and self study..

Online/hybrid didactic education IS the model of the future. 20 years from now, I predict live, in-person lectures will be in the dramatic minority.

We're not talking clinicals here.. I'm not aware of any program that would do clinicals online, or even how that would be possible..

I look back at in person lectures and marvel at even something as simple as the time block that in-person courses are forced into due to the space they occupy.

I’ve taught in university as an instructor, and so I’ve filled the role of “expert”. There’s nothing magical about the situation that makes an in person venue superior for my students compared to what a skilled educator can put together and present online. Labs are a different story, but even then, I could probably put together a lot of great overview material for a lab that makes a lab moot if I worked it up correctly. Not everything could be handled that way, but many or most could. In the past, we gathered together to learn because we had to, not because of superior merit behind it.

Funny story: I once worked for a professor who had a course that was put together so well that everyone was aceing it without showing up to class because the PowerPoints were so good that nobody needed to. After the professor figured this out, key points were removed from the published PowerPoints and only offered in class to the folks that went. Next test, most folks fared poorly. So then a few folks would take turns to go and get the info in class and pass it on to be distributed amongst the rest of the students. Attendance went back down, and test scores went back up. So then in class quizes were instituted to force people to show up in-person. Grades went back down....first because it took time for word to get out that the quizes were in effect, but this also took place after everyone got word they had to come to class to pass. So after a while, with poor grades even amongst the students showing up, it seemed clear that being in class didn’t end up helping students master the material better than when they never showed up. The professor told me that the classroom experience was valuable enough that it needed to be promoted. Also, they didn’t want to lose their job lecturing in-person in favor of simply recording one of their lectures for rebroadcast. Incidentally, I was one of the first students a few semesters prior who quit going to class and still aced it.

I think one of the biggest problem with online degree mills is that it puts the burden of securing clinical rotations in the hand of the attendee. They can then subsequently find someone who is not accustomed to clinical education and therefore may not be teaching them the appropriate knowledge. Furthermore, even my DO school classes all have pre-recorded lectures, but we obviously have mandatory skills labs Tuesday-Thursday, so even if you didn't go to class, there is still far too much hands on material that needs to be learned. You cannot learn these things if you're all online on top of the burden of clinicals being extremely sub-par....

Do these "online degree mills" only take students from their local region and force them to show up to get these hands on labs done?

I think one of the biggest problem with online degree mills is that it puts the burden of securing clinical rotations in the hand of the attendee. They can then subsequently find someone who is not accustomed to clinical education and therefore may not be teaching them the appropriate knowledge. Furthermore, even my DO school classes all have pre-recorded lectures, but we obviously have mandatory skills labs Tuesday-Thursday, so even if you didn't go to class, there is still far too much hands on material that needs to be learned. You cannot learn these things if you're all online on top of the burden of clinicals being extremely sub-par....

Do these "online degree mills" only take students from their local region and force them to show up to get these hands on labs done?

I 100% agree that a reputable program should secure appropriate clinical education, but lets be honest, we're talking about two diffrent issues here..

1. Strength of didactic material, which hopefully we can agree can be produced through online, self study, or in person lecture.
2. Strength of clinical training. This goes beyond simply securing clinical sites and preceptors but should include ensuring those clinical sites and preceptors are appropriate. If SDN has taught me anything, it's that poor clinical rotations happen with medical students as well.

So really, the issues in education aren't unique to NP school..

2. Strength of clinical training. This goes beyond simply securing clinical sites and preceptors but should include ensuring those clinical sites and preceptors are appropriate. If SDN has taught me anything, it's that poor clinical rotations happen with medical students as well.

So really, the issues in education aren't unique to NP school..
I guess 3 to 7 years residency do not mean anything to you.

Reactions: 4 users
I guess 3 to 7 years residency do not mean anything to you.

I'm sorry that's what you drew from my statement..

I was merely commenting on the general lamentation against "online diploma mills", not comparing MD to NP..

Last edited:
I'm sorry that's what you drew from my statement..

I was merely commenting on the general lamentation against "online diploma mills", not comparing MD to NP..

Poor rotations amongst medical students are usually isolated incidents. even if your classmate had one bad preceptor, one bad rotation, because the school is paying them for their time, they usually can "crack the whip" and either change sites or discuss the matters with the attending. when you're at the mercy of whoever is just nicest to you to accept you, you can be easily stuck in a bad situation. Even a bad rotation for a med student can be beneficial because of the intense studying that is done with an expected shelf exam at the end of said 4 week block.

The thread topic is NP over saturation. As is typical, some folks have taken over to turn it to a other gripe about training. Should we bring it back to what the original poster inquired about? Otherwise it’s another thread derailed by trolling.

The thread topic is NP over saturation. As is typical, some folks have taken over to turn it to a other gripe about training. Should we bring it back to what the original poster inquired about? Otherwise it’s another thread derailed by trolling.

But don't you think it's a two-fold issue? There wouldn't be such over-saturation if there wasn't such a proliferation of schools without the adequate resources to provide for those students. I see posts about NPs looking for preceptors all the time. This is why Wegman's (North East Grocery Store) doesn't even expand too fast - they know if they outgrow their organic food supply, they can no longer provide high quality organic produce to all their stores.

Again.... The thread topic is NP over saturation. Bit***ing about MDs superior education over NPs or PAs, which seems to be what every conversation devolves into when you guys come around to inflate your egos, distracts from the actual topic. It’s literally.... every.... time. Every time. Every time. Every time. Thanks for your concern trolling. It’s recognized as such.

Your analogy about Wegmans is so far off the mark as well that I could spend several paragraphs tearing it apart just off the top of my head.

I get many np students ask to rotate at my office.
This is very different from the education med students get with inpatient experience and faculty who is dedicated and paid for supervising and teaching med students.
And nbme shelf exams to keep the knowledge base the same.

There are nurses, crna, no who have gone to medical school. They clearly say how much more rigorous med school is and how much deeper the knowledge is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
NP fields has been saturated throughout the years. One of my family members has been struggling to find a job as an NP in California. I personally feel like the NP schools are just pumping out new graduates like crazy in California. I've heard from several employers that they're tired of hiring and training incompetent NP's.

NP fields has been saturated throughout the years. One of my family members has been struggling to find a job as an NP in California. I personally feel like the NP schools are just pumping out new graduates like crazy in California. I've heard from several employers that they're tired of hiring and training incompetent NP's.

That’s probably the case. NP and PA programs are expanding to the point where one really has to take the time to distinguish ones-self to land a job (over 50 new PA programs are currently trying to gain accreditation).

I received NP job offers from every location I rotated through during clinical, and had a bidding war going on among all but one. All of these places came to me. One particular offer was extended just a couple weeks into the rotation. That location was a well regarded entity that trains PAs, NPs, medical students, and residents, and is one of the largest of its kind in the region. They get to pick from among the best that come through, and simply landing a rotation is competitive. They hire the best that they find that come through, and pay them well. I had two entities outside of my clinical rotations that approached me due to one person I rotated with referring me, and the other was acquainted with one of my rotation sites by having changed jobs.

However......I applied to two places without doing any networking even though I could have called up someone I knew at one of them to have an “in”. Neither entity reached out to me, even though I’ve seen ads from one of them on a recruiting site. What that tells me is that while NP and PA schools might not be as competitive as medical schools are at the front end, the new reality is more competition on the back end. Graduates will have to network aggressively, obtain clinical sites strategically, and perform exceptionally in order to land a good job. Otherwise they will be sitting around wondering why nobody is coming to them or returning calls. This is different than what it used to be, but I’m fine with that. It served me well because I assumed this would be the case years ago when everyone I know with all sorts of undergrad degrees started applying to PA and nursing schools.

--

This is what happens when becoming an NP is easier than becoming a Delta Flight attendant
3r3tvp.jpg

Reactions: 16 users
Patients should be notified that they are seeing a nurse, and not a Doctor and the clinic hiring them should have a big board outside saying that a "nurse" will be treating you... not a doctor....

Reactions: 6 users
NP curriculum is not even close to medical school. Thats why I am an NP and go back to medical school. Saturation is real in Texas simply because of supply and demand. Anyone with or even without a nursing degree can be accepted into online NP programs, as there are programs that grant NP degree for those without prior nursing experience. Essentially, you can become a NP but you are not a nurse.
And dont event let me start about DNP degree, its like PAs with Doctor of Medical Science. The curriculum is baed on cap stone project, without going in depth about pathophysiology. Its no difference than those quality improvement projects that I have been doing.

NP curriculum is not even close to medical school. Thats why I am an NP and go back to medical school. Saturation is real in Texas simply because of supply and demand. Anyone with or even without a nursing degree can be accepted into online NP programs, as there are programs that grant NP degree for those without prior nursing experience. Essentially, you can become a NP but you are not a nurse.
And dont event let me start about DNP degree, its like PAs with Doctor of Medical Science. The curriculum is baed on cap stone project, without going in depth about pathophysiology. Its no difference than those quality improvement projects that I have been doing.
Well, they are doctors

Patients should be notified that they are seeing a nurse, and not a Doctor and the clinic hiring them should have a big board outside saying that a "nurse" will be treating you... not a doctor....
They have no incentive to tell the patient they are seeing a mid-level. Hospitals obfuscate all the time

Who will enforce? I mean really think about this.
Easy. CMS and joint comission.

But it ain't gonna happen. Nurses have taken over. See PAMACs comments about them in management.

You want a citation for a hypothetical?

All CMS or JC would have to do is create a rule that all patients given a 1 page handout that they are seeing a non-physician.

You want a citation for a hypothetical?

All CMS or JC would have to do is create a rule that all patients given a 1 page handout that they are seeing a non-physician.

Which would be an unprecedented rule to invoke given the fact that nothing else similar exists. It would open Pandora’s box for PAs because they also would have to hand such a notice out as well. But maybe boatswain could make up his own notice to hand out to his patients in his rural ED where he works running “solo” so that they know his facility is running their ER on the cheap.

Docs and healthcare entities making tons of money on the backs of PAs and NPs being their force multipliers also don’t want this undermining their model for access to care. Why would they actively want to undermine their providers and encourage patients to ask for physicians every time they came in?

So no... it’s not just the mean nurses that keep ideas such as that at bay.

With all this talk about how awesome it is for NPs to tack on a doctorate so they can go around and look silly by identifying themselves as “doctors”, it presents a convincing argument for me to upend my life by going back to school and get one. What a perk! That’s what I need in my life right now is to go back to get a terminal degree just to do that! Then I can sit in the doctors lounge and exchange war stories with everyone in a way that completely lacks self awareness! “Hey, I totally know how you feel about residency being a beast. When I was working on my doctoral project......”

You guys..... smh.

I’m now working telemedicine/telenursepractitioning/telemedicalcarepractitioning for my facility, and doing just fine with my non-doctor moniker. I’ll remind you folks again that nurses are the most trusted profession by almost 20 points in an annual poll, and have been #1 for the last 18 years. This will continue. We are just fine with our name. Hopefully you guys don’t try to steal ours to improve your image. I’m looking at PAs on that one. The PAs are in the process of considering an official name change campaign that would hijack the term “practitioner” from NPs and make it their own. The push is on within the AAPA to remake the title of physician assistants into “medical care practitioners”, and to colloquially switch the vernacular to “medical practitioners” for everyday encounters. How’s that for taking someone else’s title and running with it?

Last edited:
With all this talk about how awesome it is for NPs to tack on a doctorate so they can go around and look silly by identifying themselves as “doctors”, it presents a convincing argument for me to upend my life by going back to school and get one. What a perk! That’s what I need in my life right now is to go back to get a terminal degree just to do that! Then I can sit in the doctors lounge and exchange war stories with everyone in a way that completely lacks self awareness! “Hey, I totally know how you feel about residency being a beast. When I was working on my doctoral project......”

You guys..... smh.

I’m now working telemedicine/telenursepractitioning/telemedicalcarepractitioning for my facility, and doing just fine with my non-doctor moniker. I’ll remind you folks again that nurses are the most trusted profession by almost 20 points in an annual poll, and have been #1 for the last 18 years. This will continue. We are just fine with our name. Hopefully you guys don’t try to steal ours to improve your image. I’m looking at PAs on that one.
They let NP/PA in the doctors lounge where you work! :p