NP lies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
But one of the complaints I've heard about outpatient medical practice in many fields is that docs get bored seeing the same low-acuity cases.

Add to that, there don't seem to be enough doctors to go around.

Why not segue to a system where midlevels handle basics and MDs take the complex cases?

I think a more concerning question is, are the midlevels going to *recognize* when they need to call in backup? I'd be more worried about targeting their education towards knowing when to call for help and less worried about taking contact dermatitis cases away from MDs.

You're missing the point. That is what they were trained for, to help out MD's & DO's with the more typical cases. I don't think anybody has a problem with that. The issue is that their organizations are reaching far beyond that...that's what this conversation is about.

Members don't see this ad.

Not looking to start anything but all of our medical degrees are Bachelors of Medicine. The residency is technically the graduate portion with fellowships maxing out at master's level.

Oh noes! You just didn't!

New article not sure if anyone posted it yet...

ACP urges doctors and NPs to work together
The internists group says physician shortages are hindering access to primary care.

The theme of a paper released Feb. 17 by the American College of Physicians is simple -- doctors and nurse practitioners must collaborate to improve primary care.

The policy paper emphasizes that physicians should lead in caring for patients and warns against replacing primary care physicians with nurse practitioners. It also opposes licensing nurse practitioners via Step 3 of the U.S. Medical Licensing Exam, having the National Board of Medical Examiners certify them for doctor of nursing practice degrees, and referring to DNPs as "doctor."

http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2009/03/02/prsa0302.htm

I've been to allnurses.com. My impression is that they b1tch about us approximately as much as we b1tch about them. (Do a search for "stupid calls from nurses" on sdn why don't you?)

But anyway, how is that at all relevant to the question of whether they ought, with appropriate training, be allowed to manage low-complexity cases?

Yeah, I kind of agree with the other poster-- I think that's what they're doing now, and in some states without the supervision of the physician. If I'm correct, the DNP movement is seeking to expand the scope of the nurse practitioner basically into the field of the physician-- they want the job of an internist/family practitioner, they want to handle high level complexity cases and think they can d/t the fact that their training is equivalent to that of a physicians, plus they see the pt more holistically and are better able to coordinate their care.

You're missing the point. That is what they were trained for, to help out MD's & DO's with the more typical cases. I don't think anybody has a problem with that. The issue is that their organizations are reaching far beyond that...that's what this conversation is about.

If you'll read the post I quoted, Taurus is saying he thinks the issue is fear of DNPs "cherry-picking" the easy cases.

I respond by saying I don't think that's the heart of the matter.

(The point by silas2642 about nurses disliking drs is totally irrelevant as far as I can see - although incidentally I do think it's blown out of proportion.)

If I weren't afraid for patient safety, I'd agree with McGillGrad: let them practice independently if they want to take on the associated responsibility and malpractice suits.

That would eventually equilibrate out to patients staying away from independently practicing DNPs... but it would take several high-profile lawsuits and a lot of collateral damage.

If you'll read the post I quoted, Taurus is saying he thinks the issue is fear of DNPs "cherry-picking" the easy cases.

Perhaps I should elaborate. Nursing has a number of goals:

1) They want to practice autonomously in all states and in all clinical settings. They have succeeded in 23 states, mostly large but sparsely populated states like Alaska. To get the other 27 states, the nurses have concluded they need the DNP to convince the lawmakers in those states that they are equivalent to physicians.
2) They want the same scope and privileges. They want to be able to diagnose anything and be able to prescribe any class of drugs and order any tests without conferring with a physician. They want full hospital privileges.
3) They want to be reimbursed the same amount as physicians when they practice autonomously. Right now, they get 85% of the Medicare physician rate if they practice autonomously. Many insurance carriers won't recognize independent NP's right now either.
4) They want to get into the specialties because that's where the real money is at.
5) They want this all by being able to get their DNP degree online and with as little as 600 clinical training hours.

If all this comes true, you can extrapolate what they will do by assuming simple human behavior which is make the most money for as little work as possible.

Even though they will introduce themselves as "doctor", these DNP's will know that they don't have the same qualifications as physicians. It is too risky for them to take on the most complex cases. The threat of a lawsuit is too great. It is far, far easier to take the easiest cases, make easy money, and refer the complex cases to the physicians. You greatly reduce your liability risk and at the same time make good money. Smart NP/DNP's will choose specialties that will allow them to work good hours, have low liability (few patients will die or suffer if you delay diagnosis or proper treatment), and good income. Derm is a great example. As a physician, you have to remember that most of your patients are routine cases. If NP/DNP's achieve all of these goals, you could see 30-50% decline in the patients walking through your door. It's much easier and faster to train an NP/DNP and independent NP/DNP clinics could open near yours to compete with you. If you're a physician, it is misleading to me and the general public to have someone say that they can provide the same health services as you can but they are a DNP.

Derm is just one example. DNP's will no doubt try to invade every non-surgical specialty and setting that they can, because there are a limited number of good hours, low liability, good income type opportunities out there for both physicians and DNP's. Remember that by 2015 you will have about 200 DNP programs across the country.

Perhaps I should elaborate. Nursing has a number of goals:

1) They want to practice autonomously in all states and in all clinical settings. They have succeeded in 23 states, mostly large but sparsely populated states like Alaska. To get the other 27 states, the nurses have concluded they need the DNP to convince the lawmakers in those states that they are equivalent to physicians.
2) They want the same scope and privileges. They want to be able to diagnose anything and be able to prescribe any class of drugs and order any tests without conferring with a physician. They want full hospital privileges.
3) They want to be reimbursed the same amount as physicians when they practice autonomously. Right now, they get 85% of the Medicare physician rate if they practice autonomously. Many insurance carriers won't recognize independent NP's right now either.
4) They want to get into the specialties because that's where the real money is at.
5) They want this all by being able to get their DNP degree online and with as little as 600 clinical training hours.

If all this comes true, you can extrapolate what they will do by assuming simple human behavior which is make the most money for as little work as possible.

Even though they will introduce themselves as "doctor", these DNP's will know that they don't have the same qualifications as physicians. It is too risky for them to take on the most complex cases. The threat of a lawsuit is too great. It is far, far easier to take the easiest cases, make easy money, and refer the complex cases to the physicians. You greatly reduce your liability risk and at the same time make good money. Smart NP/DNP's will choose specialties that will allow them to work good hours, have low liability (few patients will die or suffer if you delay diagnosis or proper treatment), and good income. Derm is a great example. As a physician, you have to remember that most of your patients are routine cases. If NP/DNP's achieve all of these goals, you could see 30-50% decline in the patients walking through your door. It's much easier and faster to train an NP/DNP and independent NP/DNP clinics could open near yours to compete with you. If you're a physician, it is misleading to me and the general public to have someone say that they can provide the same health services as you can but they are a DNP.

Derm is just one example. DNP's will no doubt try to invade every non-surgical specialty and setting that they can, because there are a limited number of good hours, low liability, good income type opportunities out there for both physicians and DNP's. Remember that by 2015 you will have about 200 DNP programs across the country.

Very good explanation. Pretty damn scarey and also, pretty damn insulting. Amazing we are taking this laying down

Even though they will introduce themselves as "doctor", these DNP's will know that they don't have the same qualifications as physicians. It is too risky for them to take on the most complex cases. The threat of a lawsuit is too great. It is far, far easier to take the easiest cases, make easy money, and refer the complex cases to the physicians. You greatly reduce your liability risk and at the same time make good money. Smart NP/DNP's will choose specialties that will allow them to work good hours, have low liability (few patients will die or suffer if you delay diagnosis or proper treatment), and good income. Derm is a great example. As a physician, you have to remember that most of your patients are routine cases. If NP/DNP's achieve all of these goals, you could see 30-50% decline in the patients walking through your door. It's much easier and faster to train an NP/DNP and independent NP/DNP clinics could open near yours to compete with you

I understand your point. And it's certainly concerning.

But I'm not entirely sure it can still happen. You can nitpick across different fields but I'll do it in derm because that's what I'm interested in.

Skin checks are a routine part of dermatology. Would DNP's take on the liability of performing a skin check and missing routine cancers? And I'm assuming/hoping no DNP would attempt to take on the path part of dermatology.

Acne is a routine part of dermatology. AFAIK, Accutane can still only be prescribed by dermatologists.

Biopsies/excisions are a routine part of dermatology. True, the majority are easy enough a med student could accomplish it. But there are some where biopsy technique can really influence diagnosis and ultimately treatment. Whether it's neoplastic lesions or deep dermal lesions. Would a DNP know appropriate biopsy techniques? Would they be willing to assume the liability of misdiagnosing because of inappropriate biopsies?

I can't believe I'm stepping into this one, but the discussion of what the degree is becomes a message of semantics. Regardless of whether one has an MD in the US/Canada or an MBBS/MBBCh/MBBchBAO from the UK and associated countries, or the equivalent, it is the entry level for medicine - the baccalaureate. Even if a program in the US issues an MD, all of the descriptors are "undergraduate medical education". That is why residency is described as "graduate medical education".

And I'm not just making this up. Don't believe me? Enter "undergraduate medical education" into Google, and see all of the US medical schools that pop up as links.

You seem to have some anger issues...lol

I understand that it is diffuclt to think outside the narrow confines of your limited abilities, but the term 'bachelor of...' is not restricted to arts and sceinece undergraduate education in college. :laugh:

Unless you learned medicine in undergrad (which no ones does, it is a rhetorical scenario), then your medical degree is a bachelors in medicine. Your residency is your graduate training to specialize.

The diploma says "Doctor of Medicine." Just like every PhD's diploma says "Doctor of _____." If you were getting a bachelors in medicine. It would say so. The degree is not equivalent to the PhD though. It is called a first professional degree in the US. The US Department of Education designates that "They are considered graduate-level programs in the U.S. system because they follow prior undergraduate studies, but they are in fact first degrees in these professional subjects."

www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/professional.doc

Last edited:
Yes, I see your point and wanted to remind people that it is simple Semantics. Oxford physicians receive bachelors of medicine and Dr. William Osler (who was one of the founders of Johns Hopkins University medical school) has a bachelors of medicine from McGill University in Montreal. Yet, that is more of a title than a reflection on the level of studies.

At the time time, bachelors = first level studies = medical degree because we complete the first level of medical training. Nonetheless, it is semantics.

The diploma says "Doctor of Medicine." Just like every PhD's diploma says "Doctor of _____." If you were getting a bachelors in medicine. It would say so. The degree is not equivalent to the PhD though. It is called a first professional degree in the US. The US Department of Education designates that "They are considered graduate-level programs in the U.S. system because they follow prior undergraduate studies, but they are in fact first degrees in these professional subjects."

www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/professional.doc

Thanks for succinctly stating what I wanted to state in several different posts (albeit incoherently)

I can't believe I'm stepping into this one, but the discussion of what the degree is becomes a message of semantics. Regardless of whether one has an MD in the US/Canada or an MBBS/MBBCh/MBBchBAO from the UK and associated countries, or the equivalent, it is the entry level for medicine - the baccalaureate. Even if a program in the US issues an MD, all of the descriptors are "undergraduate medical education". That is why residency is described as "graduate medical education".

And I'm not just making this up. Don't believe me? Enter "undergraduate medical education" into Google, and see all of the US medical schools that pop up as links.

who cares? the point is. when one is referred to as a DOctor .. they mean PHYSICIAN.. regardless of whether of not that DOCTOR has a undergrad degree or not. A pHysician is a doctor in the realm of the hospital. A dentist is a doctor.. a podiatrist is a doctor... a nurse.. is not a doctor.. Im sorry..

who cares? the point is. when one is referred to as a DOctor .. they mean PHYSICIAN.. regardless of whether of not that DOCTOR has a undergrad degree or not. A pHysician is a doctor in the realm of the hospital. A dentist is a doctor.. a podiatrist is a doctor... a nurse.. is not a doctor.. Im sorry..

The post you quoted is about another topic. Not the original topic.

I understand your point. And it's certainly concerning.

But I'm not entirely sure it can still happen. You can nitpick across different fields but I'll do it in derm because that's what I'm interested in.

Skin checks are a routine part of dermatology. Would DNP's take on the liability of performing a skin check and missing routine cancers? And I'm assuming/hoping no DNP would attempt to take on the path part of dermatology.

Acne is a routine part of dermatology. AFAIK, Accutane can still only be prescribed by dermatologists.

Biopsies/excisions are a routine part of dermatology. True, the majority are easy enough a med student could accomplish it. But there are some where biopsy technique can really influence diagnosis and ultimately treatment. Whether it's neoplastic lesions or deep dermal lesions. Would a DNP know appropriate biopsy techniques? Would they be willing to assume the liability of misdiagnosing because of inappropriate biopsies?

People need to realize and understand that a DNP can do whatever the hell they want as long as the BON (Board of Nursing) says they can. They are not UNDER any medical board whatsoever. They can see patients independently, diagnose, treat, do biopsies, and whatever else, as long as the BON says they can. Most people don't understand this, and it's never really been an issue, until recently when nurses decided they wanted to practice medicine without going to medical school. Medicine really needs to get on their game and nip this mess in the bud.

People need to realize and understand that a DNP can do whatever the hell they want as long as the BON (Board of Nursing) says they can. They are not UNDER any medical board whatsoever. They can see patients independently, diagnose, treat, do biopsies, and whatever else, as long as the BON says they can. Most people don't understand this, and it's never really been an issue, until recently when nurses decided they wanted to practice medicine without going to medical school. Medicine really needs to get on their game and nip this mess in the bud.

It seems to me you are saying a nurse can do whatever they want, as long as its approved by the BON, just don't call it medicine. That the problem starts when they call it medicine.

This is not the case. That would be like saying chiropractors can do whatever they want as long as its approved by the chiropractic board of examiners, just don't call it medicine. But that is not the case. Chiropractors can't do breast implants, treat heart disease etc and call it chiropractic and be okay - it does not matter if the board of chiropractors says its ok. Its practicing medicine - whether you call it that or not. Medicine has defined what it is, and need to protect their practice parameters.

So can doctors. See: Dr. Rey practicing plastic surgery despite not being board certified.

The nurses can do whatever they want but if they are DNPs and they are practicing independently, who do you think the liability falls on? As a dermatologist, I'm not planning on employing them and falling on the sword for them.

Ultimately, I think liability will stymie a lot of these DNPs.

So can doctors. See: Dr. Rey practicing plastic surgery despite not being board certified.

The nurses can do whatever they want but if they are DNPs and they are practicing independently, who do you think the liability falls on? As a dermatologist, I'm not planning on employing them and falling on the sword for them.

Ultimately, I think liability will stymie a lot of these DNPs.

Why? They'll just carry malpractice. CRNAs carry malpractice, why would you think it wouldn't work the same for DNPs?

Why? They'll just carry malpractice. CRNAs carry malpractice, why would you think it wouldn't work the same for DNPs?

I would have figured their premiums would be higher or malpractice attorneys would go after them harder.

"So you perform routine skin checks for cancer despite having no background in dermatology?"

Why wouldn't the attorneys chase them for more $ if there's an opportunity to do so? I'm assuming that's one of the reasons for physicians to be board-certified in their field.

It seems to me you are saying a nurse can do whatever they want, as long as its approved by the BON, just don't call it medicine. That the problem starts when they call it medicine.

This is not the case. That would be like saying chiropractors can do whatever they want as long as its approved by the chiropractic board of examiners, just don't call it medicine. But that is not the case. Chiropractors can't do breast implants, treat heart disease etc and call it chiropractic and be okay - it does not matter if the board of chiropractors says its ok. Its practicing medicine - whether you call it that or not. Medicine has defined what it is, and need to protect their practice parameters.

When did medicine define what it is? You're right though, we DEFINITELY need to protect our practice parameters. I have questions, like you, so I don't claim to know all of the answers. But NPs, CRNAs, and others all operate under the BON, as will DNPs, DrCRNAS (no clue what the letters really are), and others. Currently, they all diagnose and treat independently. CRNAs can work completely independent of anesthesiologists. If the patient has a problem concerning the anesthetic or its effects, the CRNA comes up with a diagnosis and treats intraoperatively. Sure sounds like the practice of medicine to me.

The psedo-Step 3 was run through the ABCC, a nursing organization. How do the medical boards get involved at all with the practice of nursing? That's an honest question. I can tell you though, from reading the Pearson Report and from discussing the DNP issue over time, that DNPs certainly plan to operate completely independent of a physician, diagnose medical issues, and treat them. You can say what you want, but to me that's the practice of medicine, and as far as I know they are governed by the BON.

I've heard of CRNAs practicing pain medicine in rural areas, completely independent of a physician. Tell me, who is going to stop them? Medicine hasn't stepped up to the plate yet. Last I checked, the statement from the ACP was 'physicians and NPs need to work together to solve the crisis within primary care'. Your guess is as good as mine as to what that means.

Regardless, I don't believe medicine has defined what it is. I don't see medicine taking nurses who practice outside of their scope to court. Because last I checked, a nurses scope was defined by the BON, not medicine. Maybe someone who knows much more than me can shed some light, but from what I've read I honestly believe that's how it's worked so far.

Last edited:
I would have figured their premiums would be higher or malpractice attorneys would go after them harder.

"So you perform routine skin checks for cancer despite having no background in dermatology?"

Why wouldn't the attorneys chase them for more $ if there's an opportunity to do so? I'm assuming that's one of the reasons for physicians to be board-certified in their field.

I don't think it would work that way. Nurse midwives malpractice is much less than OB/GYN. A chiropractors malpractice insurance is much less than someone doing PMR - a chiro's malpractice might run $800 PER YEAR to $1500 per year with NCMIC (the largest insurer) - even though the conditions treated are roughly the same.

There are several factors involved and maybe law2doc can enlighten us a bit, but one of them is reimbursement. A chiro might make $500 - 1500 for the same case a pain management doc might make $4000+ treating with epidurals and medicine - but the chiro overhead is so much less. A pain management doc doing epidurals under videoflouroscopy has the cost of the x-ray unit, all the medications, etc - a chiro has some table for the patient to lay on.

Likewise if reimbursement is less for a nurse, but she has greater access to patients - her lower reimbursement might be offset by lower cost of doing business (including malpractice). She can make it up in volume in part.

Their malpractice is less. If a CRNA screws up in an OR, and the patient sues, who will the attorney go after? The CRNA, the Anesthesiologist, the Surgeon, or the hospital? Answer: maybe all of them, but certainly whoever has the most money (not the CRNA).

I don't think nurses are trying to put themselves out there in areas where they'll likely get sued frequently. They'll likely go for areas (like primary care and certainly eventually derm among other fields) where the diagnosis is relatively straightforward and the treatment isn't complicated. If things don't work, they'll fast forward to a physician.

Last edited:
When did medicine define what it is?

When it established state laws. Each board establishes the definition state to state, in conjunction through the authority of the governor and state legislation. Alot of it is through the governors influence who establishes who is on the board.

Several years ago the NMD's in Arizona had strong friendship with the governor here and as a result, without any residency, naturopaths can prescribe any drug, set fractures, do minor surgery, do acupuncture, adjust the spine like a chiropractor etc. The new Arizona governor's husband is a chiropractor and I imagine laws regarding insurance equality will be the battleground, as opposed to scope of practice.

So the definition of medicine is set state to state, and part of the issue is to establish that definition as the SOLE domain of the medical profession. Establishing as the sole domain requires demonstrating medical doctors by virtue of their education and even more so the depth of their training have EXCLUSIVE rights to that definition

Their malpractice is less. If a CRNA screws up in an OR, and the patient sues, who will the attorney go after? The CRNA, the Anesthesiologist, the Surgeon, or the hospital? Answer: maybe all of them, but certainly whoever has the most money (not the CRNA).

I don't think nurses are trying to put themselves out there in areas where they'll likely get sued frequently. They'll likely go for areas (like primary care and certainly eventually derm among other fields) where the diagnosis is relatively straightforward and the treatment isn't complicated. If things don't work, they'll fast forward to a physician.

I think Taurus' argument was that they don't want to go into primary care. They want to go into specialties.

So I'm saying, even for something like derm, if they don't want to deal with the liability of skin checks, if they can't write for accutane, if they have to biopsy every single lesion because they don't have the background for diagnosis, i just don't think it will be that easy for a DNP to usurp the role of physician

let alone complicated fields like cardiology (DNP reading EP studies?), nephrology, ID, etc...

You thought wrong.

Once they are "doctors", they will establish "residencies". These "residencies" will consist of 1y doing supervised practice under a Dermatologist or another NP with "specialty" training.

If the NP movement has proven one thing, it's that they are totally willing to co-opt physician nomenclature for their grossly watered down training. Already they have "Family Nurse Practitioners" and "Acute Care Nurse Practitioners". These programs offer little in the way of specialized training, but create titles that permit them to dupe the public into believing they have expertise that they do not.

How do you plan to compete with "Jane Smith, Dermatology" who did an online NP and worked 8-5 in a Dermatologist's clinic for a year afterwards? How will you convince the public that this "Dermatologist" is different than a physician, when both are "Doctors", both have done a "residency", and both are certified as "experts" by their respective national organization?

hmm, good point

although eventually, i do expect the results to speak for themselves

there's been talk of FP, IM (real physicians) encroaching on primary care derm forever

more recently cosmetic skin procedures have been snapped up by everyone from ENT to plastics to EM to OBGYN to medspas (also real physicians, with the exception of the spas)

and yet, derm offices are still crammed to the gills. i just think there's no substitute for a 3 year residency (or more for fellowship) in any specialized medical field

with perhaps the exception of primary care

hmm, good point

although eventually, i do expect the results to speak for themselves

there's been talk of FP, IM (real physicians) encroaching on primary care derm forever

more recently cosmetic skin procedures have been snapped up by everyone from ENT to plastics to EM to OBGYN to medspas (also real physicians, with the exception of the spas)

and yet, derm offices are still crammed to the gills. i just think there's no substitute for a 3 year residency (or more for fellowship) in any specialized medical field

with perhaps the exception of primary care

It may so happen that FP ends up being stuck in outpatient primary care, with the rest being done by NPs. IM and peds who trained at community programs may be competing with NPs. I think academic categorical IM/peds will shift mostly into intensivist/hospitalist work or go on to fellowship, not only for financial reasons but also so they don't have to deal with NP competition. I think peds will take a harder hit than IM just because the fellowships are not as much of a "refuge" because they pay less and pretty much force you to be academics.

I respond by saying I don't think that's the heart of the matter.

(The point by silas2642 about nurses disliking drs is totally irrelevant as far as I can see - although incidentally I do think it's blown out of proportion.)

If I weren't afraid for patient safety, I'd agree with McGillGrad: let them practice independently if they want to take on the associated responsibility and malpractice suits.

That would eventually equilibrate out to patients staying away from independently practicing DNPs... but it would take several high-profile lawsuits and a lot of collateral damage.

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood your reply. Anyway, I think the bolded point is an important one. I see a few suggesting that we should just let NP's fall on their own sword, but I don't think that's such a good idea. We'll be in way too deep by the time it happens, and beside the potential unnecessary harm to patients, it will damage the standing of the medical profession as well.

It's too bad the nursing profession has chosen to go on the attack against physicians. When it comes down to it, medicine and nursing have enough common goals that they should be able to band together to counter other forces in health care that could potentially hurt both groups in the very near future. The recent moves nursing organizations have made are very short-sighted, in my opinion.

So I just took a look at allnurses.com NP board.

I have a new prediction:

The majority of those posting on that board are students pissed off that this new doctoral degree of nursing is being instituted by their governing body. Apparently, they are posting that the AACN is planning to mandate that the DNP degree be the new entry level degree in the future. And man, are the students pissed. One said about the new program "we are doing as much school as doctors". It seems that there are many nurses as well who are unhappy about this new program...they never wanted to go through 4 years of schooling to practice like we have to, take out the same number of years of loans, put in as much work up-front to get the same recognition later.

I see that faced with this decision - enter medical school and attend for 4 years, or enter nursing school and attend for 4 years. Who the hell would not just go to medical school? Perhaps in the future if you plan on going to practice primary care you will enter nursing school and if you plan to do surgery/other you will go to medical school. Just my thoughts.

From a recent edition of the BMJ...

Cost effectiveness of nurse delivered endoscopy: findings from randomised multi-institution nurse endoscopy trial (MINuET)
Gerry Richardson, Karen Bloor, John Williams, Ian Russell, Dharmaraj Durai, Wai Yee Cheung, Amanda Farrin, Simon Coulton
BMJ 2009;338:b270, doi: 10.1136/bmj.b270 (Published 10 February 2009)
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/338/feb10_1/b270

Effectiveness of nurse delivered endoscopy: findings from randomised multi-institution nurse endoscopy trial (MINuET)
John Williams, Ian Russell, Dharmaraj Durai, Wai Yee Cheung, Amanda Farrin, Karen Bloor, Simon Coulton, Gerry Richardson
BMJ 2009;338:b231, doi: 10.1136/bmj.b231 (Published 10 February 2009)
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/338/feb10_1/b231

I see that faced with this decision - enter medical school and attend for 4 years, or enter nursing school and attend for 4 years. Who the hell would not just go to medical school?.

maybe someone who doesnt have dedication to get accepted to medical school maybe someone who cant hack it through med school. They are much diff curricula ya know. One you can go part time one you cant.

Cost effectiveness of nurse delivered endoscopy: findings from randomised multi-institution nurse endoscopy trial (MINuET)
Gerry Richardson, Karen Bloor, John Williams, Ian Russell, Dharmaraj Durai, Wai Yee Cheung, Amanda Farrin, Simon Coulton

Effectiveness of nurse delivered endoscopy: findings from randomised multi-institution nurse endoscopy trial (MINuET)
John Williams, Ian Russell, Dharmaraj Durai, Wai Yee Cheung, Amanda Farrin, Karen Bloor, Simon Coulton, Gerry Richardson

Wow. That's horrifying. I'm assuming it's not independent as I'm fairly certain residents can't perform scopes unattended but if nurses are doing that, then I take back everything I said. They are going to eat everything if left unchecked.

Fortunately, as another poster mentioned, the added length of schooling would deter some nurses from pursuing the DNP degree. And I hate to be mean but it's not like we're competing against the sharpest crayons in the box anyway. There was a 50% pass rate for their watered-down Step 3. And I'm assuming these were the cream of the crop nursing students.

WOW :wow::wow:

Letting them fly solo [...] would result in bad patient outcomes and litigation. Eventually, only the NPs who *really* know what they are doing would survive[..]

In the end, the "market" self corrects and patients will flee from injurious quacks to the people who know what they're doing.

Exactly :D

And yes, 2015 the new "entry level" for NP's is supposed to be the DNP. So unless you are already licensed as an NP before that, you'd need to complete a DNP with extra clinical hours yadda yadda. Right now some DNPs baaarely have any extra clinical time, which is why so many programs are popping up. The crummy ones know they've got 6 more years to rake in the cash before closing/reforming their DNP programs.

No bones about it, most nurses are for as much clinical time as possible. I see many NPs with multiple specializations, most NPs I've met in-person volunteer for free treating the underserved. Many of these people really are trying to do good things.

I find this study insulting to GI doctors, so you tell me that a nurse with no training in GI will perform better than a doctor with 4 years of med school, 3 years of residency and 3 years of fellowship not to mention how many endoscopies they have done in the past!!!??? Are you fu%$# kidding me!!!

I love the part in one study where it says that nurses took more time to look at stomach and esophagus!! well yeah, they didnt know what the hell they were looking for so they had to spend more time.

This is getting out of hand.

.... I'm assuming it's not independent as I'm fairly certain residents can't perform scopes unattended but if nurses are doing that, then I take back everything I said....

[From the on-line .pdf article]
Performs independent endoscopies:
Docs: OGD 67/67 (100%); Flexible sigmoidoscopy 64/67 (96%); Colonoscopy 59/67 (88%)
Nurses: OGD 16/30 (53%); Flexible sigmoidoscopy 27/30 (90%); Colonoscopy 2/30 (7%)

"Patients were significantly more satisfied with nurses one day after the procedure. Nurses were more thorough in the examination of stomach and oesophagus, carried out more biopsies than doctors, and omitted fewer items
from reports."

sad state of affairs

Did anyone read the conclusions? It still states:

"Conclusions Though upper gastrointestinal endoscopies and flexible sigmoidoscopies carried out by doctors cost slightly more than those by nurses and improved health outcomes only slightly, our analysis favours endoscopies by doctors. For plausible values of decision makers' willingness to pay for an extra QALY, endoscopy delivered by nurses is unlikely to be cost effective compared with endoscopy delivered by doctors. "

These seems to be registered nurses of the UK? They let nurses do this? :eek:

Setting 23 hospitals in the United Kingdom.

Setting 23 hospitals in the United Kingdom. In six hospitals, nurses undertook both upper and lower gastrointestinal endoscopy, yielding a total of 29 centres

Has anyone here looked into what textbooks D/NP are learning from? I guess different programs have different one but maybe a common ground?

Last edited:
It is a system based to serving the public, not maintaining physician prestige. In other words, within the NHS, the nurses do what they must in order to care for their patients without ulterior motives (or at least so far).

These seems to be registered nurses of the UK? They let nurses do this? :eek:

Again this is not true. As a parallel, Cosmetologists (in the United States) have a board and they must be state licensed.They are not under the control of the medical board. But if the cosmetology board says they can do surgery its not going to fly - because of the legal definitions of medicine and the legal definitions of cosmetology.

A state board cannot just make up any rules it wants - these are legal definitions created by state legislators and ratified by the Governor. The key is for medical boards to create a definition of what is EXCLUSIVELY medicine - than anyone who is other than medicine is arrested for practicing medicine without a license, then have these proposed by state legislators and ratified. A licensing board cannot just allow its members to do whatever they want it to do

Legal definitions - in this case defining what medicine IS, is the key.

Last edited:
Regarding the nurse versus doctor endoscopy study - what I want to find out for my own selfish interests is 2 things : 1) how they rated statisfaction 2) what it was that caused the patients to be more satisfied with the nurse performed endoscopy one day post procedure.

I want high patient satisfaction and I am interested in what was different to cause greater satisfaction, and how they measured satisfaction

Has anyone here looked into what textbooks D/NP are learning from? I guess different programs have different one but maybe a common ground?

"The DNP curriculum is Web-mediated including opportunities for synchronous and asynchronous learning. Students are only required to be on campus 4 times a year"

http://www.utmem.edu/nursing/academic%20programs/DNP/index.php

Not exactly an answer to your question but I'd say at least some of the content will be solely online if not more.

"The DNP curriculum is Web-mediated including opportunities for synchronous and asynchronous learning. Students are only required to be on campus 4 times a year"

http://www.utmem.edu/nursing/academic programs/DNP/index.php

Not exactly an answer to your question but I'd say at least some of the content will be solely online if not more.

I've been poking around some school's website but could not find their textbook list... but the online could be helpful for some distance learning and then you study your textbook... sometimes going to class is a waste of time... except when the prof is really awesome.

From what I understand too that they have clinicals weave into the year.

KluverB said:
"Patients were significantly more satisfied with nurses one day after the procedure. Nurses were more thorough in the examination of stomach and oesophagus, carried out more biopsies than doctors, and omitted fewer items from reports."

I'm not surprised by this. Anybody who is trained repetitively to do a specific individual procedure can eventually do that procedure well. And nurses do tend to be more thorough and detail-oriented in their work than doctors, from what I've seen. I don't know if this is a male-female thing (since women overall tend to be more detail-oriented than men IME) or if it has more to do with their training.

But there's also the aspect that if you don't understand what you're looking at, then you're more likely to play it safe and send that biopsy sample even though someone more experienced might be convinced it was benign.

The value of the MD is not in specific training to do endoscopies (or anything else), but the fact that it gives the doc a broader context in which to understand the work he is doing.

For most routine endoscopies, it won't matter much. But for the few cases where there is an accidental perf or other complication, the doctor will have a better understanding of the potential sequelae and what to do about them. Also the dr is better positioned to understand the broader health context of the results of the endoscopy.

Again, I'd be more concerned that the nurse have the appropriate judgement and backup to handle an emergency than about the fact that s/he is doing the procedure in the first place.

Again, I'd be more concerned that the nurse have the appropriate judgement and backup to handle an emergency than about the fact that s/he is doing the procedure in the first place.

This is very important. When doing OB there were some train wrecks that came in from nurse midwives who got in over their heads and waited too long before getting the patient to the OB/GYN

Again this is not true. As a parallel, Cosmetologists (in the United States) have a board and they must be state licensed.They are not under the control of the medical board. But if the cosmetology board says they can do surgery its not going to fly - because of the legal definitions of medicine and the legal definitions of cosmetology.

A state board cannot just make up any rules it wants - these are legal definitions created by state legislators and ratified by the Governor. The key is for medical boards to create a definition of what is EXCLUSIVELY medicine - than anyone who is other than medicine is arrested for practicing medicine without a license, then have these proposed by state legislators and ratified. A licensing board cannot just allow its members to do whatever they want it to do

Legal definitions - in this case defining what medicine IS, is the key.

Can you tell me who controls the scope of practice for nurses; medicine or nursing?

You know..

If I had a patient (call him "Angry Old Man") and I was doing a colonoscopy on him and I twisted around a lot trying to see all the dark angle to see what polyps he could have at odd angles or bad camera shades and are hidden and of course are potentially cancerous.... I would make the patient hurt and even though I saved his life when finding a near impossible to see polyp, he would think I suck!

If I had a patient (call him "Who cares Guy") and I went in and out, didn't care to look at all angles or twist around for fear of perforating the guy... He would not be in pain and he would think I kick ass cause I did a good job and saved his life from potential polyps.

These two studies are BS.. heck the more the patient is dissatisfied with the colonoscopy, the more I know I did a good job twisting around and seeing ALL angles to evaluate sessile polyps and hidden tumors at odd angles. But the nurses wont understand that.

PATIENT SATISIFACTION IS NOT EQUAL TO A GOOD JOB ALL THE TIME!

Can you tell me who controls the scope of practice for nurses; medicine or nursing?

Nurses control the scope of practice for nursing - as defined by the law. Medical doctors control the scope of practice of medicine as defined by the law. Again the legal definition (as set in place state to state by legislators and the governor) is the key...make that THE key. So creating a definition of medicine that prohibits nurses from performing the exclusive features is what needs to be done. Its still possible at this time to make the treatment of visceral disease the sole domain of medical doctors.

Diagnosis can be done by chiropractors, etc. Treatment of patients with musculoskeletal disease or dental disease is not the sole domain of MD's. If the treatment of visceral disease is written as the EXCLUSIVE domain of medicine, then nurses could only TREAT visceral disease under the auspices of a medical doctor.

I am realizing that people here do not grasp the way a law is written. There is an old SCHOOL HOUSE ROCK that describes it on a Federal level called how a bill becomes a law (I am a bill, I am only a bill, sitting here on capitol hill....) - but this is similar to how it functions on a state level too. Maybe Law2doc could do a better job of explaining this. But if a legal statute is passed defining something exclusively as the domain of medicine, nurses cannot do it independantly. The key is to capture exclusive rights to something - and I think that needs to be the treatment of visceral disease (heart, liver, colon, pancreas etc).

A licensing board is not a sovereign entity operating under their own controls - they operate under the office of the Governor and are subject to states and rules passed into law. *sigh*

You know..

If I had a patient (call him "Angry Old Man") and I was doing a colonoscopy on him and I twisted around a lot trying to see all the dark angle to see what polyps he could have at odd angles hidden that are potentially cancerous.... I would make the patient hurt and even though I saved his life when finding a near impossible to see polyp, he would think I suck!

If I had a patient (call him "Who cares Guy") and I went in and out, didn't care to look at all angles or twist around for fear of perforating the guy... He would not be in pain and he would think I kick ass cause I did a good job and saved his life from potential polyps.

These two studies are BS.. heck the more the patient is dissatisfied with the colonoscopy, the more I know I did a good job twisting around and seeing ALL angles to evaluate sessile polyps and hidden tumors at odd angles. But the nurses wont understand that.

PATIENT SATISIFACTION IS NOT EQUAL TO A GOOD JOB ALL THE TIME!

No, you are right, patient satisfaction is not equal to a good job, but patient satisfaction is a huge part of CUSTOMER satisfaction. Customers pay our bills.

I will look for it but a similar study was done (maybe in the peer reviewed JMPT) regarding the treatment of musculoskeletal injuries by MD's and DC's (chiropractors). Patients reported greater satisfaction with the DC's. One of the reasons was determined to be simply being touched. Patients liked to be touched - where as many times an MD came in and performed an H&P and wrote a prescription with minimal or no contact. Even simply putting a hand on the patients shoulder improved the patients feelings of satisfaction.

So my questions is what are the nurses doing that increases satisfaction - we can still do a thorough painful job - but I also want a satisfied customer base because I want to get paid.

I had one of the largest rural chiropractic practices in my state in the 1990's (as measured by gross collections - money collected - actual money in the door - using the statistics compiled by Morgan and Quitno publishing on State Health Care statistics). I am an ***-hole, but I did all sorts of things as a routine : I called patients the same day as their first appointment to ask how they were doing (this took 5 painful minutes for me - but patients loved it), I sent birthday cards, if they referred someone in to me I sent them a thank you letter, I looked through the local paper and looked for reasons to send letters of congratulations to people who were celebrating a big anniversary or made the school honor roll (many of whom I had never met before), I went to a few birthday parties I was not too keen on etc..

My practice was in a town with roughly 3,000 people and the county had roughly 6,000 people - I had over 3000 inidividual patient files in my 7 years of being there when I sold it (it was counted and documented by the broker who sold my business and this fact was affirmed by the person buying my practice). Consider that roughly 11% of the population sees a chiropractor, in that town only 300-400 people should even see a chiropractor - and there was one other chiropractor in town and 2 DO's that did spinal manipulation. One of the DO's ONLY did spinal manipulation exclusively. One of these DO's was my patient. Of course quite a few of my patients came from surrounding counties, and I had patients who regularly drove over an hour one way to see my from other states. I had articles about me and what I did published in several professional journals as an example of a "successful" business and these articles can be still found online in e-form. I had a friend who was in another nearby (and bigger) town - who was in business with a DC who had been in business several decades ; my business was bigger than theirs (in terms of money collected). According to what he told me they collected, I as one person actually collected more than the BOTH of them collected - as one sole proprietor in a town half the size of theirs - as the new guy, whereas one of them had been there decades.

I am not saying this to brag - but as a point - I did the same thing as other chiropractors, but I had more patient satisfaction as indicated by their willingness to return, drive by many other DC's to get to my office and most importantly PAY ME. I say this to motivate you and others to value patient/customer satisfaction - customer satisfaction translates into more green.

I never had collections under 90% - and if you are doing even just $200,000 a year in total business - going from 90% collections to 80% means $20,000 more in your pocket each year. I never took a patient to small claims court and never used a collections agency. I expected people to pay me, billed fair fees, and made sure patients liked me. I want to be a good person, but am not naturally nice. That may be an understatement. I practiced many years as a DC, and was very successful because I was GREAT at appearing to care (through calling patients to see how they are doing etc - how many medical doctors call a patient to see how they are doing - not have a staff person do it, how many doctors themselves call? Patients love that - patients go to who they love - patients pay who they love - love me and show it by paying me). I am hoping medicine will save my soul by helping me be truly caring and have a heart full of love. But if not, I want to know how to make my customers satisfied because it could mean the difference of retiring in 10 years or not because of the hundreds of thousands of dollars difference collected in 10 years time.