Now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lalamamus1

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
now or what

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As someone who has reviewed apps and interviewed people: the more you take ownership of the problems you had and demonstrate how you’ve definitively put them behind you, the better. The more you focus on external circumstances the more it sounds like you’re blaming those circumstances. I think the best move is to say - some tough stuff happened and I didn’t have adequate coping mechanisms. I had academic trouble that led to needing a repeat. BUT from this experience I learned xyz strategies to cope with tough stuff. Here’s how I have demonstrated that I can manage and overcome difficult circumstances (unspoken message: so you don’t have to worry that in residency when tough circumstances arise it will happen again).

That’s advice on how to best frame your experience - accountable learner and overcomer, not victim, even if really you were in some way victimized. With that said, you will match well in peds as a decent-scoring US grad and everything is going to be okay. Best wishes to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Own it (and explain it) from the get-go. If a PD (or Chief Resident) has to do a deep dive into your app to find the answer, or can't find the answer at all without asking you, you've lost the battle. Same goes for interviewers. If more than 1 interviewer asks you why you had to repeat first year (assume that there's at least one person who will interview you who hasn't looked at your CV before you walk in the room), you're sunk.

Sorry what do you mean by this statement? So if it is brought up during the interview there is no hope or if I am not ready to answer why?
They should know the answer to the question by the time you make the interview. It's OK if they ask you to expand on it. But if you haven't explained why before you get there, you're sunk.

Reactions: 1 user
So I repeated 1st year I am a US student in the south. I would say it was due to 1) not knowing how to quickly adapt to the change in quantity and quality of material being presented AND 2) I went through a very emotional relationship and breakup in which the person I was dating was very depressed and suicidal throughout.
Since then I never repeated anything else got through the curriculum well Step 1 was literally average and Step 2 in the 230s. I am wanting to do Peds and I am interested in doing fellowship.
So how do I address this? Head on in the essay and in the section on ERAS on why I repeated?
Also I am doing 2 away rotations through the minority programs (one is a top 10 children's hospital) at these institutions, I am going to have the opportunity to interview at them, how can I bring it up? I sent them my transcripts when I got accepted to the aways but I don't know if they necessarily know you know?
I have a solid CV I think with plenty of leadership positions, some research nothing major (2 published abstracts, and an oral presentation), a lot of community service at a free clinic.
So this has clearly been stressing me out. I want to go to the best institutions possible that will afford me a great training and also open doors for the future.

I personally wouldn't address it in your personal statement. I would simply provide a brief, concise explanation on the section on ERAS asking if you had to extend training. I don't think that making a massive deal out of it helps. I know a number of people who have had to repeat a year, and they all matched. Having some sort of academic stumble - whether it's failing something, classes, steps, etc is not all *THAT* uncommon. For highly competitive specialties yes it's a massive blow, but for many of the lower competitive ones, it's certainly surmountable. I would say Peds falls into that category.
If I were you in the ERAS portion I would briefly explain why you had to repeat, how you succeeded and what you learned about this.

Are you wondering how to address the fact that you repeated first year, or your 'subpar' Step scores?

The first should be addressed in some form. I don't know the best way for you to do so, but addressing it head on is better than allowing people to 'figure it out' and question you about it later. As others have said, this seems like a great candidate for the explanation as to why your training was extended.

For the latter--don't bring it up. My Step 1 score was 219 and I have a friend who matched into UCSF peds with a 210. If you were applying to something super competitive, you could bring it up, but you're applying to peds, which is traditionally more forgiving of step scores. Not to say you'll match at CHOP or Boston Children's, but you can easily get into a solid program with average scores.

As for fellowship--I went to a relatively unknown academic peds program (it wasn't ranked in anything). We had people going to top programs for all sorts of specialties without much difficulty (Cards at Texas Children's and Boston, NICU literally all over, Adol Med, Endo, PICU, Pulm, etc etc). You can get into a good fellowship in peds from a program that isn't one of the top powerhouses, and you may get better training than if you went to a big tertiary care center.

Are you wondering how to address the fact that you repeated first year, or your 'subpar' Step scores?

The first should be addressed in some form. I don't know the best way for you to do so, but addressing it head on is better than allowing people to 'figure it out' and question you about it later. As others have said, this seems like a great candidate for the explanation as to why your training was extended.

For the latter--don't bring it up. My Step 1 score was 219 and I have a friend who matched into UCSF peds with a 210. If you were applying to something super competitive, you could bring it up, but you're applying to peds, which is traditionally more forgiving of step scores. Not to say you'll match at CHOP or Boston Children's, but you can easily get into a solid program with average scores.

As for fellowship--I went to a relatively unknown academic peds program (it wasn't ranked in anything). We had people going to top programs for all sorts of specialties without much difficulty (Cards at Texas Children's and Boston, NICU literally all over, Adol Med, Endo, PICU, Pulm, etc etc). You can get into a good fellowship in peds from a program that isn't one of the top powerhouses, and you may get better training than if you went to a big tertiary care center.
Just wanted to echo this--would address the repeating a year, would not address step scores, which are totally fine for peds.

I think addressing in either PS or that section you outline is fine. Probably wouldn't do it in both locations.

As someone involved in this business for many years, I'd suggest not discussing these issues (failing a year) in the PS if you do it elsewhere. If you do mention it, just indicate that you have become a better student with time as evidenced by your academic and clinical performance. Your Step scores are fine for pedi, except for a few programs and there are exceptions even at those for "average" type scores.

With regard to interviews, always focus on what you bring to the program, which can include becomimg a more mature person and effective study skill development. If specifically asked about the year, do not go into the personal side, just focus on how well you've done since then and your excitement about the next phase of your career.

There are lots of programs that will welcome you into a wonderful career of caring for and advocating for children. Virtually all the programs will allow doors to be open to fellowships if that's what you want, it doesn't have to be a USNews top whatever program. Congrats and don't worry. Apply broadly (you know that) and don't be upset by some rejections, focus on the ones who want to talk to you.

I don’t know that you need to write a dissertation about it. I faced some challenges and here’s how I overcame them, that’s all. You can address the repeat in the designated area and save your PS for discussing your motivation, strengths, goals and what you have to offer. In practical terms the application comes to be reviewed as one document, so if you’ve addressed in a previous section it’s not necessary to repeat the same info in another section.

Sometimes less is more. I agree with the above posters to put it in the ERAS extended training. The last thing I want to do is read your PS with half of it about repeating your first year. The upward trend will speak for itself along with a brief thing in the ERAS.

Seriously, relax.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.