Now that pulm / CC has become so competitive........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoudBark

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that pulm / CC has become so competitive, is it about time that SDN gives the specialty it's due and......creates it's own separate thread just like cardiology / GI / heme-onc and doesn't just lump what is now among the most competitive IM matches with the "other subspecialties"?????

Members don't see this ad.

Now that pulm / CC has become so competitive, is it about time that SDN gives the specialty it's due and......creates it's own separate thread just like cardiology / GI / heme-onc and doesn't just lump what is now among the most competitive IM matches with the "other subspecialties"?????
Don't see any reason why not. I'll run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. Doubt it will be an issue.

Don't see any reason why not. I'll run it up the flagpole and see who salutes. Doubt it will be an issue.
On the other hand, there's already a critical care subforum that our CC guys usually frequent. I don't think P/CC would be sufficiently separate from that.

Members don't see this ad :)
On the other hand, there's already a critical care subforum that our CC guys usually frequent. I don't think P/CC would be sufficiently separate from that.
That has also come up in the discussion about creating a separate PCCM forum. Although to be honest, I didn't even know there was a separate CC forum until about 2 months ago...and I've been here a long time.

That has also come up in the discussion about creating a separate PCCM forum. Although to be honest, I didn't even know there was a separate CC forum until about 2 months ago...and I've been here a long time.
We could request that the cc forum be placed under the IM forum (which may make it more visible).

That would likely annoy the anesthesia/cc, neuro/cc, surgery/cc, em/cc, etc guys though. That said, I don't think too many of them post in the CC forum.

Not once during the application cycle did I check the critical care forum. Even if I knew of its existence, I would've had to visit that for some info, and then here for fellow applicant experiences. Medicine applicants to a combined Pulm/CCM fellowship are distinct from those applying to CC and from surgery or anesthesia critical care. Like LoudBark mentioned, with it becoming more competitive than 90% of the other sub-specialties, applicants and early fellows would definitely benefit from its own sub-forum.

Not once during the application cycle did I check the critical care forum. Even if I knew of its existence, I would've had to visit that for some info, and then here for fellow applicant experiences. Medicine applicants to a combined Pulm/CCM fellowship are distinct from those applying to CC and from surgery or anesthesia critical care. Like LoudBark mentioned, with it becoming more competitive than 90% of the other sub-specialties, applicants and early fellows would definitely benefit from its own sub-forum.
90%? Really?

Even if you count every single subspecialty, there's no more than 16. Pulm/CCM is third most competitive at best, so it's definitely not "more competitive" than 90% of them. That said it's probably the next one to get it's own subspecialty forum... except there already is one.

(I was curious so I counted up the # of subspecialties. Below is about as long of a list you could get even if you're a "splitter" rather than a lumper)
1. Adolescent Med
2. Allergy
3. Cardiology
(Interventional, electrophys, heart failure/transplant)
4. Critical Care
5. Endocrinology
6. GI
(Hepatology)
7.Geriatrics
8. Hematology
9. ID
10. Nephrology
11. Oncology
12. Palliative Care
13. Pulmonology
14. Rheumatology
15. Sleep
16. Sports Med

Maybe a "pulm" forum...and link to the critical care forum.

It seems a lot of the IM Pulm-CC forum is focused on applications and some program reviews. If there was a pulm forum, this could continue there, where interested parties could read about it. And "pulm" related stuff could be discussed there too.

However, a link to the critical care forum would bring all of the CCM under one fourm...bringing us all together from different backgrounds to discuss CCM would benefit all, I believe.

HH

the lungs are there, in the chest, adjacent to the heart

I see what you are saying but no where can I find an organ called pulm :(

1. Adolescent Med
2. Allergy
3. Cardiology
(Interventional, electrophys, heart failure/transplant)
4. Critical Care
5. Endocrinology
6. GI
(Hepatology)
7.Geriatrics
8. Hematology
9. ID
10. Nephrology
11. Oncology
12. Palliative Care
13. Pulmonology
14. Rheumatology
15. Sleep
16. Sports Med

Wait is neurology not part of IM in the states?

We should just change the cardiology forum to the thorax forum....invite some breast surgeons too.....and the creat a sub forum for cardiology and pulmonology debate forum where JDH and I can start thrilling topics of "why yes....it really is CHF" and "please of please give some Lasix...it ain't pneumonia" or "chf wheezes too"

Reactions: 1 user
Haha. So it seems no matter the program the pulmonary vs cardiology debate of CHF vs not CHF lives on. Cardiology: this is ARDS from pneumonia treat the underlying pneumonia . Pulmonary: the guy has an EF of 10% please give lasix.

The funny part is depending on who service you are on, you will start believing their koolaid....

Haha. So it seems no matter the program the pulmonary vs cardiology debate of CHF vs not CHF lives on. Cardiology: this is ARDS from pneumonia treat the underlying pneumonia . Pulmonary: the guy has an EF of 10% please give lasix.

The funny part is depending on who service you are on, you will start believing their koolaid....

To be fair, if they are on a PEEP of 5 and Fio2 of 0.3, it aint ARDS, and you need to give the gorram lasix and quit bothering me.