Novel ideas for a junior-ish attending to increase practice revenue or reputation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AssayQueen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have ideas related to this that have worked for them (and are legal please)?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have ideas related to this that have worked for them (and are legal please)?

A personality. A warm hand shake. A smile.

That has doubled (nearly tripled) my income over the past three years.

Reactions: 1 users
If you live in a state that requires direct billing for pathology, prohibits excessive markups, or where a physician must disclose the actual price paid for a pathology or lab test then high emotional intelligence can help grow your practice.

If you live in a state with no prohibitions on pass-through billing arrangements for pathology then kickbacks are king.

I've seen multiple scenarios where personal relationships, excellent service, and quality reports are discarded in favor of any form of revenue sharing. With revenue sharing, it's a race to the bottom because you are dealing with a commoditized product (like gasoline) and can be undercut at any time.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have about an equal mix of both in my local area. I've got a few good things going for me....I live in a place that does one else wants to. I'm by myself. I hustle. 4-5 medical directorships, additional side hustles and I'd like to think I'm a likable person. That being said, my colleagues (you know, our kids go to the same school, we see each other in the grocery store etc) send to Bostwick for obvious reasons...which is a six-figure gain/loss. I guess I've got enough hustle to currently outweight the commoditization. (is that a word?)

I have about an equal mix of both in my local area. I've got a few good things going for me....I live in a place that does one else wants to. I'm by myself. I hustle. 4-5 medical directorships, additional side hustles and I'd like to think I'm a likable person. That being said, my colleagues (you know, our kids go to the same school, we see each other in the grocery store etc) send to Bostwick for obvious reasons...which is a six-figure gain/loss. I guess I've got enough hustle to currently outweight the commoditization. (is that a word?)

FYI You could probably convince those docs to set up a tech-26 lab in their office for non-medicare. If you could get 17 bucks per prostate core and visit the office once per week, you might find it worth your while.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, but fortunately for me they will soon be employed! ***Cartwheel emoji thingy...

If you live in a state that requires direct billing for pathology, prohibits excessive markups, or where a physician must disclose the actual price paid for a pathology or lab test then high emotional intelligence can help grow your practice.

If you live in a state with no prohibitions on pass-through billing arrangements for pathology then kickbacks are king.

I've seen multiple scenarios where personal relationships, excellent service, and quality reports are discarded in favor of any form of revenue sharing. With revenue sharing, it's a race to the bottom because you are dealing with a commoditized product (like gasoline) and can be undercut at any time.
Do you (or anyone else on this forum) have a source for a review of state regulations and their friendliness to Path practices? I operate in multiple states and would like to understand the difference in regulations between states better.

Do you (or anyone else on this forum) have a source for a review of state regulations and their friendliness to Path practices? I operate in multiple states and would like to understand the difference in regulations between states better.
Pay attention to licensing requirements for different states. For some like NC, SC etc you got to have a license to sign out cases.

Reactions: 1 user