Nova Southeastern Univ (NSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well it is not the end of the world and it is unranked so you could come off at any time. After May 15 that list is gonna move.

Interviewed on Jan 18, also alternate listed...cool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 2/21. Wait listed as well, 3.7 science and 37 MCAT. Accepted to CCOM and Touro-CA but this was my top school, a little disappointed.

Interviewed 2/21. Wait listed as well, 3.7 science and 37 MCAT. Accepted to CCOM and Touro-CA but this was my top school, a little disappointed.

Jesus Christ man. Pretty much perfect example of why to apply as early as possible.

I applied to a few MD's that were big integrative medicine schools, but I mostly stayed DO because I really believe in the philosophy. It's odd that I interviewed so late here. I sent my secondary here before Touro or Midwestern. Hopefully you guys are right about wait list movement.

Good lord - those are some stats right there!

Add me to the waitlist pile. I wonder if anyone got in.

I pretty much thought I was interviewing for waitlist but such is life.

Members don't see this ad :)
I missed a call from nova admissions today asking me to call them back. When I did they said my application was incomplete, I next explained that was impossible since I was complete in October, interviewed in January and was placed on the alternate list in February. I was placed on hold for a little while then told to disregard the entire thing. I found this quite odd, anyone else have something similar happen?

I missed a call from nova admissions today asking me to call them back. When I did they said my application was incomplete, I next explained that was impossible since I was complete in October, interviewed in January and was placed on the alternate list in February. I was placed on hold for a little while then told to disregard the entire thing. I found this quite odd, anyone else have something similar happen?

Oh gosh, I would have been a mess if that had happened to me... The only reason why they would call you on the alternate list would be to accept you, but having it end up being a total misunderstanding? That's one emotional rollercoaster :eek:

Maybe it's a good omen for you? The admissions dept definitely works hard for their money it seems.

Maybe it's a good omen for you? The admissions dept definitely works hard for their money it seems.

I hope so, I could really use some good news! And yea, the admissions people ( especially Anastasia) are soooo nice

Hey guys, I was placed on the alternate list. Is this the same thing as the wait list? And do they really select people randomly like a lottery drawing? This was my interpretation to the email that I got sent.

I don't think it's 100% random but that's my opinion. I THINK depending on what type of applicant they lose from the acceptance list, they pick someone similar to them to keep the demographic/diversity they're looking for. Totally a guess on that one though. However, Alternate list is basically wait list.

Do you guys think I have a chance? I am applying to Nova next cycle.
Stats are in my signature.

MCAT is < avg. GPA is > avg. Applying early will be the key to your success. Applying early can not be stressed enough - like totally complete with all materials received by end of August. Write your personal statement now and all those little blurbs under each activity. They take awhile and need to be flawless.

PS I should have applied earlier and was straight up told that by my interviewer.

MCAT is < avg. GPA is > avg. Applying early will be the key to your success. Applying early can not be stressed enough - like totally complete with all materials received by end of August. Write your personal statement now and all those little blurbs under each activity. They take awhile and need to be flawless.

PS I should have applied earlier and was straight up told that by my interviewer.

Agree. MCAT is below average for nova, but that should not be a problem if applying early. If you interview this summer or fall your odds are good. Assuming your app is good otherwise. Consider the people getting wait listed here with 30+ MCATs and 3.5+ GPAs. You want to interview long before it gets to that point. I was lucky to get in just before.

Doing a few mock interviews this week... I really hope the waitlist moves early and quickly this round. I really don't want to have to commit to another masters program...

For all the hopefuls out there,

Applying is its own kind of hell. I was waitlisted in multiple application cycles: neither average grades/mcat, a spinal injury, nor my smp disappearing stopped me. If you are a determined bastard you will find a way in.

In the mean time, WorldChanger's post reminded me of this AMCAS personal statement people gave me to cheer me up and remind me of all the crap we all have already gone through to get to this point. Good luck.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd/2006/05/26/my-personal-statement/

For all the hopefuls out there,

Applying is its own kind of hell. I was waitlisted in multiple application cycles: neither average grades/mcat, a spinal injury, nor my smp disappearing stopped me. If you are a determined bastard you will find a way in.

In the mean time, WorldChanger's post reminded me of this AMCAS personal statement people gave me to cheer me up and remind me of all the crap we all have already gone through to get to this point. Good luck.

http://www.studentdoctor.net/pandabearmd/2006/05/26/my-personal-statement/

Yep that is a good one...

For those interviewing on the 21st where are you staying? For me I am staying the the Mariott Courtyard

anyone know anything about the alternate list? i know it has grown a lot in the past month ....but any other insight about movement? thanks!

anyone know anything about the alternate list? i know it has grown a lot in the past month ....but any other insight about movement? thanks!

Grab some snacks and buckle up. In a nutshell, most movement occurs in the months ofJune and July. Due to the randomness of the alternate selection process, there's not much you can do but sit back and wait (I bet by now the word "wait" is associated with deep feelings of anger, angst, and being pissed off- I don't blame you). Keeping the admissions committee updated on your meaningful activities, writing a letter of intent, and getting new letters are several things to keep in mind from here on out.

Godspeed!

For those interviewing on the 21st where are you staying? For me I am staying the the Mariott Courtyard

Same here. NSU has discount rates with them and they have a shuttle there (although I'm really thinking of getting a car cuz I don't know how reliable that service is...)

Same here. NSU has discount rates with them and they have a shuttle there (although I'm really thinking of getting a car cuz I don't know how reliable that service is...)
I spoke with them on the phone today and it seems that the shuttle to NOVA starts running at 7a.m., but you have to book 24hrs in advance. I am going to have a cab # as back up, but if they can leave by 7:30-7:45 I don't think there would be a problem.

I stayed there during my interview and the shuttle service was solid. They leave every hour or so (7am, 8am, etc...). The school is maybe 5 miles from the hotel. They literally have hundreds of interviewees staying throughout the application season so the shuttle drivers know what they're doing.

ADCOM meeting today..... Butterflies all day! I don't know how I can wait until the 22nd to find out.... Fingers crossed for anything but a rejection!

Omg I interviewed March 5th too. I'm so nervous

what is the link for second deposit again?

Glad I applied early... I had lower stats then many of those wait listed. Seems NSU looks at the interview and overall application more so than many other schools.

what is the link for second deposit again?

Glad I applied early... I had lower stats then many of those wait listed. Seems NSU looks at the interview and overall application more so than many other schools.

Pm sent with link to pay deposit

Sent from my Galaxy S2

So I interviewed on Jan 17th, but my LORs were submitted incorrectly, so I had to wait another two weeks to get placed on the Alternate list. My MCAT score 27Q was from July 2009 and this was the last cycle I could apply. My thoughts are to retake the MCAT in May and re-apply in June but I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have too. Thoughts? Anyone know what odds I have for making it into NOVA for this cycle?

MCAT 27Q (2009)
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.1
Research & ECs
Overseas Volunteer working with trafficking victims

Well guys and gals if you want a last minute interview for March 21st, go for it. I had to cancel mine due to a death in the family. Good luck every one.

Sorry for your loss, hope everything works out ok for you & your family.

So why does all the normal waitlist movement occur during june/july if the second deposit was just due? Would they know that x number of people aren't coming because they didn't pay up?

So I interviewed on Jan 17th, but my LORs were submitted incorrectly, so I had to wait another two weeks to get placed on the Alternate list. My MCAT score 27Q was from July 2009 and this was the last cycle I could apply. My thoughts are to retake the MCAT in May and re-apply in June but I really don't want to spend the money if I don't have too. Thoughts? Anyone know what odds I have for making it into NOVA for this cycle?

MCAT 27Q (2009)
cGPA 3.4
sGPA 3.1
Research & ECs
Overseas Volunteer working with trafficking victims

That's a tough spot to be in. Your MCAT and cGPA are right on their average, and your sGPA is a tad bit under. Considering that there are people with higher stats who have been waitlisted, I would think about retaking the MCAT just in case.There is supposed to be a good amount of movement though, so maybe look through last year's threads and see if people with similar stats got accepted off the waitlist?

Got the alternate list placement email today. At least it isn't a rejection! Hoping this list gets some good movement soon..... Is alternate list for this school same as wait-list?

Got the alternate list placement email today. At least it isn't a rejection! Hoping this list gets some good movement soon..... Is alternate list for this school same as wait-list?

Yes, alternate list = wait list.

Yes, alternate list = wait list.

Thanks for the clarification. :) I've been sifting through pages upon pages of this thread and hadn't been able to find a clear answer. Also, if the alternate list is truly a random lottery, how will sending updates (LORs, activity updates, etc...) improve my chances?

Thanks for the clarification. :) I've been sifting through pages upon pages of this thread and hadn't been able to find a clear answer. Also, if the alternate list is truly a random lottery, how will sending updates (LORs, activity updates, etc...) improve my chances?

That's the one thing I found contradicting on their FAQ sheet. It says it's completely random and there is no ranking, so they don't want us to contact them about our status. But the FAQ sheet not only welcomes but advises us to send updates for the committee so they can see that we are still interested and improve our chances... :confused: