Nova or Neco?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mholland613

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just found out that I have received acceptance to both schools and now I don't know what to do. I loved both schools when I went for my interviews. I already live in Florida, so the cost of tuition would be significantly lower if I go to Nova.

I could use a change though. Boston would definitely be a big one haha. I am just not sure on the total quality of each school. I know Nova has a better board passing rate, so that's a plus.

I just don't know what I really want to do, and I guess I'll have to really think about it over the next couple of days. Any opinions would help greatly!

Members don't see this ad.

Boston sucks, you don't want to live there

personally i'd choose NECO because:
- more established school = better reputation in the views of most eyecare professionals = easier to get a job (regardless of board passing rates of the school cuz no one cares or knows)
- NOT multidisciplinary. i don't see why some people say multidisciplinary is a good thing since your education is still in optometry but you get shoved into a classroom with other dental students so the school can save money. and at nova you are colorcoded, literally.
- from what i hear, Boston is a GREAT city to live in. many people choose NECO for its location. there is NOTHING around nova. except for swamps, unless you want to drive to miami, which still isn't that impressive. the weather in ft. lauderdale is nice-r though (not counting the hurricanes and the humidity)
anyway, to me it's a pretty obvious choice that you should choose neco. g'luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck with your decision. I do have a question though, how and when did you find out you were accepted to NECO.

I had my interview April 11th, and I found out today that I got in. They sent a letter through 2-day FedEx

if you want to stay in state, go to nova. If you want to experience something different (cold weather?) , go to Neco.

Was that the best thing about Boston you could think of? cold weather? hahaha. I just personally found that funny. But to add on that, if you want to experience a huge university city and a city with a winning football team (im sorry but the Patriots beat out the Dolphins anyday), then NECO is for you.

ps. I chose NECO

if you want to stay in state, go to nova. If you want to experience something different (cold weather?) , go to Neco.

hi mholland613, not sure if you've made your decision yet. but i would definitely weigh your options between the two schools and really try and pinpoint the key areas that you feel are important for your optometric education and then make your decision from there. i'm sure you will have success wherever you choose to go as long as you apply yourself.

as for the comments on the "worst board scores in the nation", the most recent part I pass rate for the school was 86%, which is not mega stellar but certainly far from being the worst. the remainder of the part II and III sections have traditionally been on par with most of the other schools. hopefully that may help you with your decision and maybe remove some concern in regards to that area.

good luck!