NOVA KPCOM vs. RVUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

botshop

Reaction score
A little about me:
  • Currently live in CO, but have no family here (but I do have SO, friends and community)
  • Plugged into CO non-profits and other volunteer work, along with connections to potential research opportunities
  • I love to move and see new places (I'm originally from the South but moved to CO for undergrad and stuck around after to work during gap years)
  • I have family in South Florida and on the East Coast
  • Cost feels comparable between the two and is not a factor I'm weighing in my decision
Rocky Vista (RVUCOM)
Pros:
  • located in CO, where I already have community, friends, and my SO lives here (he will not be moving with me if I move out of state..)
  • I felt a good community during my interview and on the accepted students' day. Everyone seemed supportive and the students seem to uplift one another and not just be super competitive
  • Good match rates and some competitive specialties I'm interested in
  • I like the curriculum layout more at this school (systems. big pro)
  • P/F
  • Has cadaver lab
Cons:
  • Feels like there is little clinical exposure/patient interaction in years 1 and 2 and they don't allow their students to shadow in years 1-2
  • Smaller school that is not tied to a larger campus.
  • Extremely limited research opportunities
  • While in CO, the city it's in (Parker) is farther from the mountains and not that exciting
  • For-profit institution (concerned with where funding is going and how this affects student advocacy)
  • I've heard that there is high turnover with administration/student advisors
  • I've heard concerning things about 3rd year placement with rotations from current students

NOVA (Ft. Lauderdale campus):
Pros:
  • Tied to a larger institution and has been established longer (potentially more resources and school comradery)
  • 1 hour away from my family that lives in Florida and our family business (and closer to my immediate family that lives on the East coast)
  • BEAUTIFUL location with lots to do (I've always kinda wanted to live in FL)
  • Research opportunities, including the option to apply for a research year (5-year program)
  • More clinical opportunities during years 1 and 2 (at least it feels that way.. they have a class you can apply for to shadow a physician a few times a month)
  • Also has good match rates within specialties I'm interested in

Cons:
  • NO cadaver lab (this feels like a HUGE con)
  • Graded system (Not P/F)
  • lower exam pass rates in the past
  • Much larger class size (approximately 400 between the two campuses)
  • I've heard concerning things about the administration / the school
  • Moving away from SO who I live with and have been with for over 2 years (another really big con. Unfortunately, he is finishing school in CO and wants to stay to continue working at his current job and I don't think he has much intention to meet me in Fl any time soon if I went..)

Members don't see this ad.

I know Nova has been under fire recently, I would lean RVUCOM in this instance. Be wary of the for profit status but I would not let it influence your decision a ton. Being close to your SO is huge and having that support during school will help a ton!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am a third year at RVU and I think its a solid choice. To clarify, RVU is also about 400 with the two campuses combined.

Reactions: 1 user