NOVA Interview Feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flower85

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have an interview with NOVA in two weeks, and I was wondering if anyone would like to share their interview experience. I've read some feedback from NOVA interviews in this forum, but they were mostly back in '04/'05. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Since NOVA interview is open file, are the questions a lot tougher?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I found my Nova interview to be surprisingly laid back and it was a lot shorter than I thought. Mine only lasted about 15 min. or less. Both interviewers made me feel very comfortable. They didn't really ask me anything that was specific to the information I had in my file, which I was really happy about. :D They basically just wanted to know why I chose optometry and what I see myself doing in the future, and also what I look for in a school. As long as you can show them that you are committed to the profession and tell them truthfully what you like about Nova, you will do great!

Good luck and let me know how it goes! :)

it depends on who your interviewers are. but in general they're nice and would only ask pretty general questions. the only "open file" question that was asked of me is why my grades were low my first year. another one i remember is about how i would be able to adjust living far away from home. anyway u'll be fine. make sure to have good questions to ask too. personally i think the interview starts the moment u step into the admissions doors, so be interactive and enthusiastic the entire time :D

Members don't see this ad :)
wow...15min interview...that's really short, don't you wish they go more in depth and know you better as a person? 15 min doesn't seem to be long enough to cover the basics....

The interview at NOVA was very laid back. It was more of a conversation more than a formal interview. Just be yourself and relax. Remember, if you are being interviewed, then chances are, they already like you.

Questions asked:
1. Why Optometry?
2. Future goals in optometry?
3. Contributions to optometry?
4. Fun activities you like to do?

wow...15min interview...that's really short, don't you wish they go more in depth and know you better as a person? 15 min doesn't seem to be long enough to cover the basics....

Yeah, it seemed really short to me too. I was like "I'm done already?!" :D I think that the entire interview day let them get to know me personally pretty well, though. We had lots of time to talk with Fran and Dr. Reich one-on-one.

Thank you for all the responses. Any of you guys attending Nova in the fall?

12 minutes:

a.) Can you explain some of the lower grades?
b.) Why did you choose optometry?
c.) Did you apply to other schools?
d.) Any other interviews?
e.) Why is the sky blue?
f.) Do you have any questions for us?

They make you comfortable. I had a great interview I feel, but I walked in relaxed and confident

It seems like Nova interview is fairly short. I've heard other schools interviews are at least 20 minutes. "Why is the sky blue?" Interesting interview question.

"why is the sky blue?"..............

is this an interview for physics graduate program :p

that would have catch me off guard more than the political questions by SUNY. gee, I better figure out way cause I am going down there in a couple of days :)

Hey eyepoker,

When are you interviewing at Nova? Mine's this Friday. Maybe I'll see you there! ;)

Flower85,

mine is this Friday too, yay :D
I will definitely see you there, looking forward to meeting you :)
where are you coming from? I am taking a plane from DC Thurs night, and leaving FL Friday night.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm taking a plane from St. Louis, MO today to Cape Coral (I have a friend there) then driving to Ft. Lauderdale. I'll be touring the city a little bit so I leave on Sunday :D Good Luck to you. BTW, did you interview with any other schools yet?

I wish I have more time to tour around, but I don't want to pay another night of hotel and I can't really take off from work that much, oh well. I interviewed with SUNY and PCO already, and PCO accepted me, still waiting for SUNY ;)

So I went down to FL this past Friday for an interview, NOVA was A LOT nicer than I thought it would be :D first of all, how can ANYONE not like sunny Florida ?? haha, that's just my bias :)

Second, the overall environment of the University is really nice, although they are private school, it seems like they have all the new gadgets and spend their money in the right place. The interview itself was really relaxed, I was interviewed by 2 faculties both of them were in private biz before they became teachers, most of the questions were pretty general: tell me about yourself, why do you choose optometry, why NOVA...etc, the basics.

Third, the financial session, it was really a thorough session led by Fran, the person that is in charge of EVERYTHING basically, she explained all the details and kept emphasize the importance of money management, which is good. Too bad there are NO scholarships available, I was told that since the school is relatively new (only 20 yrs compare to some of the longer established programs, NOVA is actually the newest in US), there are no grant money/scholarship donated by the Alumni, so no internal $$ available, of course if you can find a outside source that would be nice.

Fourth, the COMPREHENSIVE college of optometry tour, Fran basically took us EVERYWHERE, showed us what the first year, second year, third year would do, and of course the 4th yrs are outside doing externships. It really gave me a very clear image of what the 4 yrs might be (don't know exactly until I actually begin, but I think as close as it can be). NOVA has a Chinese program in Tianjing, which is really cool for me because I speak Mandarin and I've always wanted to go there and visit. They also have the famous Bascom Palmer site, which is a great place to see all the weird pathology :) We've also get chances to talk to so many opt students in diff stages of the program, and they offered very sincere answers to our questions. The interesting thing is that all of the health care division students are color coded, so opt are green scrubs, medical students are blue scrubs, and allied health ppl have diff colors too :) The only weird thing is that the teacher take attendance (by swiping your ID, and now they are implementing new devices that scan your fingerprint:eek:) every class, I mean c'mon, this is a graduate program, if ppl want to waste their money and not attend class, that is their choice, we are all adults here, why treat us like little kids and take attendance?

The cost of living there, if you find a roommate, the rent is usually very reasonable, and the location is usually close to the campus, unless you want to get a place far away from school bc you don't want to think about school at night :), and the area is so nice, not that you have the time to go to beach everyday, but still the view is amazing.....

It was nice meeting you Flower85 :) I hope you had a good trip :)

So I went down to FL this past Friday for an interview, NOVA was A LOT nicer than I thought it would be :D first of all, how can ANYONE not like sunny Florida ?? haha, that's just my bias :)

Second, the overall environment of the University is really nice, although they are private school, it seems like they have all the new gadgets and spend their money in the right place. The interview itself was really relaxed, I was interviewed by 2 faculties both of them were in private biz before they became teachers, most of the questions were pretty general: tell me about yourself, why do you choose optometry, why NOVA...etc, the basics.

Third, the financial session, it was really a thorough session led by Fran, the person that is in charge of EVERYTHING basically, she explained all the details and kept emphasize the importance of money management, which is good. Too bad there are NO scholarships available, I was told that since the school is relatively new (only 20 yrs compare to some of the longer established programs, NOVA is actually the newest in US), there are no grant money/scholarship donated by the Alumni, so no internal $$ available, of course if you can find a outside source that would be nice.

Fourth, the COMPREHENSIVE college of optometry tour, Fran basically took us EVERYWHERE, showed us what the first year, second year, third year would do, and of course the 4th yrs are outside doing externships. It really gave me a very clear image of what the 4 yrs might be (don't know exactly until I actually begin, but I think as close as it can be). NOVA has a Chinese program in Tianjing, which is really cool for me because I speak Mandarin and I've always wanted to go there and visit. They also have the famous Bascom Palmer site, which is a great place to see all the weird pathology :) We've also get chances to talk to so many opt students in diff stages of the program, and they offered very sincere answers to our questions. The interesting thing is that all of the health care division students are color coded, so opt are green scrubs, medical students are blue scrubs, and allied health ppl have diff colors too :) The only weird thing is that the teacher take attendance (by swiping your ID, and now they are implementing new devices that scan your fingerprint:eek:) every class, I mean c'mon, this is a graduate program, if ppl want to waste their money and not attend class, that is their choice, we are all adults here, why treat us like little kids and take attendance?

The cost of living there, if you find a roommate, the rent is usually very reasonable, and the location is usually close to the campus, unless you want to get a place far away from school bc you don't want to think about school at night :), and the area is so nice, not that you have the time to go to beach everyday, but still the view is amazing.....

It was nice meeting you Flower85 :) I hope you had a good trip :)

hey eyepoker, i got an interview at NSUCO in a few hours. but im glad you enjoyed it. I got accepted by Pennsylvania College Of Optometry a few days ago. well at least my house is only a few min drive from Nova. take care. fran told me several weeks ago that they will give me a decision in two weeks . you might be in the same boat as i am

I think we are in the EXACT same boat! :eek:

I got my PCO offer about 2 weeks ago, but I really rather go to SUNY (which I am still waiting to hear from) or NOVA, I now have to think about if I want to pay that 500 bucks to PCO and just reserve a seat :cool:.....I really don't want to.....so NOVA or SUNY gimme an answer soon....ahhh, this waiting is killing me (SUNY mostly, since I only visit NOVA last Friday)

Very nice interview feedback from Nova, eyepoker. Which school will you be attending if you are accepted to Nova as well? I will be interviewing with SCO this Friday, and waiting to hear back from Nova. Fran said about 2 weeks right? Anyway, it was nice to meet you. Maybe I'll see you at Nova if we both are accepted and attending there. :p

I'm going to be giving my seat up at NOVA so there will be another opening soon for all of you waiting. Good luck next year!

Just got my acceptance letter through email, yay, now I have one more option :) anyone else hear from NOVA yet? Flower85?

If any of you are worried about remaining seats at NOVA there will be at least one opening up soon and good luck! The interview and the whole day was really nice when I was down there and the school is great for networking in other feilds. One of the questions I actually asked my tour guide was if you could be test patients for other students and if you make friends with other professions you can scratch their backs and they can scratch yours (like getting cool toothbrushes for cheap)

Just one of the perks I liked about the school when I was there ;)

I also found everyone in the area (expecially Fran) to be very friendly and very willing to help you out. They answer your questions/concerns honestly if you ask! Plus they give you really good lemonade and cookies while you're there :)

I also got my acceptance letter in the email. YAY! I'm waiting to hear from SCO, and interviewing with UMSL in a week. I won't make my final decision until I hear back from more schools though.

Did you decide where you're going to yet, eyepoker? Congratulations on your acceptance. :D

I am all through with interviews at this point, NOVA was my last one, I really like the overall school environment, but am worry about the new school/program/curriculum, I have some contacts that I will talk to about NOVA, and I am also STILL waiting for SUNY to finish their interviews, omg, I just called today and they said that they won't finish till 3/31 and it takes another week or so to prioritize everyone, I mean they do have a good program but I pray that everything else in SUNY doesn't work so slowly....

so now it really is between NOVA and SUNY, but maybe PCO isn't so bad, but I just didn't get a very good impression when I was there (no offense any PCO students), maybe it was just me....

well you look like a west coast girl anyway....flower85, I am guessing you prefer SCO if you get in?? just my assumptions :p

oh, if I remember correctly, DrRob, aren't you going to PCO??
if this is true what is your reason of choosing PCO over NOVA? environment? program?etc....

Mostly for the program, I like how it is so clincally based and I really want to specialize in low vision and they have the option to work on your MS in low vision in addition to the residency...I also like that they have a neurorehabilitation based option which is also something I really want to go into. Plus the location is great for me, so when I travel home for the holidays I wont have to worry about flying, ect. I was very impressed with the opportunities PCO has for their students overall and how willing and comitted they are to helping you even after you graduate