Not your usual ERAS 1st vs 3rd week application question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TXKnight

Better Known as TXK
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a DO student applying to IM programs this season, I have OK EC's, a couple of publications and several posters/presentations. I have a subpar COMLEX, think below 500. I don't like excuses but I did have something happening test day that made me practically late for the evening session, long story short I had to guess on close to a whole section before running out of time. In any case I am not planning to explain any of this on my ERAS. It is my responsibility to perform when I need to, and I didn't show that for whatever the circumstance was on test day.
The unusual part is the following, I decided to take Step 1 and started preparing for it along with my Level 2 prep. I've recently scored 228-241+ on the last three NBMEs and UW that I've taken, so I registered for Step 1 for 9/12. I'm taking Level 2 in October. Providing no drastic changes, I think it's reasonable to assume I can score better on step 1 than what I currently have on Level 1 when compared. Now the question that's killing me: Should I apply on 9/15 with a crappy level 1 or wait until the first week of october approximately with a (hopefully) above average step 1? Should I apply regardless and then update? What's the consensus? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the feedback. This somewhat unusual situation had me second guessing about the tried and true early app submission.