Not sure if I should take an RA position!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

propsych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have just recently acquired an opportunity to work as an RA in an Ivy league school lab, doing psych research in the field I think is what I want to do in grad school.

the problem is that they are requiring a 2 year commitment, and I have just graduated from undergrad, meaning I cannot apply to grad school for another year, and cannot attend for two. I am not exactly the best candidate now, due to a low gpa, and am strongly considering this opportunity BUT:

1) PI said there isn't much opportunity for getting on a paper with them unless I do all the stats for a particular project (which I have yet to learn well enough)/ and that a poster may be created 1 (once) a year that every if not most Ras are on.
2) I'd be doing one very specific task (perhaps coding videos) and potentially be able to jump onto other jobs in my free time
3) it is unpaid
4) requires 2 full days a week commitment for 2 years

The only reason I am even taking the year gap, is to improve my research credentials so that I can counteract some of the damage my low gpa may do. I want to be able to have more tangible evidence of my research abilities at the end of this time.

I'm going to stay in my current lab, and supervise a new study on effort remotely so there is potential for posters/publication there BUT again everything is so uncertain now.

Should I just try to focus on getting a paid research job somewhere else that may be seen as less prestigious and may allow me more authorship opportunities?

Members don't see this ad.

If you commit to two years, you would be applying next fall since admissions are made only once per year. If you are not currently competitive, this is a very common length of time for an RA. If you are trying to fill the gap, this is a typical pattern.

A 2-year, 2 full day a week commitment without pay or promise of any involvement in products seems weak in terms of what you are looking for.- especially for posters. Same with limited exposure to coding videos. That is unlikely to develop your research skills substantially. If the goal is to improve your research capacity, I'm not sure this does it from what you have said. You may want to ask about what type of mentorship is available outside of the main project line, if you can use lab data for independent/supported projects, what types of skills RAs develop through working in the lab, how frequently past RAs have been able to engage in those projects, what sorts of trajectories RAs have had (if they all went to 100% funded programs immediately afterwards regardless of products this is very different than 'some went but most did another RA'), etc

I'm always a fan of earning more money rather than less.

1) PI said there isn't much opportunity for getting on a paper with them unless I do all the stats for a particular project (which I have yet to learn well enough)/ and that a poster may be created 1 (once) a year that every if not most Ras are on.
Would the PI allow you to use the lab's data as part of any independent projects you pursue?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you commit to two years, you would be applying next fall since admissions are made only once per year. If you are not currently competitive, this is a very common length of time for an RA. If you are trying to fill the gap, this is a typical pattern.

A 2-year, 2 full day a week commitment without pay or promise of any involvement in products seems weak in terms of what you are looking for.- especially for posters. Same with limited exposure to coding videos. That is unlikely to develop your research skills substantially. If the goal is to improve your research capacity, I'm not sure this does it from what you have said. You may want to ask about what type of mentorship is available outside of the main project line, if you can use lab data for independent/supported projects, what types of skills RAs develop through working in the lab, how frequently past RAs have been able to engage in those projects, what sorts of trajectories RAs have had (if they all went to 100% funded programs immediately afterwards regardless of products this is very different than 'some went but most did another RA'), etc

I'm always a fan of earning more money rather than less.

Me too (lol). I was told that there will opportunities for learning some stats however everything seemed a bit vague. I will see what they all have to say about their experience working there this week when I visit.