USMLE Not sure how to approach annotating First Aid :S

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc-Oc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Iv been hearing mixed ideas about annotating First Aid. i feel like its filled with so much information so why add more?

Members don't see this ad.

It could be a personal thing, but I love annotating. There's def times where I know the information given to me in FA but then UW presents it in a way I never would have though of just from reading it. I go back and write little notes as to how it might present, extra info. not given, connections to other things (like 3/4 step connections), etc.

Annotate what you don't understand. For instance, do you know why Diabetic Ketoacidosis cause an AG metabolic acidosis? Hyperalimentation for non-AG? These are why I annotate. UWorld will help with annotation. Do a question. Read the explanation. Go to the page in FA talking about it. Annotate what you didn't know or didn't see in FA.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Annotate what you don't understand. For instance, do you know why Diabetic Ketoacidosis cause an AG metabolic acidosis? Hyperalimentation for non-AG? These are why I annotate. UWorld will help with annotation. Do a question. Read the explanation. Go to the page in FA talking about it. Annotate what you didn't know or didn't see in FA.
thank you for that. so you would just annotate explanations? not new content not in FA?

thank you for that. so you would just annotate explanations? not new content not in FA?
Add whatever you need to understand. Personally, I've added random things probably beyond the scope of step 1 just so that I can understand it well. For instance, FA doesn't talk about respiratory compensation. (1-2 bicarbonate for every 10 pco2 change in acute respiratory imbalances). So I added that in.

Reactions: 1 user