" *Not participating in SOAP " (some programs have this message on the list)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Knicks

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
On the list of unfilled programs, there are some programs with that asterisk by their side.

So does that mean we have to contact those programs directly to inquire about their unfilled position(s)?

I wish they explained this prior to SOAP week

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
On the list of unfilled programs, there are some programs with that asterisk by their side.

So does that mean we have to contact those programs directly to inquire about their unfilled position(s)?

I'm not sure what the list looks like this year, but on the 2011 list it had this at the bottom... " *Uses ERAS for Scramble " ... So the asterisk meant that you applied via ERAS in 2011.

Look at the very last page and see if it happens to say what the asterisk means.

^^^ The thread isn't "I'M not participating in SOAP". It's about the PROGRAMS not participating in SOAP. That was clear from the OP. I'll edit the title, though.

The asterisk means "Not participating in SOAP". That's what it says next to the asterisk. Some programs have that asterisk with that message by their side.

So since it (the program) is "not participating in SOAP", yet it's on the list of unfilled programs, does that mean we have to contact those programs directly by phone or something? I want to make sure because I don't want to call if they're gonna get pissed off at the call.

You would contact the program, but I believe that can't happen until after SOAP ends on Friday at 5pm. I'd double check the SOAP rules to be certain.

Last edited:
^^^ The thread isn't "I'M not participating in SOAP". It's about the PROGRAMS not participating in SOAP. That was clear from the OP. I'll edit the title, though.

The asterisk means "Not participating in SOAP". That's what it says next to the asterisk. Some programs have that asterisk with that message by their side.

So since it (the program) is "not participating in SOAP", yet it's on the list of unfilled programs, does that mean we have to contact those programs directly by phone or something? I want to make sure because I don't want to call if they're gonna get pissed off at the call.

Dude, the FAQ Dr. Mom linked is a FAQ for Institutional Officials and Program Directors (not applicants). Programs with these statuses are outright telling applicants they prefer to go unfilled than scramble. That's it. They are not participating in SOAP.