Not matching with >11 interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echod

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In charting outcomes, there always a person or two who don't match after having ranked >11 or 12 interviews? Do you know why? Is this person ranking programs that he/she didn't interview at?

Members don't see this ad.

Almost always one of two things:

1) the couples match. If both want something competitive this can be brutal. I know that affected at least two in the last few years.

2) they don't interview well/they are just not fun to be around. We all went through med school and know the type: super smart people but you would hesitate to save them from a burning building because they are just not pleasant people. Personality does matter a lot and this tends to be a field of good people which is a real plus.

Almost always one of two things:

1) the couples match. If both want something competitive this can be brutal. I know that affected at least two in the last few years.

2) they don't interview well/they are just not fun to be around. We all went through med school and know the type: super smart people but you would hesitate to save them from a burning building because they are just not pleasant people. Personality does matter a lot and this tends to be a field of good people which is a real plus.

3) rad onc is sometimes just that hard to match into. You rank 13 programs each interviewing 45 people for one or two spots and it will happen from time to time

Members don't see this ad :)
I would NOT get discouraged about this. I know plenty of medical students who interviewed at very few places (<5) and matched. And medical students with average (or below average) Step 1 scores who matched or found a position outside the match. Good programs are constantly expanding and accepting people outside the match. If you love taking care of cancer patients and are passionate about contributing to the future of radiation oncology through research, patient care, or leadership- don't get discouraged by statistics.

Is charting the outcomes of the match now available for this past application year?

Is charting the outcomes of the match now available for this past application year?

There was some problem with USMLE/ERAS not releasing the step scores to NRMP, so they said there won't be a charting for last year. Which is unfortunate given how fast things change. Relying on data from 2011 is not very reliable anymore!

There was some problem with USMLE/ERAS not releasing the step scores to NRMP, so they said there won't be a charting for last year. Which is unfortunate given how fast things change. Relying on data from 2011 is not very reliable anymore!

Wow, what a bummer

There is no one in the 2011 data who didn't match in Radiation Oncology with 11 interviews. There seems to be one outlier with 10 interviews who didn't match, but in general those below 8 interviews were more likely to not match, and people with more than 8 interviews, with the exception of one person, matched.