Not listing shadowing under Activities section

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheRedSnail

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have 15 experiences that fit perfectly in my activities section but I don't have Physician Shadowing listed. I have over 100 hours of shadowing in multiple specialties but I was going to mention this more in my personal statement. Even outside of shadowing, I have enormous exposure to medicine.

My question is: If I leave Physician Shadowing off of the activities section, will this hurt my chances at all?

Thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you able to condense some of your experiences into a single slot so you will have less than all 15 slots filled? That way you will have room to put in your shadowing. It is really not necessary to fill all 15 slots.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do 100 hours of shadowing and not list it?? This seems like something that could easily be fixed by combining some of your other sections.

Reactions: 1 users
You really should include the shadowing as one of the fifteen activities, there must be something that can go so that shadowing can have it's place. The sub-divisions and hours associated with them are commonly used to screen applicants initially, so to not list any shadowing would be a possible disadvantage at that stage. To talk about something in your PS without putting it in your activities means that it was either too long ago or that it wasn't important enough for your activities list.

I have 15 experiences that fit perfectly in my activities section but I don't have Physician Shadowing listed. I have over 100 hours of shadowing in multiple specialties but I was going to mention this more in my personal statement. Even outside of shadowing, I have enormous exposure to medicine.

My question is: If I leave Physician Shadowing off of the activities section, will this hurt my chances at all?
Yes, omitting it is likely to hurt you. List it. Don't assume that the staffer who screens your Activity section is the same one who will read your PS. I've seen folks erroneously rejected due to a "lack of shadowing," due to its not being listed where expected.

I didn't include any shadowing in my AMCAS activities and mentioned it elsewhere. Honestly, I'd be surprised if that made a difference - my application as a whole showed a strong understanding of what I'm getting into, and my other activities were more interesting. *shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice!

You should definitely include shadowing under you activities/experiences. When that section and the PS are discordant, reading your app turns into a game of hide and seek that I don't have time for.

What are your 15 existing entries? Odds are good that some could be trimmed.

You should definitely include shadowing under you activities/experiences. When that section and the PS are discordant, reading your app turns into a game of hide and seek that I don't have time for.

What are your 15 existing entries? Odds are good that some could be trimmed.

I'll PM you and see what you think, if that's ok?

Most if not all adcoms on this site will tell you that a lack of shadowing is a concern. Condense two other activities and put all the shadowing in one slot. You want it on there.

That was my train of thought as well but it seems like we are in the minority.

Thanks everyone for the insight, that's exactly what I was looking for!

Sure, no prob. A very short descriptor and approximate hours would be ideal. Don't spend much time on it.
For every physician/adcom that says this, there's another that wants the essay version including what you learned. (UW put out a powerpoint on it).

Its a tall order, pleasing faceless strangers who have opposite expectations. Good practice for later I suppose.

For every physician/adcom that says this, there's another that wants the essay version including what you learned. (UW put out a powerpoint on it).

I was only referring to the PM format, not what @TheRedSnail actually puts in AMCAS.

EODguy said:
Its a tall order, pleasing faceless strangers who have opposite expectations. Good practice for later I suppose.

True that.

Reactions: 1 user