Not having the "personality" for derm?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chick_fil_eyyy

Reaction score
I recently shadowed an academic pediatric dermatologist and surprisingly loved the experience. It felt like everything really clicked. However, I do have one big concern about applying to derm (beyond needing to kill Step1, publish a lot, etc.).
I've heard repeatedly that residencies care a lot about "fit". The issue is that among all the residents and med students interested in derm that I've met at my school, they predominantly seem to fall into one type: usually female, white or Asian, attractive, very bubbly/extroverted, probably have a giant rock on their ring finger if they've already graduated, own a fluffy little white dog (ok maybe hyperbolizing a bit here) and, for lack of a better descriptor, seem like the kind of people who would run "lifestyle blogs/instas". They've been nice enough whenever I've interacted with them, but I wouldn't say we'd ever hang out as good friends.
My question is, is this just a unique case to my home institution or is most of derm like this? If it's the latter, would I be better off considering other sort-of related specialties where I might be a better fit personality-wise? I've got a healthy social life but definitely fall more on the introverted side, so I worry about how this would effect both my chances of matching and getting along with future coworkers.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
While looks do play a part, I would focus on you application (applying to all dermatology programs possible), your relationships with your letter writters, your grades, and your step scores. But more than anything else if you get in good with the pediatric dermatologist, maybe she can help call and get you a spot at her alma mater. Its who you know in this residency matching game. I think you got this! You just gotta go claim this spot. If you are insecure then please apply and INTERVIEW for a backup specialty such as IM. But don't not apply because you don't think you are pretty enough...you got this

I recently shadowed an academic pediatric dermatologist and surprisingly loved the experience. It felt like everything really clicked. However, I do have one big concern about applying to derm (beyond needing to kill Step1, publish a lot, etc.).
I've heard repeatedly that residencies care a lot about "fit". The issue is that among all the residents and med students interested in derm that I've met at my school, they predominantly seem to fall into one type: usually female, white or Asian, attractive, very bubbly/extroverted, probably have a giant rock on their ring finger if they've already graduated, own a fluffy little white dog (ok maybe hyperbolizing a bit here) and, for lack of a better descriptor, seem like the kind of people who would run "lifestyle blogs/instas". They've been nice enough whenever I've interacted with them, but I wouldn't say we'd ever hang out as good friends.
My question is, is this just a unique case to my home institution or is most of derm like this? If it's the latter, would I be better off considering other sort-of specialties where I might be a better fit personality-wise? I've got a healthy social life but definitely fall more on the introverted side, so I worry about how this would effect both my chances of matching and getting along with future coworkers.

I wouldn't say most of derm but a lot of derm can be like this. Perhaps I think a little more selfishly but I would pick a field because I liked it, not because I had a good personality fit with the people within it (even though I do agree that can contribute to whether or not you like a field). If this is what you want to do, chase it down.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
... I want a fluffy little white dog.

Jokes aside, I would agree that you should pursue a field that you like rather than one where your personality doesn’t fit. My personality doesn’t fit with the typical derm stereotype, but there were still programs and people that I got along with naturally. The awkward part will be when you’re at the pre interview dinners with residents and other applicants and they are trying to be casual and are talking about non-program things like what type of manicures they like or how they get their hair did and you literally have 0 interest in the conversation but have to try to fake it. Not speaking from personal experience of course

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
... I want a fluffy little white dog.

Jokes aside, I would agree that you should pursue a field that you like rather than one where your personality doesn’t fit. My personality doesn’t fit with the typical derm stereotype, but there were still programs and people that I got along with naturally. The awkward part will be when you’re at the pre interview dinners with residents and other applicants and they are trying to be casual and are talking about non-program things like what type of manicures they like or how they get their hair did and you literally have 0 interest in the conversation but have to try to fake it. Not speaking from personal experience of course

Hey, same. Love the floofballs. It's more a constellation of personality traits all coming together, rather than any one thing, that gave me reservations about the field. Esp as a girl, where this seems more pronounced. Did you find it hard to connect with mentors or make a good impression during rotations/interviews because your personality didn't exactly fit into the "Typical derm stereotype"?

The Derm program at my institution essentially like the popular good looking sorority house on campus. Everyone was way outta my league and all with a shiny rock on the left hand that screams don’t waste your time.

I hadn’t felt this inadequate since college. Lol.

They were also insanely smart so double whammy.

Hey, same. Love the floofballs. It's more a constellation of personality traits all coming together, rather than any one thing, that gave me reservations about the field. Esp as a girl, where this seems more pronounced. Did you find it hard to connect with mentors or make a good impression during rotations/interviews because your personality didn't exactly fit into the "Typical derm stereotype"?

Definitely. I think it’s very clear that in a small field like Dermatology, “like attracting like” is very important. And the medical students I saw who could engage with other residents and even attendings on a casual level, like talking about gel manicures or the latest fashion trend, were more well liked. Don’t let it discourage you, though, because it’s still possible to match without fitting and buying into the stereotype!

• Sad
Definitely. I think it’s very clear that in a small field like Dermatology, “like attracting like” is very important. And the medical students I saw who could engage with other residents and even attendings on a casual level, like talking about gel manicures or the latest fashion trend, were more well liked. Don’t let it discourage you, though, because it’s still possible to match without fitting and buying into the stereotype!

aw man. Not to be that tired "I'm not like other girls" stereotype bc I too like a nice self-care day every once in a while, but can't help thinking I may do better in something like IM or rheum since I really want to not just match, but match well in whatever field I go into.

aw man. Not to be that tired "I'm not like other girls" stereotype bc I too like a nice self-care day every once in a while, but can't help thinking I may do better in something like IM or rheum since I really want to not just match, but match well in whatever field I go into.

Very few people get that chance in dermatology unless they are a true superstar. If the bolded portion is true, then yes, you may want to consider other fields.

I had a classmate in MS4 who was better qualified than I was. She changed fields altogether because she didn't like the way she was being treated as a derm applicant. Went from begging for a spot in dermatology to being wined and dined for an IM spot.

Fwiw, I thought all the derm applicants from my school were tools and try-hards. If you’re a strong candidate and like derm, I wouldn’t worry about it. The insta models really are a minority.

Fwiw, I thought all the derm applicants from my school were tools and try-hards. If you’re a strong candidate and like derm, I wouldn’t worry about it. The insta models really are a minority.

It's also worth mentioning that people are often very different before and after matching (whether it's putting on an act for the interview process or just simply relaxing now that they've matched). I found I liked my co-residents much better after matching than before ;)

Reactions: 2 users