Not going to match Obgyn: wtf happened wtf do I do??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fluoropHore

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
4th year student 234 USMLE no failures, decent clerkships, decent LORs, applying 54+Obgyn progs in NE+random Midwest places. 2 offer interviews Rest declines and some interview offers later rescinded after I called 20mins after getting the email (guess I was on the waitlist- how else would they not give you more than 20mins to reply?)... totally screwed.... didn’t think I’d be a failure.... what are my options?

Replaying Obgyn would look bad (they’d see id already been in the prev cycle).... going back to my old job? No pay.... I applied TRIs and prelims (but used same app and LORs, rejigged my Ps) late....

... very depressed. Didn’t think it would be this difficult... please help SOs

Members don't see this ad.

4th year student 234 USMLE no failures, decent clerkships, decent LORs, applying 54+Obgyn progs in NE+random Midwest places. 2 offer interviews Rest declines and some interview offers later rescinded after I called 20mins after getting the email (guess I was on the waitlist- how else would they not give you more than 20mins to reply?)... totally screwed.... didn’t think I’d be a failure.... what are my options?

Replaying Obgyn would look bad (they’d see id already been in the prev cycle).... going back to my old job? No pay.... I applied TRIs and prelims (but used same app and LORs, rejigged my Ps) late....

Also have 10+ pubs, lots of extra curriculars

Also have 10+ pubs, lots of extra curriculars

People blew sunshine up my butt and told me I would be safe if I applied broadly to lots of places (60+ aoa and acgme).... yup I suck

Members don't see this ad :)

I also am just really despondent and don’t want to even finish school at this point. What isn’t the effing point. I was pretty sure I wouldn’t become a cautionary tale.

I also am just really despondent and don’t want to even finish school at this point. What isn’t the effing point. I was pretty sure I wouldn’t become a cautionary tale.

So have you actually heard back from all of the programs you applied to? I don’t really get the whole rescinded offer thing – that seems weird (not on your part, but theirs). I would be asking these programs more questions on why this is happening.

Do you have any red flags you’re not mentioning? If you do, have you made appropriate amends and demonstrated this to programs you are applying to? You definitely sound like a competitive student for ObGyn AOA and historically AOA programs and some traditional ACGME programs. Do you think your letter writers were all enthusiastic and positive? Any clerkship problems or “unprofessional” crap on your MSPE?

In third year I rotated with some residents who were TRI’s applying for surgery at the program where they were doing the TRI. This program ended up taking three of them and I believe they got credit for that year. I know these n=1 stories are tough to swallow at this point but there’s still hope. Does your school have an OPTI, with their own connections to AOA programs (or what’s left of them)? I’m just saying that if they do have connections, you could begin that discussion with your Dean, MSPE advisor etc. about next steps if you don’t match.

Don’t lose faith! I totally understand your despondency, but just keep trying to do the next right thing – baby steps to get through to the finish line. Reach out to people for help and don’t sabotage the work you’ve done. I just say that because I know I get a big case of the “**** its” when these roadblocks happen and that this can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
So have you actually heard back from all of the programs you applied to? I don’t really get the whole rescinded offer thing – that seems weird (not on your part, but theirs). I would be asking these programs more questions on why this is happening.

Do you have any red flags you’re not mentioning? If you do, have you made appropriate amends and demonstrated this to programs you are applying to? You definitely sound like a competitive student for ObGyn AOA and historically AOA programs and some traditional ACGME programs. Do you think your letter writers were all enthusiastic and positive? Any clerkship problems or “unprofessional” crap on your MSPE?

In third year I rotated with some residents who were TRI’s applying for surgery at the program where they were doing the TRI. This program ended up taking three of them and I believe they got credit for that year. I know these n=1 stories are tough to swallow at this point but there’s still hope. Does your school have an OPTI, with their own connections to AOA programs (or what’s left of them)? I’m just saying that if they do have connections, you could begin that discussion with your Dean, MSPE advisor etc. about next steps if you don’t match.

Don’t lose faith! I totally understand your despondency, but just keep trying to do the next right thing – baby steps to get through to the finish line. Reach out to people for help and don’t sabotage the work you’ve done. I just say that because I know I get a big case of the “**** its” when these roadblocks happen and that this can lead to self-fulfilling prophecies.

Good luck!

What do I do?
Can you scramble ob?
Do I go back to my old research job
Do I apply this late to other fields?
Do I apply prelim progs and pray I can match again even tho applying a2nd time is seen terribly?

It looks like people have scrambled in the past. Here’s a thread on the topic, although it’s old – 2010.

OB Scramble

I would repost all these questions in the ObGyn residency forum, or under General Residency. Do some research. I wouldn’t go back to your research job – match, scramble, soap into something. Do you have loans? You’ll have to start paying those back after six months!

Or alternatively, you could explore throwing some Hail Mary applications out to another specialty (Fam Med). Some family med programs are more obstetric heavy than others. It’s November, but I believe you still have options if you act quickly. Look at preliminary programs, search freida, look at ObGyn programs that didn’t fill last year

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2017.pdf

talk to someone knowledgeable at your school – research all of your options!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What do you think of the SE? Or more specifically, Alabama, TN, Missouri, Louisiana? Seems like you might need to expand your geography. Also sounds like one of your LOR's might be a rat (or someone is, that rescinding makes me suspicious), send them all to advisor for review.

Something is off here tho. How many of those programs already have a DO resident? Did you apply pretty much based on Geography?

What do you think of the SE? Or more specifically, Alabama, TN, Missouri, Louisiana? Seems like you might need to expand your geography. Also sounds like one of your LOR's might be a rat (or someone is, that rescinding makes me suspicious), send them all to advisor for review.

Something is off here tho. How many of those programs already have a DO resident? Did you apply pretty much based on Geography?
I only applied to places with atleast 1 do, w some reaches

Is OB that competitive? This seems pretty crazy.

Bad LOR or poor grade on OB rotations is sinking you. Getting 2 of 60 interviews sounds very suspicious

Yeah there is a piece to this we aren’t getting.

Wow had no idea OBGYN is this competitive 0.0, 234 USMLE is definitely good enough to get a dozen of interviews regardless.....

Members don't see this ad :)
I see you previously had a post regarding academic dishonesty, which, if in your dean's letter, would certainly shed some light on why you're having a hard time.

Reactions: 4 users
I see you previously had a post regarding academic dishonesty, which, if in your dean's letter, would certainly shed some light on why you're having a hard time.
ooooooo if this is the case then it makes sense...having it on record will basically invalidate anything that you ever achieved.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah if this is the case his only chance is to tackle it head on. Call programs and lay out your circumstances. Still, sounds like a SOAP scenario then for sure.

Yeah if this is the case his only chance is to tackle it head on. Call programs and lay out your circumstances. Still, sounds like a SOAP scenario then for sure.
last year there were 0 OBGYN spots in the AOA soap, idk about the AGME one but I remember reading very little if any

last year there were 0 OBGYN spots in the AOA soap, idk about the AGME one but I remember reading very little if any
Whether there are spots or not, sounds like OP needs to get ready for it. If what your saying is true then he might as well shotgun all the regions previously ignored, cause even SOAP isn't an option for OBGYN. Might want to save the FM programs for SOAP time.

Hi all. Yes you can go back and read that academic thread (it was me re-setting my Qbank to do the same types of questions ie cardio and telling them I had done random Qs...so I don't believe it was on the scope of terrible and they were understanding... further it wasn't on my Deans L.)

To update: No i did not match anywhere out of 50+ programs.... Scrambling seems futile...

Basically aim so low failing is one of your options and you don;t spiral into self hatred...

Still trying to find a Plan B.

Hi all. Yes you can go back and read that academic thread (it was me re-setting my Qbank to do the same types of questions ie cardio and telling them I had done random Qs...so I don't believe it was on the scope of terrible and they were understanding... further it wasn't on my Deans L.)

To update: No i did not match anywhere out of 50+ programs.... Scrambling seems futile...

Basically aim so low failing is one of your options and you don;t spiral into self hatred...

AOA scramble/FM SOAP, send your letters to your adviser and find out what is holding you back. I might even call programs and ask. If its not on your deans letter or transcript then something else is getting you. I was hoping you would have found out by now.

Multiple programs rescinded an interview offer because you didn't reply back within 20 minutes? C'mon...

Your entire post sounds fishy, tbh. What are you leaving out?

Multiple programs rescinded an interview offer because you didn't reply back within 20 minutes? C'mon...

Your entire post sounds fishy, tbh. What are you leaving out?

Not really sure where you're getting rescinded offers.....

AOA scramble/FM SOAP, send your letters to your adviser and find out what is holding you back. I might even call programs and ask. If its not on your deans letter or transcript then something else is getting you. I was hoping you would have found out by now.

I did call PD (most of them wouldn't entertain my phone calls during the interview cycle- too busy). Thanks, I am not interested in FM/IM and am going to try to do a transitional year or research and try again....

Not really sure where you're getting rescinded offers.....

Are you already forgetting your story?

Not trying to be an ass, and I have zero authority to give you any advice given I haven't even started school yet, but your story doesn't sound quite right IMO. No one just yanks an interview offer because you took 20 whole minutes to respond to them.

Rescinding an offer sounds drastic but I would not be surprised if their slots did initially fill in that amount of time. Some schools drastically over-invite applicants for a relatively small number of spots.

Rescinded =/= waitlisted.

I’m not OB, but there were definitely interviews that filled up as soon as the invites when out.

It sucks, but you snooze you lose.

It didn’t matter what rotation I was on, what meeting I was in, or what patient I was talking to. The second I got that email I dropped my **** and left the room and took care of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Rescinded =/= waitlisted.

I’m not OB, but there were definitely interviews that filled up as soon as the invites when out.

It sucks, but you snooze you lose.

It didn’t matter what rotation I was on, what meeting I was in, or what patient I was talking to. The second I got that email I dropped my **** and left the room and took care of it.

How frequently did this happen to you during the year?

Personally I had two (of seventeen) that filled up all their interview spots for the season within half an hour. However spots did reopen in the following weeks as people dropped their interviews.

That's crazy...

For real, glad to know this is a thing.

Note to self, if program emails you, stop doing chest compressions, leave room, and reply.
Well you need a good excuse: "hey I need to sub out I am tired" then run. But the best excuse is not to have that kind of rotation during interview invite season in the first place. Seems like Oct-Dec is a fine time to get in some mandatory cushy 'rural' rotations.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s stuff like this that makes me seriously wonder if I’ll ever make it into general surgery. Very sorry to hear of your situation, on the surface it just seems crazy. What was your COMLEX if you don’t mind sharing? You said no failures, but where did you land in class rank? Also, just as general advice, do you think not isolating your apps to NE would have made a difference? You said a few random midwestern spots, but maybe there were less competitive fallback places you could have added? I know you’re still in the throws of this, but any “what I should have done” advice for us younger med students would be super appreciated.

Well you need a good excuse: "hey I need to sub out I am tired" then run. But the best excuse is not to have that kind of rotation during interview invite season in the first place. Seems like Oct-Dec is a fine time to get in some mandatory cushy 'rural' rotations.

Yep, pretty much selected cush rotations for my mandatories in 4th year. So grateful I did!

For real, glad to know this is a thing.

Note to self, if program emails you, stop doing chest compressions, leave room, and reply.

If you don't read SDN everyday, you literally miss gold nuggets like this very easily.

See if you can find a prelim surgery year and work on your preop and postop management skills and some surgery experience, then try again for OB next year

Obgyn seemed to be extremely competitive this year.