Not even a pandemic can stop OMM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kr#36

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school is holding an OMM practical Monday where we'll be performing god knows what on each other while wearing N95's and gloves. The best part is that 2/3 of our class is in the middle of dedicated right now due to Prometric cancellations.

Kids, if you think you can escape OMM, think again.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 24 users
Why? I thought there was a big spike in COVID cases right now.

Yep. Our state is essentially breaking its own records for cases on a daily basis right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
They want that 3% of OMM users after PE/graduation (aka the gun isn't to your head anymore) to drop to 0.1% on pure spite alone lol.

Reactions: 4 users
This is just aggressive stupidity

Reactions: 6 users
The Ghost of A.T. Still demands human sacrifice to end this plague

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
That’s definitely not the only school doing it. We still have to do our OMM practical, too. It just got pushed into August, though, so since it’s a “prerequisite” for rotations, everyone’s rotations also just got pushed back again, if they weren’t already pushed past August. :rolleyes:

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Our school is doing this in a few weeks as well. All of orientation is virtual except for the second year practicals we couldn't complete at the end of the semester. They told us this is a requirement to begin rotations and to graduate on time.

• Wow
Our school is doing this in a few weeks as well. All of orientation is virtual except for the second year practicals we couldn't complete at the end of the semester. They told us this is a requirement to begin rotations and to graduate on time.

They tried to give us the same BS but that "requirement" is completely made up by them. Meanwhile covid cases continued their rapid rise today in Texas...

I feel you OP. I'm starting 3rd year rotations and this year my school decided it was a great time to increase our OMT requirements. Not even mentioning increased proximity to patients, but it is an increased workload during a time when we're all already struggling more than usual (for example, two attendings that I know of are already out with COVID). It's very annoying, to say the least.

Osteopathy ****ed you.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Y'all need to have faith. Do any of you actually think you need to be afraid of Covid-19 when you're all gonna be busy raising ribs and doming diaphragms? The virus doesn't have a chance. Only reason the pandemic isn't over already is because Fauci is an MD who only treats diseases and not patients.

• Haha
Reactions: 18 users
Entering NSUKPCOM here. No OMM this upcoming semester. Some other classes and labs are being moved to spring semester while immunology is being moved to fall semester. Histology and anatomy labs will be completely online. Maybe further into semester we will have in person opportunities but no one is obligated to go to campus for this semester. Some students who haven’t signed a lease yet especially out of state are going to stay home.

Entering NSUKPCOM here. No OMM this upcoming semester. Some other classes and labs are being moved to spring semester while immunology is being moved to fall semester. Histology and anatomy labs will be completely online. Maybe further into semester we will have in person opportunities but no one is obligated to go to campus for this semester. Some students who haven’t signed a lease yet especially out of state are going to stay home.
NSU is going to realize that med school can go 100% online and other DO schools are going to catch on. Online med school in the US is now a reality.

All in all though, smart choice by NSU. I just worry it won't end when Covid does.

NSU is going to realize that med school can go 100% online and other DO schools are going to catch on. Online med school in the US is now a reality.

All in all though, smart choice by NSU. I just worry it won't end when Covid does.

My preclinical years were 80% online pre-covid anyways. While a small minority of people went to class, most watched recorded lectures (or just used boards resources) from home. I do think anatomy lab, mock patient interviews, and physical exam practicals were useful though.

Reactions: 6 users
Is that just for 1st years? I’d imagine it be difficult to make up omm during board prep for 2nd years

My preclinical years were 80% online pre-covid anyways. While a small minority of people went to class, most watched recorded lectures (or just used boards resources) from home. I do think anatomy lab, mock patient interviews, and physical exam practicals were useful though.
Yeah, I mostly went to class 1st year and stopped going 2nd year. Grades went up 2nd year. But I do think there's value in having a med school class form a community around an actual physical campus. Anatomy lab and a few other activities should go back to in-person when safe.

I mean, wouldn't it be sad if you never actually made any friends during pre-clinicals?

My school is doing the same thing. Instead of the weekly 4 hour integrated lecture/lab session, it's a 2 hour lab session in smaller groups and we are required to watch the recorded didactic portion prior to class. Worst part is that if we are shut down again, the plan is to pause all OMM labs and make them up as soon as we would be able to be back in the lab, which would mean multiple 2 hour OMM sessions a week. It is the stuff of nightmares.

• Haha