not cut out for the dream...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Taiger

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
what happens when you have your heart set on pursuing a career in the medical field (preferably a doctor of some sort) and reality kicks it....you just might not be able to handle it.
lately, i've really been doubting myself. if first started when i went to college and was surrounded by wonderful, intelligent, well-rounded people. the feeling of intimidation passed, but now, something new has come up--> the stomach! do i really have it...i mean...will i be able to take it? doesn't look like it...for the second time, i have passed out over a simple procedure. what do i do? i don't want to give up, but i'm afraid i'll pass out again. do you think this will go away if i keep exposing myself to these things? or, is there some way to control these feelings? the nausea and whatnot?
someone, help me, PLEASE, cause i don't know what i'll do if this "plan" doesn't work out. thank you all for taking the time to read this.
ToOtLeS,
TaIgEr

Members don't see this ad.

What "simple procedure" did you pass out over?

it's really embarassing....it was REALLY simple...perhaps i could personally email you, cause i know hella people are reading this!

Members don't see this ad :)
okay...i guess if i plan on going into the medical field, i must learn humiliation. i was observing the removal of a mole...a BIG MOLE!
wink.gif
honestly though...this is not the first time...that's why i am so afraid. it happened prior to this (my senior yr. of h.s.) when a small boy came in with his ring finger swollen twice the actual size. the doctor i was shadowing was making an incision in the finger to release the puss...i couldn't tell you what happened after that b/c my view from the floor was not that great. anyways...that's my story. can someone help me now...or, is there just NO HOPE!?!?

I did crap like that at first too. You desensitize to it.

------------------
Jim Henderson, MD of MedicalStudent.net http://www.medicalstudent.net

[This message has been edited by medicalstudent.net (edited 10-29-1999).]

Don't feel bad! I think I am going to freak out the first time I see the face of a cadaver. I have seen a few, but the face was always covered. The idea of making an incision on a face seems to be a bit much on the gross me out scale, but I won't let it stop me. Don't let it stop you.

Taiger
You do eventually desensitized to this matter. I work as a nurse and pursuing med school. My sister was in the same boat as you. She is also a nurse. Before my sister went to nursing school she passed out at the sight of blood. (farm girl, cutting hogs) She did pass out a couple of times in nursing school then it progressed to woozy feelings. Now she deals with sawed off fingers, penitrating wounds and it doesn't even phase her. Myself, I have seen an occulation in my nursing education in the cardiac ICU. I about met the floor because the mortition came to take this patients eyes (donors). The mortition pulls out the instructions and a ~5 gauge needle (more like 14 gauge) and pushed it into her chest to get a blood draw from the left vent. for a blood draw (she was dead.) Well, he missed the left vent. bent the needle 45 degree while in her chest, pulled the needle out, pushed it back in (bent) and pulled the plunger to get the blood draw. That when I about met the floor. Really though do mental excercises on the thing that make you light headed. Don't retreat, never give up, you will conquer this. Hope this help a little
smile.gif

thanks all...i'm scared, but i won't give up. i guess if i really want this, i can make it happen. once again, thank you all.
much love,
TaIgEr
smile.gif

someone, help me, PLEASE, cause i don't know what i'll do if this "plan" doesn't work out. thank you all for taking the time to read this.
You just have to see the procedure enough to get over the initial shock of it. All in due time, man

16 year old thread bump for no reason. The OP is chief of his department by now. #why #winning

Reactions: 3 users
When I was 19 years old, I finally had the opportunity to visit a dentist. I had to have my molars removed and they made me watch this painfully dull video about the procedure. I almost passed out during the video even though the characters were animated! A few years later I dissected a cadaver for the first time and I wasn't bothered. The difference? Time and Exposure. Relax... If you have a cadaver lab on campus (perhaps for anatomy??) go and check it out. Regularly.

16 year old thread bump for no reason. The OP is chief of his department by now. #why #winning

Yikes! Still learning to check for post dates. embarrassing.

You just have to see the procedure enough to get over the initial shock of it. All in due time, man

That guy is probably a physician by now.

lol

Reactions: 1 user
OMG 1999? People had computers back then? :laugh:

Reactions: 5 users
I enjoyed this bump. I have yet to see anything that has made me feel nauseated or faint, but I'm excited to have that tested!

Reactions: 1 user