Not a good way to start an alternate letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SOBEIT

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From GW:

Dear SOBEIT:

"The committee on Admissions is pleased to inform you that you have been selected as an alternate for the first year class entering August 2004. etc..."

No letter should use "pleased to inform" unless it is an acceptance.

So what is the story with GW's alternate list?

Members don't see this ad.

haha at least it wasnt "pleased to inform you that you have been rejected"

Originally posted by SOBEIT
From GW:

Dear SOBEIT:

"The committee on Admissions is pleased to inform you that you have been selected as an alternate for the first year class entering August 2004. etc..."

No letter should use "pleased to inform" unless it is an acceptance.

So what is the story with GW's alternate list?

I got the same alternate letter so don't feel bad. I think the problem is GW interviews a lot of people -at least 1000 people and they can't overbook on acceptances. In my case, they probably thought I would go to my state school since I went to it for undergrad. I'm from the DC area. My parents live there and I would like to practice there. So they put me on the alternate list figuring I would probably go to my state school since I didn't go to a DC school for undergrad.

With a lot of schools, I think they're trying to figure out who will come and who will go to other schools, based on the applicant's stats and such. So GW maybe thinks that you'll get accepted at other schools and maybe go to one that's "higher on the food chain" so to speak. And if you don't get in anywhere else, you just bugg them to get accepted.

How did you guys here so soon, are you in DC?