Northwestern IO meeting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davidjones

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So it's been like a month. Can anyone who went to NW for the IO forum care to fill the rest of noobs in on what was talked about. I heard that they are starting a formal IR/IO residency there? ??

Members don't see this ad.

So it's been like a month. Can anyone who went to NW for the IO forum care to fill the rest of noobs in on what was talked about. I heard that they are starting a formal IR/IO residency there? ??

You mean they are splitting off from DR?

that's what I heard. But I'm not sure if that's one of those, i heard from a guy who heard from a guy things...; I'm more interested in the topics covered

I was able to go to a couple of hours of the conference. I felt it was very well done. It was more of an overview than anything else and introduction to IR at the student level. It showcased mainly interventional oncology and the future technology and the potential role of nanotechnology. There was also a pretty good hands on workshop which included use of catheter, balloons, stents, embolization coils, cryoablation tools and microwave with cadaveric liver. Also discussed their integrated IR/IO track which includes a dedicated year of research. The goal is to develop a very specialized interventional oncologist. Overall the meeting was very good, we are hoping to have them emulate a component of this at the SIR annual meeting in March 2012 for the students day.