Northwestern (Feinberg) vs UChicago (Pritzker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I_like_Floors

Reaction score
Really tough spot for me right now. Biggest factor right now is that FSM offered me 75% tuition (less than any other offer I have been given; Mayo -- Full tuition (50 merit/ 50 need); Case Western -- 78% tuition; UChicago -- Full tuition, negotiating for stipend).

Northwestern Feinberg School of Medicine:

Pros:
  • Great location (~10 min from my condo)
  • Know a lot of incoming students
  • Good vibe
  • ECMH
  • Prosected anatomy lab
  • Better hospital system/residency programs (if I stay in Chicago, I would like to match NU over UC)
  • Prestige (equal? Maybe UC a little bit more in general and NU in medicine??)
  • Shiny cool buildings
  • Parking pass available (I will be driving to school)
  • Easier to match a NM residency
  • Visited for second look officially so I may be more biased
  • Exams always on a Friday so you get a free weekend between blocks
  • No required lectures
  • I own a lot of purple already
  • No internal rankings
  • No required lectures, just required pbl sessions
Cons:
  • 2-year pre-clinical
  • 75% Tuition (if they don't match I am choosing UChicago easily)
  • I felt like I was second helpings for them always – rejected from early assurance program (for stupid reason), not accepted in early round of regular decision, they didn’t match full-tuition after being explicit with the dean in-person that if it is not full-tuition I am not coming)
  • Quite large class size?
  • MSPE
  • AOA
  • Start in late July

UChicago Pritzker School of Medicine:

Pros:
  • GREAT vibes (from everybody. Students, staff, admin, faculty, etc.)
  • Just right class size (90) (not mayo or kaiser small but not huge either)
  • FULL TUITION (may get a living stipend; negotiation in the works)
  • Really nice gothic architecture and a modern medical school building/new hospital
  • Prestige (same as above statement)
  • Huge focus on community health
  • All the research I could want – eharmony letter
  • I felt like I was a first choice pick for them (I didn’t have to negotiate for full tuition, I got my A call super early in the cycle [nov])
  • Visited unofficially but they did an exceptional job at accommodating us – even better than Mayo (paid our parking, bought lunch for my whole family, m 4x M4s to guide us, talk with the dean)
  • Fantastic summer vacation (paid research too if you want it)
  • No MSPE
  • Honors isn’t super hard to get (like 50% get it) – (though it may be changing according to M3s)
  • No internal rankings
  • No required lectures
  • Start in early August (more break before med school 😀)
Cons:
  • Good, not great, residency program
  • Hospital is not as nice as NM
  • ~30 min away from my condo
  • Parking permit hard to get but street parking exists
  • Hyde park is not as nice as Streeterville
  • AOA
  • Exclusive in-house exams (no MBME – maybe a pro?)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am trying to get FSM to at least match full tuition; if they don't, then it is UChicago all the way

I'm biased because I'm from Chicago (15 min west of the NU med campus) and love cycling, but if you live 10 min away from Northwestern, I 100% recommend biking during the nice times of year! It'll save you time in the morning rush and it'll really help clear your head. I was also looking at Northwestern/Pritzker/Mayo and Northwestern afaik is the only one that has a secured bike room right next to the med school + showers.

For school choice, were you looking at potentially getting a dual degree?
I am considering an MPH, though for me it is not a deal breaker as an MD can do public health work pretty easily too especially at Uchi

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm biased because I'm from Chicago (15 min west of the NU med campus) and love cycling, but if you live 10 min away from Northwestern, I 100% recommend biking during the nice times of year! It'll save you time in the morning rush and it'll really help clear your head. I was also looking at Northwestern/Pritzker/Mayo and Northwestern afaik is the only one that has a secured bike room right next to the med school + showers.

For school choice, were you looking at potentially getting a dual degree?
Are you at FSM now or are you still deciding on a med school?

Based on your pros and cons, it sounds like you really want to attend NU if the money comes down. You are really pushing for it by going as far as saying you already own a lot of purple! It sounds like your decision is made once you find out your final offer from both schools. You can't go wrong with either option.

I’m in the same decision but opposite (Feinberg gave me 100% aid and UChi only 75%) but i realized that UChi felt right to me during this second look, so if they match Feinbergs offer - I will go there 100%. I really think at this point it’s about where felt right, and the community felt unmatched at Pritzker. Looking forward to hearing your thought process towards your decision!!! I keep reminding myself that this is a great place to be, we are truly blessed with amazing choices and it’s really coming down to the money and “what feels right” for me.