Northwestern DPT 2021-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lh818

Reaction score
Has anyone else applied to/heard back from Northwestern's DPT program for the 2021-22 cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Applied have not heard back yet! I think the earliest is Sept 15th!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my acceptance today (10/1)!

Last edited:
Hello,

I was wondering for those who were accepted, will you be choosing Northwestern? Why or why not?

Hello,

I was wondering for those who were accepted, will you be choosing Northwestern? Why or why not?
I’m heavily considering accepting my offer! It’s one of my top choices because of the strong reputation and the program’s partnership with the Shirley Ryan Abilitylab (leader in neurorehab). I also just really liked the vibes I got from the staff and DPT students at the virtual info session I attended. But I’d love to hear from anyone who has any more info about the program / the student experience to make my decision a little easier!

I’m heavily considering accepting my offer! It’s one of my top choices because of the strong reputation and the program’s partnership with the Shirley Ryan Abilitylab (leader in neurorehab). I also just really liked the vibes I got from the staff and DPT students at the virtual info session I attended. But I’d love to hear from anyone who has any more info about the program / the student experience to make my decision a little easier!
Thank you! I am totally in the same boat. The shirley ryan abilitylab was a big seller for me too and the fact the professors who teach the DPT program also teach in their prestigious MD program so I am hoping the education is the best of the best. It seems a lot of currently practiced PT clinical protocols are made by Northwestern faculty too, which is so cool. But I guess I am just trying to justify the cost. I hear consistently and can definitely see that it is a great program from past grads, but I am also wondering how great can an entry level program be? Like is it really 223K great?

Thank you! I am totally in the same boat. The shirley ryan abilitylab was a big seller for me too and the fact the professors who teach the DPT program also teach in their prestigious MD program so I am hoping the education is the best of the best. It seems a lot of currently practiced PT clinical protocols are made by Northwestern faculty too, which is so cool. But I guess I am just trying to justify the cost. I hear consistently and can definitely see that it is a great program from past grads, but I am also wondering how great can an entry level program be? Like is it really 223K great?
yea, cost is one of the factors holding me back too :( unfortunately I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the state schools in my home state, so I mostly applied to OOS public and private schools. But even the OOS public schools I applied to are ~20k cheaper than Northwestern, so I'm a little hesitant. Ive heard a lot of PTs advise you just choose your cheapest option, but I can't imagine a program with Northwestern's faculty, partnerships, and alumni network doesn't put you ahead in some way post-grad? idk haha

Members don't see this ad :)
It's a great program but it is very $$$. The reputation might only impact you if you plan a more academic path and consider getting a PhD. I'm also not sure where the comment about faculty teaching in the MD program is coming from, this is not true at least with most of the faculty. I'm not affiliated with NU but work closely with many faculty on research projects and in prof organizations.

Hello,

I agree! Heavily considering it because it has everything I want just trying to figure out if I can financially afford to go there. Waiting to hear back from some other schools before deciding.

It's a great program but it is very $$$. The reputation might only impact you if you plan a more academic path and consider getting a PhD. I'm also not sure where the comment about faculty teaching in the MD program is coming from, this is not true at least with most of the faculty. I'm not affiliated with NU but work closely with many faculty on research projects and in prof organizations.
Thank you for this information! I'm not planning on getting a PhD, but I am interested in completing a residency or fellowship following my DPT (I'm not set on this of course, but I'm definitely considering it as an option). Do you think the reputation of the DPT program would be important in securing a residency as well? Thanks

Do you mind sharing your stats? Waiting to hear back. I applied October 1st
University: U of Memphis
Major: Health Studies; ESMS
Overall GPA: 3.56
Pre-Req GPA:3.64
GRE: 145q 149v 3.5a

Extra-Curric: 5 year military, student veteran organization, fraternity executive board, 2 years PT aide, 1 year front desk receptionist, 1 year CrossFit coach.

Volunteer: 500+ OP, 15 acute. 50 community service hours.

I applied to Duke, Pitt, Umich, UWash, and USC

Acceptances: northwestern

Rejections: none

Interviews: none

Reactions: 1 user
Did anybody attend the student Q&A forum? I am looking foward to the open house a little more now!

Extra-Curric: 5 year military, student veteran organization, fraternity executive board, 2 years PT aide, 1 year front desk receptionist, 1 year CrossFit coach.

ok thank you!
Here are my stats:

Michigan State University
Major: Kinesiology Minor: Health Promotion
Overall GPA : 3.91
Pre-Req: 3.825
GRE: 148 Q, 146 V, 4.0 A

Extra: Anatomy Ta 2 years, Rehab Tech, 5 years food service
volunteer: 580 hours at elderly home + TA, 300 (500 planned) hours rehab tech

I applied to NW, Boston, GVSU, Umich, Andrews, and Rosiland

Acceptances : none

Interviews : Andrews

Rejections: None

ok thank you!
Here are my stats:

Michigan State University
Major: Kinesiology Minor: Health Promotion
Overall GPA : 3.91
Pre-Req: 3.825
GRE: 148 Q, 146 V, 4.0 A

Extra: Anatomy Ta 2 years, Rehab Tech, 5 years food service
volunteer: 580 hours at elderly home + TA, 300 (500 planned) hours rehab tech

I applied to NW, Boston, GVSU, Umich, Andrews, and Rosiland

Acceptances : none

Interviews : Andrews

Rejections: None
Update: I got the acceptance email form northwestern 11/18! Good luck everyone

Update: 11/18 placed on the alternate list. Anybody else?

Congrats! What is your top choice??
Northwestern is definitely my top choice, I’m going to visit Monday. But I’m 99% sure I am accepting the offer. My boss went to northwestern & has only said good things about the program. I think I want to end up working in Chicago and that will get me into the best hospitals. It’s expensive but it’s also 2.5 years so it ends out being almost the same price as the 3 year programs. Are you accepting your offer?? I

Northwestern is definitely my top choice, I’m going to visit Monday. But I’m 99% sure I am accepting the offer. My boss went to northwestern & has only said good things about the program. I think I want to end up working in Chicago and that will get me into the best hospitals. It’s expensive but it’s also 2.5 years so it ends out being almost the same price as the 3 year programs. Are you accepting your offer?? I
That’s awesome, if you don’t mind let me know how the visit goes? I am looking forward to the virtual open house but I don't think I will make an actual visit, From what I have researched, I really like the program so I would say it’s top 2 for me! I am waiting on UPitt before I make a final decision.

Hey! I'm also planning a visit in a few weeks. I was wondering- when you visit are you just planning on exploring the area surrounding the Downtown Chicago campus? I wasn't sure if visitors are actually allowed inside the building or not or what exactly there is to see that we have access to haha

That’s awesome, if you don’t mind let me know how the visit goes? I am looking forward to the virtual open house but I don't think I will make an actual visit, From what I have researched, I really like the program so I would say it’s top 2 for me! I am waiting on UPitt before I make a final decision.
My visit went really good! I fell in love with the campus. It’s right in downtown Chicago but Northwestern Owns 2-3 blocks so it’s like a mini campus. I didn’t actually go into the DPT clinic which is the 645 N Michigan Ave but I walked around the whole area & went into some of the Feinberg buildings. The campus is very nice! Great area of Chicago. There are some apartments pretty close and eveyrhing you need it within a block or two. Let me know if you have any more questions! I’m attending the Meet &. Greet on January 8th so I can give you more information then. After visting I’m 100% sure I’m going there.

Hey! I'm also planning a visit in a few weeks. I was wondering- when you visit are you just planning on exploring the area surrounding the Downtown Chicago campus? I wasn't sure if visitors are actually allowed inside the building or not or what exactly there is to see that we have access to haha
Hi! I actually went there Monday & looked around. I went into the Feinberg buildings & classrooms (not 100% sure if you’re allowed to but nobody said anything). But I didn’t go see the actually DPT clinic because it’s in a building with a front desk person. I definitely would go visit! It’s a great area & so many other things to do when you’re outside of the campus. I went shopping & looked at some apartments around campus. Campus was so nice & its right downtown but they own a couple blocks so there are a ton of students out & around. Going there made my decision 100% easier. Let me know if you have any other questions! Are you attending the meet & greet on January 8th?

Hi! I actually went there Monday & looked around. I went into the Feinberg buildings & classrooms (not 100% sure if you’re allowed to but nobody said anything). But I didn’t go see the actually DPT clinic because it’s in a building with a front desk person. I definitely would go visit! It’s a great area & so many other things to do when you’re outside of the campus. I went shopping & looked at some apartments around campus. Campus was so nice & its right downtown but they own a couple blocks so there are a ton of students out & around. Going there made my decision 100% easier. Let me know if you have any other questions! Are you attending the meet & greet on January 8th?
Hey, thanks for the info! I'll just do the same and let myself into some of the buildings haha. Northwestern is one of my top 2 choices, so I'll def be visiting to look around the campus / general area. I'm actually not attending the Jan 8 meet and greet (I already had booked a trip to Disneyworld for that weekend before they announced it haha), which is why I'm going to visit soon so I can still see campus and the area! I'll be at the upcoming virtual sessions though, so maybe see you then! Thanks again for the info:)

My visit went really good! I fell in love with the campus. It’s right in downtown Chicago but Northwestern Owns 2-3 blocks so it’s like a mini campus. I didn’t actually go into the DPT clinic which is the 645 N Michigan Ave but I walked around the whole area & went into some of the Feinberg buildings. The campus is very nice! Great area of Chicago. There are some apartments pretty close and eveyrhing you need it within a block or two. Let me know if you have any more questions! I’m attending the Meet &. Greet on January 8th so I can give you more information then. After visting I’m 100% sure I’m going there.
Thanks for the info!
My visit went really good! I fell in love with the campus. It’s right in downtown Chicago but Northwestern Owns 2-3 blocks so it’s like a mini campus. I didn’t actually go into the DPT clinic which is the 645 N Michigan Ave but I walked around the whole area & went into some of the Feinberg buildings. The campus is very nice! Great area of Chicago. There are some apartments pretty close and eveyrhing you need it within a block or two. Let me know if you have any more questions! I’m attending the Meet &. Greet on January 8th so I can give you more information then. After visting I’m 100% sure I’m going
Thanks for the info! It great that the visit helped solidify your choice in programs. It honestly make me want to make the trip up there for the meet and greet because I am honestly torn between two programs. 😭 I will definitely be attending the zoom meet and greet on the 18th!

Hi! Is anyone who is committing to Northwestern from California? I got accepted and feel like it would be silly to turn down a great opportunity but am a bit nervous about moving so far from home.

Hi! Is anyone who is committing to Northwestern from California? I got accepted and feel like it would be silly to turn down a great opportunity but am a bit nervous about moving so far from home.
Hi! I accepted my offer and I’ve only ever lived in CA :) I felt the same way, but such a great opportunity I couldn’t pass it up and Chicago is an amazing city, hope that helps!

Hi! I accepted my offer and I’ve only ever lived in CA :) I felt the same way, but such a great opportunity I couldn’t pass it up and Chicago is an amazing city, hope that helps!
Oo awesome! Yeah same I even went to college pretty local so this makes me a bit nervous. I feel like I should visit before making a decision but I think I’m going to have to put deposit down before I’ll have a chance

Oo awesome! Yeah same I even went to college pretty local so this makes me a bit nervous. I feel like I should visit before making a decision but I think I’m going to have to put deposit down before I’ll have a chance
Yeah I would recommend visiting before if you can! I went in November and it completely solidified my decision, are you able to make it to the open house in January?

I wasn't able to attend the meet n greet in January. How did it go?

I wasn't able to attend the meet n greet in January. How did it go?
It was less of a meet and greet and more of a tour. That being said, we did get to meet some of the research professors along with Heather and the student who was our guide. The facilities were fantastic and the amount of space that northwestern occupies within 2 blocks amazed me. There are multiple different areas to study (alone or in groups) and all the classes are pretty much in one building. I personally didn’t see any other students on the tour because I chose an earlier spot but there was a list of at least 30 people who signed up.

Sorry if this was all over the place. Just trying touch a little of everything! 😅

Just received an email - I was placed on the alternate candidate list. It also said that this list is unranked

Hi everyone! I just applied for early decision for Northwestern DPT cycle 2022-2023. Did anyone else do early decision last year? If so, how soon did they get back to you? I see their website says September but wasn't sure if it is possible it could be sooner? I want to apply to more programs but just spent a lot of money applying to six and want to wait to hear back from NU.

I agree! Heavily considering it because it has everything I want just trying to figure out if I can financially afford to go there. Waiting to hear back from some other schools before deciding.
Did you end up picking Northwestern? If so can you please share your experience so far?