Northern Arizona 2014-15 application thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesertPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sooooooo....who's applying to NAU this cycle? Let's start a neurotic interviews and decisions waiting thread!! :hungover:

I submitted my PTCAS mid-September...interviews will be the 27th and 28th of February and decisions should start getting sent out some time during the following week or so (first week of March apparently). So 3 months of waiting down, and about 3 to go! lol

Everyone please hit up this thread if you are applying to NAU so that we can all partake either in each others' joy or devastation, whatever the case may be. Hopefully the former... :xf:

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't, but it says on their website that is what the scheduling will be. That has also been the scheduling for the last several years (interviews last Friday and Saturday of Feb. and notification first week of March or so).

Members don't see this ad :)
@knj27 I applied to NAU about the same time as you, but you have better stats. I hope I get an interview with them. Maybe... which campus did you apply to?

Reactions: 1 user
@knj27 I applied to NAU about the same time as you, but you have better stats. I hope I get an interview with them. Maybe... which campus did you apply to?

You don't apply to a particular campus, you just apply to NAU and then they ask you which campus you want to go to (either at interview or time of acceptance, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's once you've been interviewed).

Are you an Arizona resident?

And @DjT3kN when did you interview at Midwestern? Was it in the 11/21 group?

I saw you got waitlisted there I think? Do they tell you how high up on the list you are?

PTCAS mailed Oct.14 :whistle:

Well since it seems like they don't really even review or rank applications until sometime in January, I got the impression that having your app in pretty close to the deadline didn't really matter. :thumbup:

And @DjT3kN when did you interview at Midwestern? Was it in the 11/21 group?

I saw you got waitlisted there I think? Do they tell you how high up on the list you are?

No, unfortunately I'm not a AZ resident. CA here. :p
Oh I haven't gotten waitlisted for acceptance at Midwestern. They put me on a waitlist for an interview! >_<

No, unfortunately I'm not a AZ resident. CA here. :p

Ah gotcha...well NAU interviews an amazing number of OOS applicants so I wouldn't give up hope lol

Oh I haven't gotten waitlisted for acceptance at Midwestern. They put me on a waitlist for an interview! >_<

:smack: Dang...well their final matriculation rate of the people the send acceptances out is pretty low (like ~40%), so if that is any indication then there is probably still hope for you to sneak in there for an interview in Jan. or Feb.

Also applying to NAU, I submitted PTCAS mid-September. I'm not from Arizona either, but I couldn't resist the (relatively) large number of OOS folks they interview/accept!

oh and i applied to u of washington, too:thinking:

Also applying to NAU, I submitted PTCAS mid-September. I'm not from Arizona either, but I couldn't resist the (relatively) large number of OOS folks they interview/accept!

Well you're not the only one that couldn't resist based on the number of applications they get. A lady there told me last year it was >1400 IIRC :eek:

Do you know how many OOS applicants they interview? She told me last year they interviewed essentially all the qualified AZ applicants, and quite a large number of OOS people as well. I can't remember what the number was but it was definitely >100. Might have been 200...

Members don't see this ad :)
I also applied. Can't wait to here back.

:thumbup: So you are eligible for WICHE being from Wyoming, no? I wonder if that gets you an admissions preference at all or just reduced tuition if you get in or what...

:thumbup: So you are eligible for WICHE being from Wyoming, no? I wonder if that gets you an admissions preference at all or just reduced tuition if you get in or what...
I am eligible for WICHE. That would be great if I had some sort of preference but I haven't heard of that being the case. Cross my fingers I guess.

108689.jpg

knj I saw your stats somewhere...you would literally have to show up to the interview drunk to not be accepted. I came a few better answered interview questions away from being accepted and I have lesser stats than you.

I applied approximately October 14th as well! :)

I applied to NAU!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Applied to NAU.
From California.
Haven't heard anything...

Applied to NAU.
From California.
Haven't heard anything...

Yep nobody has heard anything so don't worry...interview invites should be arriving in the next few weeks...

knj I saw your stats somewhere...you would literally have to show up to the interview drunk to not be accepted. I came a few better answered interview questions away from being accepted and I have lesser stats than you.

Well I wish I were as confident as you lol! But thanks for the encouragement, I sure hope you're right!! :)

Did you interview last year?

Last edited:
Well I wish I were as confident as you lol! But thanks for the encouragement, I sure hope you're right!! :)

Did you interview last year? Are you an AZ resident?
Yes I interviewed last year. Yup!

Flagstaff campus vs. Phoenix campus:

I have heard that at the Phoenix campus the anatomy class is not taught by PT Professors for PT students. Rather, PT students sit in on a class taught by Physician Assistant Professors for Physician Assistant students. Also, I have heard that cadavers are shared with Physician Assistant students. Has anyone heard this as well? The Phoenix campus has a lot of great things going for it, but these are factors which may sway my preference to the Flagstaff campus if I'm lucky enough to gain acceptance. I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

Flagstaff campus vs. Phoenix campus:

I have heard that at the Phoenix campus the anatomy class is not taught by PT Professors for PT students. Rather, PT students sit in on a class taught by Physician Assistant Professors for Physician Assistant students. Also, I have heard that cadavers are shared with Physician Assistant students. Has anyone heard this as well? The Phoenix campus has a lot of great things going for it, but these are factors which may sway my preference to the Flagstaff campus if I'm lucky enough to gain acceptance. I appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

No, I have not heard that the class is taught exclusively by PA Professors for PA's, with PT's tagging along. I would find that hard to believe. If there is some mingling with the PA's, I honestly think that sounds like a good thing. PA's have vast amounts of knowledge outside of PT, and I would love to hear some insight.

Have you seen the Phoenix campus? It's insanely awesome. Everything is brand new, state of the art. It's really impressive, and you are in the area with so many great Health Care providers, including Mayo. I wouldn't let the cadaver lab persuade you from Phoenix, NAU knows what it's doing and wouldn't screw around with Anatomy.

Just my 2 cents...our anatomy lab (I don't go to NAU) was share among NAs, PTs and OTs and were taught by our anatomy professors. I really liked that setup because you got to mingle with students from other professions, gain knowledge from other students in the different professions and got a chance to work on communication blah blah blah. Just because something isn't exclusive to PT students doesn't mean that it won't be valuable.

Here's a nice video I found about the HSEB from UofA.

I'm more interested in the Phoenix campus over Flagstaff. It seems like it would be easier to relocate there from out of state - I have some connections from my previous job, and a friend who rents out a house somewhere in Phoenix.

...a friend who rents out a house somewhere in Phoenix.

Depends on where that house is...could be 25 miles worth of rush hour traffic away from the NAU building lol

Depends on where that house is...could be 25 miles worth of rush hour traffic away from the NAU building lol
Right?? I'm not sure where it is in relationship, but I have heard horror stories about the traffic and sprawl.

Public transportation for the win! Study on the way, no time wasted. But seriously, location is so important to keeping sane. I couldn't imagine living more than 5 miles to my school location. Another part of Phoenix I like a lot is the airport proximity, so easy and affordable for family and friends to visit. Anyway this is all just wishful thinking until we hear from NAU.

Last edited:
Public transportation for the win!

Though much improved compared to 15 years ago, PHX is not exactly known for it's stellar public transportation. It used to be completely unusable (and mostly non-existent). Now it is tolerable and you could get by without a car if you absolutely had to (depending on where you live), but not having a car in PHX would seriously suck bad.

Though much improved compared to 15 years ago, PHX is not exactly known for it's stellar public transportation. It used to be completely unusable (and mostly non-existent). Now it is tolerable and you could get by without a car if you absolutely had to (depending on where you live), but not having a car in PHX would seriously suck bad.
Oh yeah, depending on it would be terrible just about anywhere you go, but just to get from A to B, PT is great. I can't tell you how much studying I get done while traveling.

but just to get from A to B, PT is great.

It took me a minute to realize what PT stood for here. lol wrong forum for other uses of that abbreviation haha

It took me a minute to realize what PT stood for here. lol wrong forum for other uses of that abbreviation haha
Haha, didn't even catch that. I can't think of a worse place to use PT as an alternate abbreviation. PT now means Physical Therapy, Patient, and/or Public Transportation.

Haha, didn't even catch that. I can't think of a worse place to use PT as an alternate abbreviation. PT now means Physical Therapy, Patient, and/or Public Transportation.

Luckily we have PT and pt to differentiate the therapist and the patient. Public transport could be pT? lol

I'm an Arizona resident who has applied to NAU this cycle and I'm waiting to hear back on interviews (the only other school I"m waiting to hear back from at at this point is University of Washington).

As I'm working overseas during this whole process, my previous interviews have been over Skype. However, when I emailed NAU about the availability of a Skype interview they only gave a vague, non-affirmative answer (the many other schools I emailed about this all gave very enthusiastic "yeses"). So, I'm mostly waiting to hear back about whether they will set up a Skype interview. Interesting, their interviews fall on the last day of my contract (and there's no way I'm having an interview after a 20 hour series of flights and another 4 hour drive haha.

I'm a bit conflicted about NAU -- I've heard great things about the program and as an AZ resident it would be quite cheap, but I'm no fan of the state and would only accept a placement at the Flagstaff campus.

So basically, with NAU's interviews being so far down the line I'm just waiting to see what happens and what they offer.

Just in case anyone was curious, here's how the NAU application numbers game would be played based on the best information I have available from last year's cycle:

When I spoke to a lady at admissions a while back, she told me that last year they interviewed all the qualified (met the minimums) AZ residents, which was ~140 students. They also interviewed close to the same number of OOS applicants (~144 based on a previous thread) but the average stats were of course much higher for the OOS interviewees (IIRC in that thread from last cycle someone claimed the average GPA for OOS interviewees was >3.7).

PTCAS also claims that NAU's class is 67% AZ residents and 33% OOS residents. Don't know how accurate that is, as PTCAS's stats are generally outdated. Nevertheless, this is how things would have broken down last cycle based on the stats on NAU's website and the other numbers I have mentioned:

1235 total applications submitted
773 qualified applicants (62.59%)

We now make a (admittedly bogus) assumption that there is an equal likelihood of an AZ applicant and an OOS applicant having submitted an application despite being unqualified, and we arrive at the following:
228 AZ applicants *.6259 = ~143 qualified AZ applicants (seems consistent with what I was told on the phone)
1007 OOS applicants *.6259 = ~630 qualified OOS applicants

We also assume that the class was ultimately made up of:
85 seats * .67 = 57 AZ residents, and
85 seats *.33 = 28 OOS residents

The matriculation rate for NAU has historically been ~96% based on a (somewhat outdated) brochure I saw. So let's assume they sent out 89 acceptances to fill 85 seats. We can therefore increase the above numbers to 59 accepted AZ residents and 30 accepted OOS applicants, once again based on these (admittedly bogus) assumptions.

Therefore, if everything were done strictly by randomly drawing names from a hat:
Qualified AZ applicants are assumed to have a 100% chance of being interviewed, and would then have a 41.26% chance of acceptance (59/143 = .4126)
Qualifed OOS applicants have a 22.86% chance of being interviewed (144/630 = .2286) and interviewed applicants then have a 20.83% chance of acceptance (30/144 = .4126). Qualified OOS applicants therefore have an overall chance of admission of 4.76% (.2286*.2083 = .0476).

While there are obviously several key assumptions being made here, I image the final likelihood of being accepted once granted an interview that I have come up with is probably within a few percentage points of the real number. Also, the class size may increase this year slightly (I seem to remember seeing the number 88 at some point).

So figure your chances are probably plus or minus a couple percent of what I have claimed in the bolded portion, if everything were just a random drawing. YMMV greatly based on your stats, obviously. Where you fall on the statistical bell-curve of in-state or OOS rankings will determine how much better or worse your chances are compared to these percentages.

This will either calm your nerves or make you more anxious than ever. Interview invites should be coming out in the next few days. :D

Last edited:
2 out of 5 of all Arizona applicants will get in.
1 out of 22 of OOS will get in.

That is sobering. Thanks for crunching such depressing numbers.

2 out of 5 of all Arizona applicants will get in.
1 out of 22 of OOS will get in.

That is sobering. Thanks for crunching such depressing numbers.

Sorry to depress you. :whistle:

NAU actually takes a lot more OOS students than most public programs due to the two campuses creating a larger class size and the fact that they make up close to a third of their class with OOS students. A lot of OOS students apply their though, presumably because their OOS tuition is some of the cheapest in the country (outside of TX at least).

At some schools though (University of New Mexico is an example that comes to mind) they will only take 1 or 2 OOS student a year. So even if only one tenth as many OOS students applied compared to NAU, your chances would still be much lower. NAU offering admission to ~30 OOS students every year is way more than a lot of public schools.

And remember, where you really stand as far as probability totally depends on your stats. If you have a 4.0 and 90th percentile on the GRE as an OOS student, that 4.76% chance could easily triple if not more.

Last edited:
I'm more interested in the Phoenix campus over Flagstaff. It seems like it would be easier to relocate there from out of state - I have some connections from my previous job, and a friend who rents out a house somewhere in Phoenix.
Flagstaff is a great town to attend graduate school, married or single. Just 2¢.

just wondering if there's any chance they'd do some in phoenix rather than flagstaff. for convenience.:rofl:

just wondering if there's any chance they'd do some in phoenix rather than flagstaff. for convenience.:rofl:

My bad...thought you said when are the interviews... :smack: You are right there web page doesn't talk about where they will be.

I believe they do them in both locations. I called and asked if there was any opportunity to specify which campus you would like to interview at and I was told no, they will tell you where your interview will be at the time you receive an invitation.