Northcentral University Online MSW -Advice Needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1131940

y

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
About NCU
Founded in 1996...online only...I’d be concerned personally.

Reactions: 1 user
You were offered a "full-ride" scholarship by a university you are not familiar with? Can you help us better visualize how this came to be? What, exactly, do you mean when you use the term "full-ride?" Who is funding this scholarship?

I doubt you will find many fans of NCU here on this site, mostly due to its online-only delivery format.

This program MAY qualify you for licensure in the state in which you plan to practice. I imagine NCU offers the typical cattle drive experience of very large cohorts, poor student-to-professor ratios, a poor opportunity for mentorship, and poor (asynchronous) training.

Is it worth it IF one was given a truly free ride? Meh, possibly... But I would not expect this school experience alone to prepare any particularly stellar clinicians.

As for doctoral-level study later, it mostly depends on the program and whether it was funded. I presume schools like NCU do not "look down on" their own degrees and would graciously allow graduates the privilege of paying full tuition for a doctoral degree. But then again, what value would a non-clinical doctorate degree from this school really have?

Members don't see this ad :)
You were offered a "full-ride" scholarship by a university you are not familiar with? Can you help us better visualize how this came to be? What, exactly, do you mean when you use the term "full-ride?" Who is funding this scholarship?

I doubt you will find many fans of NCU here on this site, mostly due to its online-only delivery format.

This program MAY qualify you for licensure in the state in which you plan to practice. I imagine NCU offers the typical cattle drive experience of very large cohorts, poor student-to-professor ratios, a poor opportunity for mentorship, and poor (asynchronous) training.

Is it worth it IF one was given a truly free ride? Meh, possibly... But I would not expect this school experience alone to prepare any particularly stellar clinicians.

As for doctoral-level study later, it mostly depends on the program and whether it was funded. I presume schools like NCU do not "look down on" their own degrees and would graciously allow graduates the privilege of paying full tuition for a doctoral degree. But then again, what value would a non-clinical doctorate degree from this school really have?
By doctoral I didn't meant a doctorate from NCU, rather I meant a doctorate from another university.

By doctoral I didn't meant a doctorate from NCU, rather I meant a doctorate from another university.
The same general rule would apply. Schools like NCU (unfunded; and particularly online schools) will likely be fine with a degree from NCU. While funded programs or even the more competitive unfunded (State U, etc.) programs will not be particularly impressed.

If you're considering a clinical doctorate, then stay away from online master's programs altogether as this is generally a kiss of death on these applications. The exception to this rule is that online/for-profit (i.e., predatory) schools will still cheerfully admit prior online students into their unaccredited, unfunded clinical doctorate programs and collect $150k+ in tuition/fees.

Full disclosure, I didn’t read your post.

NCU is a well known online trash diploma mill akin to the Waldens and Capellas of the world. RUN.

Reactions: 2 users
I am interested in pursuing doctoral studies after my MSW, so I don't know if Northcentral University would be looked down upon, or prevent me from applying to PhD programs afterwards.
You definitely run the risk of your degree being seen as subpar and your candidacy be viewed as unserious or lacking in foundational training solely due to being attached to NCU and nothing to do with your actual credentials/merit.

if this was literally the only option for somebody to enter mental health, then, yea, I guess.

But it sounds like you could be competitive for traditional MSW programs which will almost certainly provide significantly better training and career prospects. If ease is the primary reason for considering NCU, I'd think long and hard about whether this path will lead you to your desired results.