Normality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Murphy Brown

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain Normality to me in small, easy-to-understand words? I've read it in the review books and online and I'm still not getting it.

Members don't see this ad.

Normality, as I know, is just the relative concentration of an ionic species in its solution. For ex, H2SO4 - the normality of H+ is 2.

Yeah its just basically based on moles of a specific ion in solution, not the whole species. H2SO4 would be 2 N for H+ and 1 N for SO4 given 1 M concentration of H2SO4

Now someone correct me if im wrong but if you have 2 M H2SO4 itd be:

4 N H+ and 2N SO4 ??

That im not rlly sure about.

doxycycline,
I would think that you are correct. It is multiplied by its # of molarity (M).

Members don't see this ad :)
Normality:

On the night before the MCAT:

When everyone is cramming, you go to the movies.

YOU are normal.

Normality.

Lol....I beg to defer Ghost dog...

if you have it in you to go for movie the night before the exam...YOU are definitely not Normal...You are superhuman...:p

Lol....I beg to defer Ghost dog...

if you have it in you to go for movie the night before the exam...YOU are definitely not Normal...You are superhuman...:p

No way. Before my MCAT I was watching predator. I wanted to watch the 300 but my HD DVD player crapped out when I tried to watch it (still haven't seen that movie to this day, still have the DVD sitting at home waiting to be played).

Watching movies = great decision. Prevents burnout.