Normal People Only!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisje

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just reading thru all the recent scores and started freaking out since I will probably be nowhere near the greatness of the rest of you geniuses out there in cyberspace. The lowest step 1 score I found was 229 - still very good by my standards.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there wiling to admit their weaknesses.

I'll go first: I have one month till step one. My Best qbank score is 80% and my worst is 30% - both were 10 question tests. I average about 60% and reading all these people's posts makes me wonder if I'll ever get where I want to be (230).

I'd appreciate anyone who wants to commiserate with me. Or offer advice to rapidly improve those qbank scores to 70%+.

PS - if you want to post your superhigh Step 1 score, please post it in another thread.

Members don't see this ad.

My name is fuegorama. I am a mediocre qbank performer.

I am the proud owner of one 76% and the chagrined but supportive parent of a~30% (can't recall through the shame). My average hovers at 60% after 26% of qbank complete.
I am 11 days out from COMLEX and 24 away from the USMLE. I am scared.

Wow! I feel so much better! These meetings are great. Is there somewhere i can put change to help out with coffee and stuff?

Count me in - this whole thing just sucks...........alright I feel a little better now - if I could cuss on here, I would feel even better.....

Since you looked around - any idea of any correlation between q-bank and board scores - what's a godd q-bank score to be getting????

thanks

Don't fret, I was scoring in the 60% range up until two days before the test...yes, I had pulled all my hair out, bitten my nails down to a nub, and even tried to put my head through my computer screen after a nice 40% three days before. But in the end, everything turned out OK (scored above your target score) and am laughing at how "worked up" (more like knocking on the front door of the mental institution) I was. Good luck and the best advice I can give is take the day before the test off and do something fun and relaxing...and don't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Morrisje-

Just to comment about your fret. Don't worry now, it's really early in the game and you have plenty of time to improve..plus, qbank is definitely not the best predictor of your ultimate score as many will atest to.

I just wanted to also put this out there. A lot of people on SDN are the same kids that you want to hit in class who ask questions right after a 3 hr lecture and everyone wants to leave. They like to hear themselves talk and better yet, they like to hear from others know how smart they are. They're the same kids that come out of every test saying its easy just to frighten other students. TRUST ME, a lot of people are in your position, don't think that SDN is representative of all USMLE takers in this country. This is a self-selecting sample group of predominately higher achieving students.

This is not to say that everyone on here that professes their great score is this way but some are. Some people are genuinely modest about their great scores and really do want to help other people. Just don't read SDN and think that you're alone in this...think about it...most people (unlike you) will not show their weakness, even in cyberspace. It's a part of the medicine culture, perceived intelligence and a superiority complex are seen throughout the profession. With that i'll keep my ramblings to a minimum. Best of luck Morrisje and to the many others who knows how he/she feels.

MDhunter said:
Don't fret, I was scoring in the 60% range up until two days before the test...yes, I had pulled all my hair out, bitten my nails down to a nub, and even tried to put my head through my computer screen after a nice 40% three days before. But in the end, everything turned out OK (scored above your target score) and am laughing at how "worked up" (more like knocking on the front door of the mental institution) I was. Good luck and the best advice I can give is take the day before the test off and do something fun and relaxing...and don't worry.

surfdevl02 said:
Morrisje-

Just to comment about your fret. Don't worry now, it's really early in the game and you have plenty of time to improve..plus, qbank is definitely not the best predictor of your ultimate score as many will atest to.

I just wanted to also put this out there. A lot of people on SDN are the same kids that you want to hit in class who ask questions right after a 3 hr lecture and everyone wants to leave. They like to hear themselves talk and better yet, they like to hear from others know how smart they are. They're the same kids that come out of every test saying its easy just to frighten other students. TRUST ME, a lot of people are in your position, don't think that SDN is representative of all USMLE takers in this country. This is a self-selecting sample group of predominately higher achieving students.

This is not to say that everyone on here that professes their great score is this way but some are. Some people are genuinely modest about their great scores and really do want to help other people. Just don't read SDN and think that you're alone in this...think about it...most people (unlike you) will not show their weakness, even in cyberspace. It's a part of the medicine culture, perceived intelligence and a superiority complex are seen throughout the profession. With that i'll keep my ramblings to a minimum. Best of luck Morrisje and to the many others who knows how he/she feels.

true, i second that-- work hard, and u can achieve your goal! Keep chuggin--keep lookin at that FA every day, we're all in it together--and if you have any q's, feel free to ask, most people on here are very helpful and will answer. Trust me, I ask some dumb q's sometimes.

yeah don't worry too much. from people i've talked to in real life, only one has gotten above 70%, and he probably destroyed this test. i know of someone who hovered around 50% and comfortably beat the mean. i'm still waiting for my results but i didn't score anywhere near 70%, let alone 80%. i used it as a study tool, not as an evaluation tool. i haven't gotten my results yet, but my qbank score at the end was barely 60%. sometimes i would do random blocks of 50 and considered anything above 64% pretty good, anything below 54% pretty crappy. but the important thing is that you learn something from every question, whether you got it right or got it wrong.

if you have passed all your second year classes and are working hard during your step1 period, you will most likely pass. so just be confident of that and study hard without worrying too much about qbank. try not to extrapolate too much during this study period. i know it's very tempting but all that energy is better spent studying than worrying and speculating.

This thread is awesome. I myself am about 3 qbank practice blocks away from throwing myself out the window of my apartment. I'm about half way done with it, and my ave is around 63. I have on occasion broken into the 70 range, but as of yet this is more of a statistical anomaly than anything else. My favorite section in qbank is the cellbio section where as of now im rocking a whopping 33%.

Also since im pretty much focusing on study materials for the USMLE i feel the COMLEX is going to come around and bit me in the behind. Especially if its as different from the usmle as everyone claims it to be. But i guess since there arnt any tried and true review materials for the comlex, i dont really have a choice anyway.

Aaaaahhhhahahahhahhahhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Q bank has become the freaking BANE of my existence. I can't break anywhere above 85% and that was at the beginning when I started using it! It's steadily been falling downhill as I progress, and now I've barely been cracking 50% w/ microbiology. Stupid bacteria!

And there's a whole 3 more weeks of this fun to be had!! I'll be lucky if I survive! :mad:

kaos said:
Q bank has become the freaking BANE of my existence. I can't break anywhere above 85% and that was at the beginning when I started using it! It's steadily been falling downhill as I progress, and now I've barely been cracking 50% w/ microbiology. Stupid bacteria!

And there's a whole 3 more weeks of this fun to be had!! I'll be lucky if I survive! :mad:

I think we have the same problem started off high, crashed and burned today on my block of 50...

Don't worry... after finishing Qbank, my score was at 59%.
I thought I was screwed.
I took it anyway.
I hit ~the mean...
Relax...

hey dudes, great thread! I was just thinking this. i also got kaplan phys qbank becuase i absolutely suck at phys and the questions are even harder than the regular qbank and i was about to go jump off of the roof. then i keep seeing 250+ on here. don't get me wrong, i appreciate the tips but the "you are studying wrong if..." gets me.
my hghest scores have been 80 micro and path and i got the same on those shelf exams in percentiles. since i have been using qbank since christmas, my overall average is 62% so ihave to look mroe at how iam doing on each test than how i have done overall. and this depends on the subject if i do a subject based test. lately i have been doing more IV qbank 50 general questions and have been getting in the upper 60s on those.
i'm going to just keep going and hope for the best.... :confused:

has anyone else had qbank say that a question was wrong but it was correct. i.e. the question you marked and the question they marked were the same? this happend to me 2x yesterday.

Happy studying!!! :luck:

I've been doing QBank in random blocks of 50 and with 17% done my average is at 58% with a high of 68% and a low of 52%. I'm somewhat discouraged by this but I've got lots of reading to do still and I'm sure my scores will go up. I've talked to classmates who are doing questions over the subjects they just studied and not doing much better, so I feel a bit better. I'd like to get my average up to 65% and I think I'll be in decent shape to reach my goal of 235.

Nailed a 76% last night, slept pretty easy. Decided to press my luck this morning...and bam...62%. Now im freaking out again. I swear god likes to watch me squirm.

I have a theory I do better on the qbank after a day of studying than right away in the morning. If thats the case I’m screwed because the COMLEX and USMLE aren’t given after dinner. Damn.

Members don't see this ad :)
viper said:
Count me in - this whole thing just sucks...........alright I feel a little better now - if I could cuss on here, I would feel even better.....

Since you looked around - any idea of any correlation between q-bank and board scores - what's a godd q-bank score to be getting????

thanks

According to Kaplan:

<55% high risk of failure
<60% carries some risk of failure
60-65% probable pass with low score
65-70% may beat mean
>70% probably 230+

That's straight from Kaplan experts on a kaplan message board. Those are averages from "previously unseen questions taken in 50 question blocks under test-like conditions." Hope that helps and doesn't cause anxiety for anyone.

I am soo normal its depressing. I hear ya about hearing all these amazing scores its falsly getting my hopes up and makes me think i should be getting like a 250 when in fact ill probably be lucky to get a 210. I have always studied harder than anyone and then never done great on tests. OH well so i will be proud and happy to post my average joe score on sdn after 2 years of studyign my asssss off! dont worry power to the normal people!

morrisje said:
According to Kaplan:

65-70% may beat mean
>70% probably 230+

That's straight from Kaplan experts on a kaplan message board. Those are averages from "previously unseen questions taken in 50 question blocks under test-like conditions." Hope that helps and doesn't cause anxiety for anyone.

Thanks for pushing that button! :eek: "beat the mean" at 70?

That's a lot of ground to cover in 10 percentage points.

Any chance you could post a link?

fuegorama said:
Thanks for pushing that button! :eek: "beat the mean" at 70?

That's a lot of ground to cover in 10 percentage points.

Any chance you could post a link?

Sure, here's the link. You might have to log into qbank first to see the page. Or you can log into "MyKaplan" and at the bottom of the page there will be a link to "Not much time. Need help now" - join this conversation. anyway, the link:

http://kaptest.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=306

Hope this helps.

;)
morrisje said:
According to Kaplan:

65-70% may beat mean
>70% probably 230+

Damn the Kaplan experts. Bastard didn't even discuss how I can get a 290. ;)

So i took the nbme form B today and got a 490. Thats about a 216 which is sooooo normal.

So normal infact it makes me want to use my normal legs, to jump out my normal window of my normal appartment and land on my normal face.

I have 2 weeks left to study, but unfortunatly i think my brain is full and theres not room for anything else. I'm hoping to shoot for anywhere above 220 on the real thing. If i dont i might die. Man, I wish we could swear in these forums, that would make me feel better. Normal people like to use curse words.

Took a 50 question qbank. Got 68%. Very normal. Sad that it actually helped raise my average. :thumbdown:

I'm always amazed by people on this forum who say they memorized first aid, or know cold. Everytime look at FA there seems to be yet another factoid that I didn't learn (even though I've gone threw it twice). There seems to be just so much info in this book.

Long Dong said:
I'm always amazed by people on this forum who say they memorized first aid, or know cold. Everytime look at FA there seems to be yet another factoid that I didn't learn (even though I've gone threw it twice). There seems to be just so much info in this book.

The thing about FA is that every single little snippet of a word is high yield. You look at another book that explains something and then go back to FA and see that the info is there but you just glazed over it the last time. I think q-bank w/ FA helps though because the questions highlight those little facts you would have missed otherwise.

I could go through FA 15x and still not catch everything.

The thing about first aid is you just can't pick it up, read it and retain the information for more than a couple of days. In the case of pharm, maybe half a day. I am primarily using it as a review a week before the test. To each his own I guess.

Here's a normal person thought for all you normals out there:

"People of mediocre ability sometimes achieve outstanding success because they don't know when to quit. Most men succeed because they are determined to." - George Herbert Allen

Just thought I'd throw that out for anyone out there who, like me, has mediocre ability. Just keep chugging away. We'll get there.

morrisje said:
Aaaaarrrrrrggghhhh...

52% :eek:

When will the torture end?!
making you feel better---Gross Anat. = 29%
after taking 2+ days to "study" = 45%
movin' on up...watch out 50%!!! here i come!
streetdoc
i love this thread

streetdoc said:
streetdoc
i love this thread

just took a test and was feeling really good about it throughout...i believe my exact thought was "wow this is going to be a fluke high score...i'm going to celebrate with a huge bowl of ice cream!" Hit end test button ---> 62. damn. I think i'll still have that ice cream...

I guess I'm one of the normal ones-scoring all over the place in qbank, but nothing over 75. Lots of 50's. I learn something only to forget it 3 days later. Just hoping that all will be well.

DOES ANYONE KNOW how many questions we have to get correct to score a 230 or 240 or whatever on the real thing? Does that mean that we get 230 questions correct? or is it some sort of percentage.

streetdoc said:
streetdoc
i love this thread

okay phys- started out at 35% :eek: moved on up to 60%!

I don't like that score but it's a heck of alot better than 35%! celebrate the small victories... :confused:

I think the scary thing is that I keep forgetting all the anatomy I learned back when I started studying. Don't even talk about pharm!

megsMS said:
God, I love you people. You make me feel so much better.

hey my fellow sub-260ers!
i wanted to add that i took form A last night and was quite surprised... not by my score, but that the subjects that i have struggled with on qbank-anatomy-endocrine-renal.
i scored in the 40% + qbank range after 50% complete, but on the form A my anatomy was well above "borderline" and my endo just got a * (i guessed B a lot) meaning Awesome.
so, forget qbank, it's too depressing. chins up!
streetdoc
staying at the mean!

Hey peoples I just wanted to throw my story into the frey:

I consider myself to be a very "blue collar" student, nose to the grindstone, study hard and to exhaustion but demanding rest when sanity is at risk (i.e. not gunner by any stretch of the imagination and especially since gunners are smart- lol). Sub-3.0 GPA, etc.

I know I'm not the sharpest and my brain doesn't retain nearly as much as what it seems like everyone else's does but I was/am determined (more now that ever before in my entire life). I had a very ugly MCAT experience and standardized tests are the bain of my existence. I need to pass my boards at all costs (I know many of you feel this way too)... so I devised an "all-costs" plan:

The day after classes were done Mid-May-ish I drove 6 hrs to a "certain city", got there at 11pm with the ink still wet on my ACLS card I just got that day, got up the next morning and studied every weekday from 8am (sharp) until 3-6pm. No laptop, no toys, just me and my books in the library, I knew I had to stay focused or else there was no way I'd be prepared for the USMLE and the COMLEX, I'm just too mediocre and too unskilled at standardized tests.

Because I'm not totally insane I took the weekends off for the most part over the next 16 days of studying, which worked out well.

Our school bought us the kaplan books and my plan was to stress them first and then toward the end fill in the gaps with FA. I targeted my weakest areas like Biochem (omg so bad- and genetics- ugh), Micro and Pharm. I did some anatomy and some physio (just endocrine and renal cause those are 10,000% most important) but for the most part made it through cover to cover, studying (not skimming), those books. I went to FA after the Kaplan book and was not impressed, the information provided there is too first tier, and I felt like it really wasn't going to help me answer the 3 step questions. Pathophys for boards and wards is priceless. Pharm cards and lippincott pharm are fantastic too.

Here's what I learned: FA is crap but FA is a must. FA is crap because it's basically a fact book, not (come on lets be honest) a book of really tiered understanding of concepts. FA Is a must because, well, everyone studies from it and like it or not they cloak you with that bell curve just like everoyne else. Also the USMLE is not all 3-step questions, there was definitely a damn big share of one or two sentence questions about which amino acid is this or which enzyme is that.

I thought Qbank questions were right on if not a little harder (in some aspects) that the actual test. THE MOST VALUABLE PART OF THE QBANK IS NOT THE % SCORE.

*******if you only read one part of this post read this********
IMHO- if you are doing qbank only to see where you stand you're misusing it- STOP. IMO the TRUE value of the QBANK is 2 things: 1.) tell you what subject areas you are WEAK in (eat your ego, bite the bullet and go after these areas HARD) and what you are strong in (save your time-skim) and 2.) ENDURANCE- there are many reasons why not to do 5-15 questions at a time but the biggest one is you're not giving yourself a good sample size to guage from AND more importantly you're not building up any kind of endurance. This test is just as much endurance as it is knowledge. Building up to the USMLE I did two major things to prepare myself for the day and I can say 100% that by the time I was doing my 300th question I was maybe 10% down stamina wise from where I started and I didn't realize it until I walked out the Prometric door. I was/am very pleased.

Study during the day at the same time you'll be taking the exam (i.e. 8am-4pm) AND whenever you do questions do them 50 at a time, that way when you click that OPEN BLOCK button on exam day you won't be like- UGH another 50. I studied until 3 or 4 each day then ended my long study days with one block of 50 questions- while I was at my tired-est to make sure my brain didn't tank toward the end and do the classic "just click buttons to get it over with". As I said in the beginning, I am far from smart or skilled at test taking and I needed to get all of my points possible at all costs.

Sounds scary, may sound gunnierish but I'm just like many of you here, I would scour the forums here hoping for some glimpse of light, hope, something because my qbank was bringing me down and my confidence was never my defining trait. If/when I get my scores they're at least acceptable I'll post a screen shot I took of my USMLE Qbank final results as of March and my COMLEX final results as of June. The numbers are not impressive I can assure you.

And finally, many of you are probably thinking- man he's not a normal struggler like us, well all I can say to you is my qbank numbers probably dictated that I was a good chance of failure but after following the study schedule and techniques I set out above, if I still failed (or barely passed) even after all of that, I can say I did the very most possible I could do and really that should be your primary goal: no regrets. I'd rather fail because I studied incorrectly than fail because I didn't put in the effort or time. I think thats the most important lesson from this entire post for people like me (us).

Good luck everyone, keep ur fingers crossed for me...

Since I took the USMLE just yesterday I can't tell you "I was scoring XX% and I got XXX on the exam". Another problem is I did USMLE qbank from Janurary through March then COMLEX bank between March and now, so the USMLE qbank scores I post would be skewed since I took most of them not even having all the systems under my belt. I'll be here for questions and updates...

...if I still failed (or barely passed) even after all of that, I can say I did the very most possible I could do and really that should be your primary goal: no regrets. I'd rather fail because I studied incorrectly than fail because I didn't put in the effort or time. I think thats the most important lesson from this entire post for people like me (us).

This is the exact motto i adopted about 3 days ago, and ill tell you what it takes alot of the pressure off. I highly recomend it. I was stressing myself out so bad i couldnt even see straight, and thats not good when you have 200 pages of pharm to read over then next 2 days. Its to the point where i know im not going to get a super high score, i think ill pass but not sure by how much because these tests are so hard to gauge. Im ready to just let fate deal with it, if i try my hardest (which i think i am) and i do less than great, then it was meant to be. Like you said, no regrets.

I agree with you guys on Qbank...I am starting also to use it as a "what to study more" and "how to reason" than how well I will do. My scores are varied all over the place avg: 60% +/- 13 (yeah I was trying to avoid studying one night). According to most of the people on this forum and Kaplan that could statistically means that there is a chance that I could just bomb it or that I crush the exam. Just yesterday I got a 40% ( +pissed+ ) that made me feel like throwing myself or something significantly heavy out of the window and then today I get a 76%....these scores are making me go bipolar :scared: . The only pattern I do notice is that once my stamina/interest goes down...it's down the gutter.

classic example (I forgot to add this) of why I made a pact with myself to NOT DO ANY QUESTIONS TWO DAYS PRIOR to the exam. Three days before the exam MAYBE but thats all it takes is one bad score a day or two before the exam to send u off the deep end no mater how many 1000's of hours you put in can destroy you...

be careful, qbank is meant to help (and usually does) but like anything else every rose has it's thorns ;)

the score correlation everyone talks about is not on every 10, 20 or 50 question block you do...
After finishing Qbank, the average you get, if you add the 15-20 points, this is indicative of your PROBABLE score on the real thing. By score, i mean 2 digit score.
Of course if you redo questions you got wrong, I guess it throws it out the window.
So Moral of the Story?
Just use it for building stamina and figuring out what topics you need to work on. :thumbup:

H0mersimps0n said:
classic example (I forgot to add this) of why I made a pact with myself to NOT DO ANY QUESTIONS TWO DAYS PRIOR to the exam. Three days before the exam MAYBE but thats all it takes is one bad score a day or two before the exam to send u off the deep end no mater how many 1000's of hours you put in can destroy you...

be careful, qbank is meant to help (and usually does) but like anything else every rose has it's thorns ;)

That is the best advice ive read...that is what i am going to do i am taking the test on thursday..i am goign to stop doing questions on sunday, monday and tuesday ill read 1st AID, then wednesday i am going to take the day off....thursday, big day ... 250 more qbank questions

I can beat you all!!!!!!!

I've been doing a block of 50 random each night. Now granted I haven't gotten to studying anat, embryo, micro, or biochem yet (I've still got 3 weeks)...but I have put decent time into the big Ps (Path, Phy, Pharm).

I haven't gotten higher than 56%.

I just got a 36%....and its not like these blocks of 50 are heavy in the topics I haven't studied yet.

Point: 'm not sweating it though...and you 60% geniuses shouldn't be either. Qbank, like Robbins Path Question book, is about reading the explanations to hone your reasoning, not gauging your progress.

Unless, of course, you study ALL your path, and then do blocks and blocks of path only questions....then study ALL your pharm, and then do blocks and blocks of pharm...etc. If only we had that much time!

Seriously considering putting it off another week... :(

got a whopping 40% today, so i should sleep really well tonight. :mad:

Thank you for this post! It's good to know that I'm not alone in scoring below. . .way below the SDN average of 80% +

jac7t said:
Thank you for this post! It's good to know that I'm not alone in scoring below. . .way below the SDN average of 80% +

It's hard not to get caught up with all the "gunners" on this board. No worries, mon!

So, it's sunny and 85 degrees outside, my wife and kids went swimming and I am sitting here fuming over my most recent qbank performance and I caught myself thinking about putting in earplugs to tune out the birds outside my window so I could study!

This test is seriously driving me crazy. I'm going outside right now and sitting in the sun and listening to the birds sing. See y'all.

(On second thought, maybe I'll bring my Pharm cards with me...)