Norepinephrine vs. Epinephrine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorpusCallosum

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but I figured this would be a good place to ask this question. What are the differences between Norepinephrine and Epinephrine??? If someone can take the time and tell me both the differences as a hormone and neurotransmitter, then thank you. While I know that Norepinephrine is one of the common monoamine neurotransmitters and I am familiar with its basic function, but I never hear much about epinephrine's use in neurotransmission. As hormones they both stimulate sympathetic actions and do the same thing, right? I am honestly lost and I am sure this is elementary for most, so I would appreciate your time, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

NE acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, and beta-1 recpetors...works to raise the heart rate and modulate blood pressure
E acts on alpha-1, alpha-2, beta-1, AND beta-2..effective anti-histamine and treatment for shock

if you learn where these receptors are located and what G protein is associated with them , you should be able to figure out all of their actions..like llogg posted, just pick up a clinical pharm book and open to the ANS chapter.