nope

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted986199

deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If someone scores around that and they get into internal medicine residency is it at all even remotely possible for them to get into cardiology to become a invasive/non-invasive cardiologist?

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone scores around that and they get into internal medicine residency is it at all even remotely possible for them to get into cardiology to become a invasive/non-invasive cardiologist?

Yes. Residency is the first gate. Get into IM, do as well as you possibly can in residency, do solid research, and you can likely match somewhere provided you check all the boxes and excel at the most recent level (residency). Improvement on step 2 would also be good to have.

Interventional is competitive, but as far as I am aware you can become credentialed (at least in semi-rural areas I've worked) without necessarily doing an interventional fellowship, provided you do additional training. Probably provided by vendors and/or institutes like Johnson & Johnson, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, would you be able to comment on your GPA? I know you said you a top 50% student, but I want to score similarly on Step and knowing GPA may help put things into perspective.

Hi, would you be able to comment on your GPA? I know you said you a top 50% student, but I want to score similarly on Step and knowing GPA may help put things into perspective.

Don't worry about gpa/class rank too much. For most areas in medicine, it doesn't even break the top 5 most important factors for matching according to the program directors survey.

Source: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NRMP-2018-Program-Director-Survey-for-WWW.pdf

Reactions: 3 users
Don't worry about gpa/class rank too much. For most areas in medicine, it doesn't even break the top 5 most important factors for matching according to the program directors survey.

Source: https://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/NRMP-2018-Program-Director-Survey-for-WWW.pdf

Yeah you're right, but the thing I'm worried about is that I'm using it as an indicator for board preparation. So basically if I'm able to get good grades then I guess I could correlate that to doing well on boards. For instance, if getting from a B to A on an exam called for me pulling a semi-all nighter (2-3 hours sleep) then that's something I would do and it literally serves no purpose because PD's don't care about GPA. It's only for my own personal satisfaction.

Additionally, I want to ditch my schools curriculum and switch to B&B, Anki, and Pathoma. But I'm not sure how to make the transition. The school I got to has exams almost 2x a week.