noob question - What is SMP/SMDEP/SMTP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtse106

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...this is probably a really noobish question but I see these terms being thrown around alot and I'm not entirely sure what they are. Can someone define them and give me a brief synopsis on what it/they are? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

SMP:

Symmetric MultiProcessing
Symbolic Manipulation Program
Stable Marriage Problem
Supplementary Multilingual Plane
Shape Memory Polymers
Simple Metadata Profile
Smart Messaging Platform
Simulation Model Portability
Service Management Professional
System Marginal Price
Skim Milk Powder
Sarah Michelle Prinze
Shanghai Municipal Police
Software Management Professional
Skiers Must Perish
Single Member Plurality
Significant Market Power
School Mathematics Project
Sekolah Menegah Pertama
Sounds of Mass Production
St Mary's College of Maryland
Serratus Mountain Products
San Martin de Porres
Senior Medicare Patrol
Simple Minded People
Smoke More Pot

Hi guys...this is probably a really noobish question but I see these terms being thrown around alot and I'm not entirely sure what they are. Can someone define them and give me a brief synopsis on what it/they are? Thanks!

SMP- Special Masters Program
SMDEP- Summer Medical and Dental Education Program
SMTP- ?

When in doubt use google. I could never understand how ppl are so hesitant in looking things up.

Members don't see this ad :)
SMTP: scientist medical training program- i think it refers to the MD/PhD programs but yeah people are SARCASTIC gosh lol, help the kid out:)

SMTP: scientist medical training program- i think it refers to the MD/PhD programs but yeah people are SARCASTIC gosh lol, help the kid out:)

I think it specifically refers to the MD/PhD programs where you get PAID :D i.e. med school is free and PhD comes with stipend; there's a very limited number of these and they're funded by the national government.

So SMP is a Special Masters Program. What makes it Special? What does that mean?

So SMP is a Special Masters Program. What makes it Special? What does that mean?
it's a 1 year program that basically is the first year of medical school. you don't do a thesis (that I know of) and at the end you get a MS in physiology or something useless.

the entire point of the SMP is to prove to medical schools that you can handle the curriculum of medical school, and success in a SMP usually means success in med school admissions.