This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ucfknight7

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you guys could give some solid advice for my personal situation I'd appreciate so much. I'm a senior and I was planning on applying to dental school this upcoming cycle, but I am stuck on whether or not that is the best route for me. I have a low GPA that should be around 3.2, which is mainly from not being focused at all my freshman and sophomore year. My junior is when I realized I needed to stop being a degenerate and straighten my life up, which I wish came sooner, but there's no point in dwelling on that... I have a pretty good upward trend for the last 2 years, but I'm afraid that it is not competent enough for dental school. I was thinking of getting a master's degree at Barry University starting Fall 2017 as a back up plan, so I wouldn't be sitting around doing nothing and complete the master's degree as soon as possible and reapply if I had to do so. My question is would it be worth applying this cycle (since I'd have to take the DAT and spend quite a bit of money to apply to numerous schools b/c of the low GPA) and have that chance of not getting in or should I just not apply this cycle and go get my master's (which I am confident I will succeed in) and then apply afterwards. Or should I apply this cycle and hope for the best? The only issue with this route is that from my lack of planning throughout my undergrad years, I have to jam pack some pre-reqs and other classes during this spring/summer in order to graduate this summer, which means I wouldn't have a lot of time to study for the DAT which I plan to take during the summer... and I understand that a low GPA means you need to compensate that with a high DAT score, so I'm just trying to be realistic and debate whether or not I should apply this cycle or just hold off because I'm really optimistic about my chances after I complete my masters. Also, even if I apply this cycle a lot of schools will look right past me because of my GPA, which I would have a chance of getting into if I do well in my master's program. As you can tell, I'm really confused on the best track of getting into to dental school and any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Shoot for a high (22-23) DAT score and see where you land. That coupled with. ~3.2 could do you in if you apply broadly.

Man, that's going to be really hard with taking classes this spring/summer, but I'm going to go for it. Do you recommend not applying if I don't get at least a 22 then?

Members don't see this ad :)
3.2 with a 21+ and you have a decent shot. Obviously your EC's and other components of your application play a role as well.

Applying In December? No way. Especially if you have nothing done. AADSAS has to recieve your transcripts, verify your grades. then you also have to fit in taking the DAT. Your application wont be complete till January at the earliest if you start TODAY.

Combine that with a low gpa and its throwing money in the toilet.

Start working for next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Applying In December? No way. Especially if you have nothing done. AADSAS has to recieve your transcripts, verify your grades. then you also have to fit in taking the DAT. Your application wont be complete till January at the earliest if you start TODAY.

Combine that with a low gpa and its throwing money in the toilet.

Start working for next cycle.
I'm planning on apply summer 2017, not this December man.

As someone who applied a year after my senior year, my advice would be to wait until you have the absolute best resume you think you can get. I would imagine that doing well on a master's would improve your resume. Since nobody giving you advice on this site actually belongs to an admissions committee, there is no way for anyone to tell you that if you do that you for sure would get in, or that you for sure wouldn't get in if you didn't. The reason I would say to wait is that the entire application process is both financially and emotionally draining. Put your absolute best foot forward. Your first application should be your best. Taking that extra year not only to potentially boost your gpa, but also to improve EC's, shadowing, etc. would be well worth it to get an acceptance from the school you want. Ultimately, this journey should be a marathon, not a sprint. The only thing that matters is that you get in, not when.

SDN users have a tendency to try to couple your GPA and DAT and think they can predict whether or not you will get in or won't. There is a lot more that goes into admittance than people here would try to have you think. I know plenty of people who have gotten in with both a low GPA and a low DAT, as well as people with high GPA and high DAT who have been rejected. The application cycle is not nearly as predictable as many users here would have you think. The best thing you can do is make sure you have the absolute best resume you can when you apply the first time.

Last edited: