Nontrad considering options...Psych NP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MustIReallyThough

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Considering where to go from here with a bachelor's in psych. Please bear with me as I explain my rather odd circumstances...

I've always wanted to be a therapist, not a doctor, and gunned for a masters in counseling. However, some realities I've encountered through research is that therapy at the masters level is probably not a good fit for me for a variety of reasons. I think the most salient is that I'm interested and passionate about the care of folks with more serious illness that seems to be more within the scope of practice of psychologists and psychiatrists.

I feel like I'd be very content as a psychologist, but fear this path has been closed to me. I started college pretty late in life and now have no research experience at 28. I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect to do a very intensive and competitive PhD at this point in my life. Not to mention the typical woes that come with academia and a primarily clinical (not research) interest.

I've landed at the feet of healthcare. A RN would be more feasible right now than a research masters in psych (needed if I wanted to get into a good PhD program) as it guarantees a steady job. I'm also incredibly excited at the prospect of nursing school. I love the idea of challenging material related to patient care. And eventually hands on (though very challenging) work in a psych ward taking care of psychotic patients.

After that I'm then free to pursue whatever other path I'd like in mental health. I think a perfect end goal is a pairing of a PMHNP degree and a psychology/counseling degree. It allows practice freedom, the ability to pursue mastery in psychotherapy, and fills a much needed niche currently in healthcare (I'd love to practice rurally.).

I guess my question is, does this logic make sense? What am I missing? Would it be better to just try and solely ride the PhD or MD wave?

I've thought long and hard recently about a MD. I have no idea if it's worth it considering my interest in psychology, therapy, and patient care...

Members don't see this ad.