Non-US IMG basic advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliforniaDream2026

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Take the USMLE and do well, not just pass. You will often need USMLE exams for VSAS clerkships, so plan ahead.

Agree with US rotations in your final year. You'll want to clarify what field you're interested in and focus your rotations on that. Try to get as many as you can, and as high quality / reputable as you can.

You do not need to wait until after you graduate, you can apply your last year if your school gives you flexibility to interview.

Make sure your school is listed in the WFME database and hence you qualify for ECFMG certification.

Surgery will be much more difficult but not impossible. Much easier in IM.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I'm a first-year student at a medical school in Belgium. Before this, I did my bachelor's and master's in the US and came back to Europe to work for a few years before enrolling in medical school. I'm now 28. I loved my time in the US and dream of doing my residency in CA (😍), NY, MA or WA. It's a bit too early to say which field I'll want to go into, perhaps IM, Peds or General Surgery.

What should I be doing now to have the best chances of matching? My current plan is to:
*Start looking at US textbooks to be comfortable with the vocabulary
*Do some research at my university (I can do 4 years from next year)
*Take the USMLE exams and apply for clerkships in the US in years 5-6.

Any other suggestions?

How can I increase my chances of getting accepted for US clerkships in my last year?
What do IMGs typically do the year that they are applying and interviewing, since we can't apply before graduating?

Thanks a lot!
Probably would have been shorter route to do med school in US, no? 4 yrs vs 6 yrs, unless you're in a graduate program like in the UK?

During my residency, we had German med students doing clerkship with us and also working in labs for their MD dissertation. I guess, see if your school has affiliation with US schools, find out if any students there are thinking about coming to US or better yet, people from your school who matched in the US and see what their experience were like.

Some US residencies have positions reserved for foreigners who have funding from their government to pay their US salary, see if your government has such a program. Anyway, good luck in school...you may find staying Europe better than coming over