non-US citizen who's studying in Philippines...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jskim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
is there anyone who's studying in PI med non-US citizen, thus he/she needs to get VISA for regidency?

i plan to go to US after PI Med but I'm not US citizen.

Members don't see this ad.

is there anyone who's studying in PI med non-US citizen, thus he/she needs to get VISA for regidency?

i plan to go to US after PI Med but I'm not US citizen.

Yes, you do need a VISA for a residency as well as take all the US board exams. Landing a residency now in the US is not as easy as it used to be. With the increased enrollment at US medical schools along with the passing of a new health care bill this you puts you (FMG) at a disadvantage. You have to do really well on your board exams and still this does not guarantee that you'll be able to land a residency of your choice.

To get a residency you will have to enter the match which will pit you against other medical students and you will have choices at which residencies you want. There's a high chance you won't get your first choice or second choice for that matter. This past match, less than 40% foreign medical grads were able to even get a residency. After the match, there is a scramble where you and others who did not get a residency yet will try and fill up those slots that are left.

You may be able to get lucky and pre-match meaning landing a residency before the match as a certain hospital is willing to make you an offer. The bottom line...make sure you really look into to it and the timeline of when you want to do your residency. There's a chance that you might get delayed if you don't match.

Before it was a little easier as most foreign grads were able to fill up the slots that were left over from the US grads but right now that is changing and fewer residency slots are left for foreign grads. Right now we just don't know what the future might bring in this regard. Hope you find a way, good luck!!!

thank you very much.
as non-US, it might be more difficult than US IMG.
if only 40% get residency out of all IMG, most will be on people who don need VISA to work.

Just school(outside of USA) promoter told me it's easy to get VISA (J1 or H1) for a doctor in US, I almost believed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you do need a VISA for a residency as well as take all the US board exams. Landing a residency now in the US is not as easy as it used to be. With the increased enrollment at US medical schools along with the passing of a new health care bill this you puts you (FMG) at a disadvantage. You have to do really well on your board exams and still this does not guarantee that you'll be able to land a residency of your choice.

To get a residency you will have to enter the match which will pit you against other medical students and you will have choices at which residencies you want. There's a high chance you won't get your first choice or second choice for that matter. This past match, less than 40% foreign medical grads were able to even get a residency. After the match, there is a scramble where you and others who did not get a residency yet will try and fill up those slots that are left.

You may be able to get lucky and pre-match meaning landing a residency before the match as a certain hospital is willing to make you an offer. The bottom line...make sure you really look into to it and the timeline of when you want to do your residency. There's a chance that you might get delayed if you don't match.

Before it was a little easier as most foreign grads were able to fill up the slots that were left over from the US grads but right now that is changing and fewer residency slots are left for foreign grads. Right now we just don't know what the future might bring in this regard. Hope you find a way, good luck!!!

how about if i have a permanent resident card/green card holder do I still need a Visa? tnx tnx!