This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoranon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To spare you the vague cliches of why I'm choosing to go into medicine at 24 years old, I'll just simply ask for some advice.

Long story short: I'm attending college online (yes, from a great, regionally accredited university) and I know prerequisites being done online is a no-no for a lot of colleges. This being the case, can I finish my undergraduate degree online, take all my prerequisites at a community college, then get into a good med school? More so, can I get into a good med school?

To those who are curious, I'm getting concurrent degrees (two separate diplomas achieved simultaneously) in biology and psychology. I currently have a 4.0. I'm also attending a local tech school to switch careers to the medical field as a surgical technician. I also have a 4.0 here. This is while working 50 hours a week at a job that's an hour trip from my home one way. I'm very determined, so the whole idea of me doing an online degree and getting my prereqs done at a local CC simply isn't the case. I'm just curious to know if this plan is feasible, and if so, will it get me into some decent med schools?

Hypothetical stats when I apply:

~ 3.8 GPA
~ 4.0 sGPA (it's community college, right?)
Bachelor of Science in Psychology & Bachelor of Science in Biological Studies
~ 70th+ percentile on MCAT
3 strong LOR's - I'm going to bust my ass off as a surgical tech
~ 200 volunteer hours
0 research hours - playing this one safe, as I might not find opportunities, but I'll take ANYTHING

So... Opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

An online undergrad degree in a non-science field (from an accredited university) is OK. Taking all your prereqs at a CC is something you should reconsider. It’s one thing to do a class or two, but I would encourage you to take your ochem and biochem courses at a university.

I don’t know anything about surgery tech school, but you may want to confirm that grades earned there can be used in your overall and science GPA. Odds are that if it’s a trade/tech school this won’t happen.

Also, you’ll likely need an LOR from one or two science professors as well as non-science professor. I’m not sure if/how surgery tech school factors into this. That’s something others may be able to comment on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3.8/4.0 and 507 from CC with some volunteer hours and significant clinical work (I'm assuming 6+ months of full time work) without any research. I feel like there are still many missing pieces to the story but assuming there is a thread that leads to clinical medicine I could imagine some bites at some of the lower tier MD schools and many DO schools. If you spent a year working, found some volunteer or research opportunities, and otherwise bolstered your app I'd imagine it would go even better. Starting medical school at 26-27 is normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
An online undergrad degree in a non-science field (from an accredited university) is OK. Taking all your prereqs at a CC is something you should reconsider. It’s one thing to do a class or two, but I would encourage you to take your ochem and biochem courses at a university.

I don’t know anything about surgery tech school, but you may want to confirm that grades earned there can be used in your overall and science GPA. Odds are that if it’s a trade/tech school this won’t happen.

Also, you’ll likely need an LOR from one or two science professors as well as non-science professor. I’m not sure if/how surgery tech school factors into this. That’s something others may be able to comment on.

We have a really good community college and a decent university in my city. A lot of people use the community college to get into the best universities in the state, but I'm sure that's not really relevant to a med school admissions representative. Ultimately, I wanted to go to the community college because it's less money and the class sizes are a lot smaller. Plus, it's closer to home and they have ALL the prerequisites I need. The university has about 80% of them. So, you think I should do as many as possible from the university, then the missing ones from the community college?

3.8/4.0 and 507 from CC with some volunteer hours and significant clinical work (I'm assuming 6+ months of full time work) without any research. I feel like there are still many missing pieces to the story but assuming there is a thread that leads to clinical medicine I could imagine some bites at some of the lower tier MD schools and many DO schools. If you spent a year working, found some volunteer or research opportunities, and otherwise bolstered your app I'd imagine it would go even better. Starting medical school at 26-27 is normal.

I'm in a unique situation. I currently have a good job in a completely unrelated field, but I'm planning to hoard away money while working to become a certified surgical technician. By the time I'm certified, I'll have roughly 1 - 1.5 years left of my undergrad to do, so I'll keep knocking that out while I switch careers to work as a surgical tech. I'll get a good year's worth of experience, so about 2,000 hours clinical experience minimum. Planning to volunteer a hefty amount. Research is going to be the hard part for me. I was planning to go to a local community college to fulfill missing prerequisites after my undergrad, but all the research opportunities (if any) are probably going to be at the universities. I also started a company that donates children's books and gives away scholarships - may look good on an application? If not, I've always wanted to do that regardless. I'm going to prepare like crazy for the MCAT and hopefully get at least in the 70th percentile minimum. Probably spend a good 6 months preparing. I'm naturally really good at tests anyways. Lower tier MD schools as in what exactly? Something like Tulane? I'd like to get into a place like Emory, if possible. DO schools are definitely an option as well. Personally, I like the DO model better. I'd like to avoid prescribing patients medicine unless it's the only option.

I'm in a unique situation. I currently have a good job in a completely unrelated field, but I'm planning to hoard away money while working to become a certified surgical technician. By the time I'm certified, I'll have roughly 1 - 1.5 years left of my undergrad to do, so I'll keep knocking that out while I switch careers to work as a surgical tech. I'll get a good year's worth of experience, so about 2,000 hours clinical experience minimum. Planning to volunteer a hefty amount. Research is going to be the hard part for me. I was planning to go to a local community college to fulfill missing prerequisites after my undergrad, but all the research opportunities (if any) are probably going to be at the universities. I also started a company that donates children's books and gives away scholarships - may look good on an application? If not, I've always wanted to do that regardless. I'm going to prepare like crazy for the MCAT and hopefully get at least in the 70th percentile minimum. Probably spend a good 6 months preparing. I'm naturally really good at tests anyways. Lower tier MD schools as in what exactly? Something like Tulane? I'd like to get into a place like Emory, if possible. DO schools are definitely an option as well. Personally, I like the DO model better. I'd like to avoid prescribing patients medicine unless it's the only option.

So you're a guy that will be looked at beyond just your numbers/scores which is a positive given all that you've accomplished so far. I guess I'd just ask why, if you're setting yourself up perfectly on all these other fronts, you wouldn't treat these prereq's the same way. Taking them at the university will be more expensive but could open doors for you at institutions that otherwise would be inaccessible. There is also the option of a "post-bacc" possibility to take the lab course prerequisites a la carte at several different universities across the country. As someone who has been on my school's AdCom, there would be a longer look if they were done at a university to go along with1000 clinical hours than have 2000 clinical hours and these courses at a CC.

When I talk of "lower" tier MD schools I mostly refer to the newer schools, Rosy Franklin, Albany, ones with lower average MCATs and GPAs per the MSAR. Tulane, like you mentioned, has an average matriculant MCAT in the 83rd %ile. Emory's is closer to 90th. Your history of service and accomplishments make achieving that specific score less of a 'requirement', but that will only go so far.

To spare you the vague cliches of why I'm choosing to go into medicine at 24 years old, I'll just simply ask for some advice.

Long story short: I'm attending college online (yes, from a great, regionally accredited university) and I know prerequisites being done online is a no-no for a lot of colleges. This being the case, can I finish my undergraduate degree online, take all my prerequisites at a community college, then get into a good med school? More so, can I get into a good med school?

To those who are curious, I'm getting concurrent degrees (two separate diplomas achieved simultaneously) in biology and psychology. I currently have a 4.0. I'm also attending a local tech school to switch careers to the medical field as a surgical technician. I also have a 4.0 here. This is while working 50 hours a week at a job that's an hour trip from my home one way. I'm very determined, so the whole idea of me doing an online degree and getting my prereqs done at a local CC simply isn't the case. I'm just curious to know if this plan is feasible, and if so, will it get me into some decent med schools?

Hypothetical stats when I apply:

~ 3.8 GPA
~ 4.0 sGPA (it's community college, right?)
Bachelor of Science in Psychology & Bachelor of Science in Biological Studies
~ 70th+ percentile on MCAT
3 strong LOR's - I'm going to bust my ass off as a surgical tech
~ 200 volunteer hours
0 research hours - playing this one safe, as I might not find opportunities, but I'll take ANYTHING

So... Opinions?
I took 90 - 95% of my med school prereq at CC (first 2 years of my undergraduate education) prior to transferring and i got into multiple schools just fine so i don't think thats an issue! Now, many schools require upper div course works such as Upper div bio and others so you should pick your school carefully. The main reasons why many recommend you to take a few courses at 4-year level is because ADCOM likes to see your ability to handle more rigorous course work even if it is not required for admission (biochem sometime isn't required). A lot of my friends did DIY postbac at community college but they did go to a 4-year before that.

We have a really good community college and a decent university in my city. A lot of people use the community college to get into the best universities in the state, but I'm sure that's not really relevant to a med school admissions representative. Ultimately, I wanted to go to the community college because it's less money and the class sizes are a lot smaller. Plus, it's closer to home and they have ALL the prerequisites I need. The university has about 80% of them. So, you think I should do as many as possible from the university, then the missing ones from the community college?

Wait, you don’t enjoy classes with 200+ ppl?

So you're a guy that will be looked at beyond just your numbers/scores which is a positive given all that you've accomplished so far. I guess I'd just ask why, if you're setting yourself up perfectly on all these other fronts, you wouldn't treat these prereq's the same way. Taking them at the university will be more expensive but could open doors for you at institutions that otherwise would be inaccessible. There is also the option of a "post-bacc" possibility to take the lab course prerequisites a la carte at several different universities across the country. As someone who has been on my school's AdCom, there would be a longer look if they were done at a university to go along with1000 clinical hours than have 2000 clinical hours and these courses at a CC.

When I talk of "lower" tier MD schools I mostly refer to the newer schools, Rosy Franklin, Albany, ones with lower average MCATs and GPAs per the MSAR. Tulane, like you mentioned, has an average matriculant MCAT in the 83rd %ile. Emory's is closer to 90th. Your history of service and accomplishments make achieving that specific score less of a 'requirement', but that will only go so far.

If I went the community college route, I could remain employed versus going to live off loans just to finish my prerequisites at a more prestigious university. I assumed doing well in my prereqs, even from a CC, would be fine given a good MCAT. I can tell a lot of people put emphasis on university prereqs, though.

I took 90 - 95% of my med school prereq at CC (first 2 years of my undergraduate education) prior to transferring and i got into multiple schools just fine so i don't think thats an issue! Now, many schools require upper div course works such as Upper div bio and others so you should pick your school carefully. The main reasons why many recommend you to take a few courses at 4-year level is because ADCOM likes to see your ability to handle more rigorous course work even if it is not required for admission (biochem sometime isn't required). A lot of my friends did DIY postbac at community college but they did go to a 4-year before that.

Every single prerequisite I need is offered at the CC, they're like specifically made to get people into bigger schools in my town. It seems that way, at least. I only have two schools to choose from where I live. The university or community college. My town is small - only about 30k people.

Wait, you don’t enjoy classes with 200+ ppl?

I don't mind large classes, I just assumed knocking them out the park in a smaller setting would help me develop a better relationship with my professors and possibly get some stronger LOR's.

Every single prerequisite I need is offered at the CC, they're like specifically made to get people into bigger schools in my town. It seems that way, at least. I only have two schools to choose from where I live. The university or community college. My town is small - only about 30k people.
I say you should just take them at CC! Save money and no problem w adcom but you need to ACE the MCAT

If I went the community college route, I could remain employed versus going to live off loans just to finish my prerequisites at a more prestigious university. I assumed doing well in my prereqs, even from a CC, would be fine given a good MCAT. I can tell a lot of people put emphasis on university prereqs, though.

I'll give you an example that I remember- Ivy Leaguer non-science major, had a pretty bad GPA but really impressive extracurriculars. Moved back home to midwest and took pre-med courses at CC, got 4.0. Did fine on MCAT, lets say around a 506 which is 65% or so. Was not considered for interview because she hadn't shown the ability to perform in rigorous academic setting. Now, I don't know if she got in somewhere, I hope she does. But your story does not sound too different from hers which is why I'm giving you the advice to take the courses at a university.