non traditional situation- looking for some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spndental22

Reaction score
I am in a little bit of a unique situation, so I was hoping to get some advice from anyone that might have some insight!

About me; I just completed a post bacc from an ivy league school (im not sure how relevant that is, but for the sake of disclosure). My undergrad GPA is 3.7 (UCLA), and my science GPA is 3.9. Also, I do not have a lot of volunteer work ( I did a bunch in high school and continued to do a little in college for that same organization, but really haven't done much in the last couple years) I am taking the DAT next week, and I am interested in advice that assumes I will do well because otherwise I will of course reevaluate -like assuming 22+, as I am getting pretty good scores on practice tests.

I started the post bacc program right out of college, as I decided that I wanted to go into healthcare and was hoping to apply to medical school. I spent a year and a half shadowing and doing research with a medical doctor during that time, and I realized for many, many reasons that while I do love the healthcare setting and had a positive experience, dentistry is a far better fit for me than medicine. I began shadowing a few weeks ago, and it has completely solidified that decision.

I want to know if you guys think it is reasonable for me to apply this cycle, considering the fact that I am already a couple years out of college and I would love to get started since I am absolutely sure about dental school- and I have debt/life to consider. However, I only started shadowing last month, so by the time i'd apply to my dream schools (UoP, USC, UCLA.. too late for UCSF), it will be late November which is late in the cycle. Also, I am wondering if it is a little crazy to do so when I just started shadowing recently. Basically, how much do schools scrutinize these types of things-- changing my mind and shadowing late.

Also, I am really struggling with the notion of a personal statement right now considering the fact that I changed my mind twice. Does anyone have some advice on how to go about this (whether it be to wait a year or work with what I have, open to all suggestions)

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a little bit of a unique situation, so I was hoping to get some advice from anyone that might have some insight!

About me; I just completed a post bacc from an ivy league school (im not sure how relevant that is, but for the sake of disclosure). My undergrad GPA is 3.7 (UCLA), and my science GPA is 3.9. Also, I do not have a lot of volunteer work ( I did a bunch in high school and continued to do a little in college for that same organization, but really haven't done much in the last couple years) I am taking the DAT next week, and I am interested in advice that assumes I will do well because otherwise I will of course reevaluate -like assuming 22+, as I am getting pretty good scores on practice tests.

I started the post bacc program right out of college, as I decided that I wanted to go into healthcare and was hoping to apply to medical school. I spent a year and a half shadowing and doing research with a medical doctor during that time, and I realized for many, many reasons that while I do love the healthcare setting and had a positive experience, dentistry is a far better fit for me than medicine. I began shadowing a few weeks ago, and it has completely solidified that decision.

I want to know if you guys think it is reasonable for me to apply this cycle, considering the fact that I am already a couple years out of college and I would love to get started since I am absolutely sure about dental school- and I have debt/life to consider. However, I only started shadowing last month, so by the time i'd apply to my dream schools (UoP, USC, UCLA.. too late for UCSF), it will be late November which is late in the cycle. Also, I am wondering if it is a little crazy to do so when I just started shadowing recently. Basically, how much do schools scrutinize these types of things-- changing my mind and shadowing late.

Also, I am really struggling with the notion of a personal statement right now considering the fact that I changed my mind twice. Does anyone have some advice on how to go about this (whether it be to wait a year or work with what I have, open to all suggestions)
Try getting a job in a dental office to really see what the day-to-day is like. You may feel like dentistry is a better fit from the outside but why rush it? This is the rest of your life you're talking about - make sure you actually are going to like doing it! You don't want to be half way through dental school and nearly $200,000 in debt before you realize you hate it.

Try getting a job in a dental office to really see what the day-to-day is like. You may feel like dentistry is a better fit from the outside but why rush it? This is the rest of your life you're talking about - make sure you actually are going to like doing it! You don't want to be half way through dental school and nearly $200,000 in debt before you realize you hate it.

I definitely agree it is important to be sure and while that is my current plan (to get a job at a dental office) especially if I don't apply this year, I've become pretty sure about my choice from shadowing over the past few weeks.
I know it doesn't sound like a lot of time, but I've done a lot of research as well as discussed the pros and cons with the dentists that I shadow and my personal dentist. As for my being sure, I believe I am as sure as I ever will be. So I am more interested in knowing whether the fact that my decision was pretty recent hurts my prospects at these schools to the extent that I should wait a year. or if not, how I should go about addressing these things in a personal statement. I am fine with waiting a year if need be for my application and so on, but since I DO know it's what I want, I would prefer to apply sooner if that makes sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
November is too late. You will be throwing money away. I would be very surprised if you got into any of the schools you listed even with a 22+ DAT and a 3.7 because all the schools you listed are competitive. If you apply next year (and early) you should have the ability to choose between programs.

November is too late. You will be throwing money away. I would be very surprised if you got into any of the schools you listed even with a 22+ DAT and a 3.7 because all the schools you listed are competitive. If you apply next year (and early) you should have the ability to choose between programs.

I see, this is really great to know! I was considering maybe just applying to UoP this year as a major hail mary, since I live right by it and the cost of applying to one school isn't terrible, but is getting in this late basically completely unheard of? If it really never happens, I suppose I may just save the energy of applying, but if there's even the slightest possibility I think I am willing to pay the fee of one application. What do you think? Thanks so much by the way!

I definitely agree it is important to be sure and while that is my current plan (to get a job at a dental office) especially if I don't apply this year, I've become pretty sure about my choice from shadowing over the past few weeks.
I know it doesn't sound like a lot of time, but I've done a lot of research as well as discussed the pros and cons with the dentists that I shadow and my personal dentist. As for my being sure, I believe I am as sure as I ever will be. So I am more interested in knowing whether the fact that my decision was pretty recent hurts my prospects at these schools to the extent that I should wait a year. or if not, how I should go about addressing these things in a personal statement. I am fine with waiting a year if need be for my application and so on, but since I DO know it's what I want, I would prefer to apply sooner if that makes sense.
It's definitely on the late side and your volunteer hours are low which may make schools question if you really know what you're getting yourself into. You could use the extra year to take more advanced classes to help with your first year course load.

It totally makes sense to want to start sooner rather than later - that's a year of your life that you're not practicing dentistry and making a dentists' salary; you could still apply to lower-tier schools and see if you get in at the last minute - why such a short list?

I see, this is really great to know! I was considering maybe just applying to UoP this year as a major hail mary, since I live right by it and the cost of applying to one school isn't terrible, but is getting in this late basically completely unheard of? If it really never happens, I suppose I may just save the energy of applying, but if there's even the slightest possibility I think I am willing to pay the fee of one application. What do you think? Thanks so much by the way!

UOP and USC take lots of people after dec 1
in fact, one year, USC didn't even start interviewing until after dec 1 (but I think that it was not intentional)
they get lots of people who decline acceptances because they are amongst the most expensive schools and are "back ups" for people who get into other schools
that said, late- November is SUPER late
and as another person said, if you get good DAT scores and apply early next cycle, you could have your choice of schools
another red flag is that you were pre-med until recently
not matter how hard you try to explain it, you have only been shadowing a dentist for a very short time
lots of adcom members might think twice about you as a candidate

aloha

steve