Non-traditional Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JbarkerEMT

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel like I'm up a creek w/o a paddle. I'm not your typical pre-med student. I messed around in high school and ended up graduating with about a 1.9 GPA. I wasn't accepted into any colleges that I wanted to go to (what a suprise!). I've spent some time since I graduated high school going to a local community college and taking classes that have nothing to do with medicine, except for my EMT courses. I've taken 2 english classes, A and C for grades. 2 psychology classes, C's in both. Public Speaking, Computer Basics. I've also taken a general chemistry class for one semester and I flunked. I'm horrible at math and I've had no college math experience that resulted in a grade. To put it simply, my transcripts are a mess and I have no idea where I stand as far as being considered a freshman, sophmore, etc. +pity+

On the positive side, if there is one, I do have ambition and I've matured a lot from my earlier days, can't say younger days since I'm only 24. I'm taking classes at a community college to rebuild the foundation in biology, chemistry, and math. Starting with an introductory biology course, a chemistry course that preps you for general chemistry, and pre-algebra (don't laugh, I said I wasn't good at math.) I'm planning on taking most of my non-science courses that are requires for a BS/BA degree at the community college and then transfering to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas to take the required sciences that I need for medical school and finish off my degree. The problem is that since I don't know where I stand academically, I don' know when I should start studying for the MCAT or start applying to Med schools.

Is anyone else in this same situation or were in this situation? Am I on the right track or should I modify my plans? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I'm up a creek w/o a paddle. I'm not your typical pre-med student. I messed around in high school and ended up graduating with about a 1.9 GPA. I wasn't accepted into any colleges that I wanted to go to (what a suprise!). I've spent some time since I graduated high school going to a local community college and taking classes that have nothing to do with medicine, except for my EMT courses. I've taken 2 english classes, A and C for grades. 2 psychology classes, C's in both. Public Speaking, Computer Basics. I've also taken a general chemistry class for one semester and I flunked. I'm horrible at math and I've had no college math experience that resulted in a grade. To put it simply, my transcripts are a mess and I have no idea where I stand as far as being considered a freshman, sophmore, etc. +pity+

On the positive side, if there is one, I do have ambition and I've matured a lot from my earlier days, can't say younger days since I'm only 24. I'm taking classes at a community college to rebuild the foundation in biology, chemistry, and math. Starting with an introductory biology course, a chemistry course that preps you for general chemistry, and pre-algebra (don't laugh, I said I wasn't good at math.) I'm planning on taking most of my non-science courses that are requires for a BS/BA degree at the community college and then transfering to the University of Nevada-Las Vegas to take the required sciences that I need for medical school and finish off my degree. The problem is that since I don't know where I stand academically, I don' know when I should start studying for the MCAT or start applying to Med schools.

Is anyone else in this same situation or were in this situation? Am I on the right track or should I modify my plans? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks...

Hey JB,

I first want to welcome you to SDN and commend you for your decision. At 24, I would hardly call you non-traditional, although your situation is a little unique.

I assume (maybe wrongly so) that in order to graduate from your program at the CC, you'll probably need about 60 credits? This would technically place you at junior standing when applying to a 4-yr university. If you're taking all of your requisites at the CC (i.e., a year each of GenBio, GenChem, GenPhys, Orgo, Math and English), and you're planning on pursuing a major in Biology, you'll be taking some advanced courses in Bio (Biochem, Genetics are recommended, almost unspoken requisites, and schools often look for these courses). Take these courses and try to do as best as you can in them to balance out some of the lower grades that you've gotten (you'll have to send transcripts from the CC when you're applying, so all of your grades will be seen).

As far as when to apply, this is up to you. There is not necessarily a right time to do it, unless you're wanting to take your education straight through to medical school. I know a lot of posters on SDN have obtained graduate degrees, and in addition, have worked a few years before applying (like me). I encourage you to take your time. Medical school is a big committment, from application to graduation, and you want to make sure that you're adequately prepared for the experience. Once you reach the 4-yr university, you should be able to make a better determination about when you want to apply.

If you feel that your grades aren't as on point as you'd like them to be by the time you finish your Bachelor's, then you might want to look into doing a post-baccalaureate program. Most programs are different, some allowing you to take pre-reqs (if you haven't done well in them or if you haven't taken courses), and some boast more advanced studies in which you're studying medical school courses (e.g. Biochem, Histology, etc.). Some programs help you along with MCAT preparation and guarantee you an "in" if you successful complete the program parameters. You can read more about post-bacs in the "Post-Baccalaureate" forum.

My last word is not to give up! You've come a long way, and with some patience and hard work, you can do this. Keep your options open, read and learn from SDN, and slowly set up a plan of action for yourself (e.g., where do you want to see yourself in 10 years; ideally, where would you want to go to school and whether certain programs are right for you, etc.). For now, concentrate on getting and keeping those grades up, and get help when you need it (are there tutoring services available on your campus?). I wish you the best and hope that everything works out for you.

Take care :)
H&T

Sorry for duplicating a couple of posts but the op wanted this to stay in pre-allo and I messed up when I moved it back from postbac!