Non-Traditional Applicant, What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgfering

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I truly need help in what to do from now. I am a current applicant with 2 MCAT attempts (492, 502) who only applied to 4 schools this cycle (MD schools) for the sole reason that I meet their minimum requirements criteria, but I have not heard from any of them. Given the consensus, I would like to prepare for reapplying the next cycle.

A little bit about myself:

26 y/o male, non-traditional, Hispanic (1st generation immigrant, GC holder), with foreign bachelor's degree (Equivalence by WES; I attached an equivalence done by a different company, so you can have an idea of my coursework) and 3.45 GPA.

I am currently taking undergrad post-bacc classes at my local CC (WY resident for ~3 years who does not qualify for WWAMI), these classes include: General Psychology, 3 semesters of Math (1 semester of college algebra) and a GPA of 4.0 so far.

Since most schools require applicants to have completed ~90 credit hours at an US institution or have an US/Canadian bachelor's degree, I was wondering what would be the best route in order to get accepted the next cycle?. Keep the kind-of-DIY at my local CC? Where I am planning to take Physics l & ll, General Chem l & ll, Organic Chem l & ll (probs a couple more??). Or do a formal Master's program (Preferably an online one given my location and current full-time employment).

A glance on my EC's:

~1000 hours of Research,
co-author on published paper at home country undergraduate institution (included in foreign transcripts).
~70 hours food bank volunteer, ~20 hours Boys and Girls Club Volunteer.
~7000 hours paid clinical experience
, 1 year in Venezuela, ~3 years in the US. Direct patient interaction, working alongside doctors (Mainly Pathologist, also Pulm/CC, Interventional Radiologist, General Surgeons, Endocrinologists).
5 Individual LOR's (2 pathologists, 3 Interventional Radiologists), 1 Faculty professor LOR (Math Professor).
A few more of EC's, but done at home country. So I do not think they're worth mentioning, but they include: Gathering of food and toys for the elderly in nursing homes and kids who are in orphanages. Visiting hospitalized kids with cancer or terminal disease to provide entertainment, etc.
Completed 1 year of medical school in Venezuela, dropped out upon moving to the US.

I understand my situation is extremely complex and unusual. However, I'd appreciate any help or advice on where to go from here. I understand that an MCAT retake will be necessary, but I'd like an idea on how to improve my coursework in order to apply to a wider array of schools and increase my chances of admission.

Thank you greatly, please feel free to include any critique or advice, they will be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Equivalence1.jpg
    Equivalence1.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 87
  • Equivalence2.jpg
    Equivalence2.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 82
Apply DO, and increase your application count closer to 30, not 4. Also, do not retake the MCAT unless your practice scores are consistently 510+. Another low MCAT could be the proverbial nail in the coffin for you.

Reactions: 1 user
You aren’t really competitive for MD. You should plan on applying to DO schools next cycle and way more than 4. As @stickgirl390 said, don’t retake the MCAT unless you can score at least a 510. Many schools average multiple MCAT scores so for those that do you are working with a 496. So you need to score much higher.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user