Non-Trad roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I want to dedicate my life to medicine, but I have to be able to get there, you know? If I can't afford a reliable car to get to class every day, that's going to be a major impediment to my success. I can't afford university, so I'm at CC. I'm planning on Wayne State University for post-bacc/medical school, and they accept CC for prereqs on a case-by-case basis.

Would it be better to do the ADN, work as a RN while earning a BS in bio/chemistry? I understand that PA school is right for some people, but I feel like it would be like an aspiring lawyer becoming a paralegal, a engineering-hopeful becoming a draftsman.

It's a marathon, but the people at the front of the pack are still sprinting compared to those in the middle or even the back. I want the endurance for the long-haul. I don't want to manage to get into med school, only to realize how grossly unprepared I am, not having the background for it.

I've heard a lot of schools offer loads of resources, tutoring, mentoring, etc., but it will be twice as difficult not having the experience/knowledge of biology, genetics, molecular biochemistry, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I could major in classic literature, as long as I have the 8 prerequisites, a competitive GPA/MCAT, and a well-rounded background in terms of volunteering, essays, etc. I know the classes are not even nearly similar, and they may not even be accepted for transfer credits; I'm asking what classes, on top of the prerequisites, gen-eds, and nursing classes I should take to prepare me for the content once IN medical school, accepted, interviewed, and squared away.

Good luck! Also a nurse living a double life ;) Finding a way to make the schedule work sucks but you can do it! I'm applying this cycle

Yes Take. Working the scheduling! It's a serious pain. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I want to dedicate my life to medicine, but I have to be able to get there, you know? If I can't afford a reliable car to get to class every day, that's going to be a major impediment to my success. I can't afford university, so I'm at CC. I'm planning on Wayne State University for post-bacc/medical school, and they accept CC for prereqs on a case-by-case basis.

Would it be better to do the ADN, work as a RN while earning a BS in bio/chemistry? I understand that PA school is right for some people, but I feel like it would be like an aspiring lawyer becoming a paralegal, a engineering-hopeful becoming a draftsman.

It's a marathon, but the people at the front of the pack are still sprinting compared to those in the middle or even the back. I want the endurance for the long-haul. I don't want to manage to get into med school, only to realize how grossly unprepared I am, not having the background for it.

I've heard a lot of schools offer loads of resources, tutoring, mentoring, etc., but it will be twice as difficult not having the experience/knowledge of biology, genetics, molecular biochemistry, etc.

IMHO I feel the RN-factor only works in your favor if you have had some serious full-time practice over at least 3-5 years. Of course people will do, whatever, and that's fine. Using it as a path to medicine or to help pay the bills while going for medicine is kind of goofy unless you have strong experience in your area of practice.

One reason is that that is what is expected for per diem RN gigs (years of experience in area of practice) and mostly that you will only be able to work as a RN per diem when in med school. So if you have not practiced long enough in your area as a RN, it will be pretty tough to get a per diem gig--and it should be. Generally for per diem, you need strong, experienced people.

Even in terms of meeting your pre-req, the hours of work for RNs can vary, include off-shift--you really have to suck up crappy schedules until you pay your dues, and even then the scheduling can be a major pain.

Clinically, without years of strong experience, the advantage for medical school will be minimal. So, is it worth it to do that degree when your actually aim is for medicine? Probably not in most cases.

It takes a while to move toward expert practice as an RN in your particular area/s. It's really at that point, when a lot of stuff merges and makes more sense. If anything you are not as quick to outwardly panic, BUT you have learned to be less apt to blow things off--and you generally get when something is a potential bomb and when something is not. Even then, you are very circumspect; b/c you have learned that everyone is an individual, and you have to look carefully at cookie cutter approaches and solutions.

If I had it to do all over, while I have enjoyed and learned much as a RN in critical care, I would have pursued this path earlier, and my major would have been biochemistry.

IDK that the added and brief benefits of obtaining the ADN-RNwill be worth it if your goal is to move straight into pre-med and medicine. Just one nurse's opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
theseeker4

I am a current 3rd year medical student.

Have a wife and almost-4 year old son, worked prior to starting med school as a chemist, before that, in no particular order, I was a cook, waiter, armed guard in New Orleans after Katrina, pizza place manager, and History major planning to go to law school. Luckily I needed no remediation since I did well in undergrad, but took a bunch of courses toward a second bachelors in biochemistry for my chemistry job, so I have something close to 200 undergraduate credits, I have been at the same university -- first for my first bachelors, then my post bach, then working toward a second bachelors, and now in medical school -- since 2001.

How did they take going for a second bachelors? How old are you? What made you decide on WSU? I'm from the metro area, as well. Would you mind if I PM'd you for some more information regarding your path into medical school?

The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself. This is a multi-step process, and not only does it take time, but you have to work very, very hard.

Well, get it. How badly do you want to be a doctor? If you want it, earn it. But spare us the "woe is me " attitude. I'd have students who had been homeless.

The following courses will be useful for med school: anatomy, physiology, medical microbiology, neuroscience, pharmacology, molecular genetics, cell biology, biochemistry, immunology, biostats.

Reactions: 1 users
Even in terms of meeting your pre-req, the hours of work for RNs can vary, include off-shift--you really have to suck up crappy schedules until you pay your dues, and even then the scheduling can be a major pain.

Clinically, without years of strong experience, the advantage for medical school will be minimal. So, is it worth it to do that degree when your actually aim is for medicine? Probably not in most cases.

That's kind of my view on the matter. Figure I'll just quote you, though ;)

That's kind of my view on the matter. Figure I'll just quote you, though ;)

So true.

And really, the RN work hours can seriously suck. I don't know how many times I had to go to class being up for >24 hrs because I had class the day before then work for 12 hrs then only enough time to shower and go back to school again. Definitely not ideal and it was indeed mentally, emotionally, and physically draining especially with a lack of support. From a financial standpoint, it would not be practical for me to quit work to finish pre-reqs and boy, do these science classes take up a lot of time! Either way, if it's something you sincerely want, you'll do what you gotta do to make it work it just takes a lot of planning.

Well, get it. How badly do you want to be a doctor? If you want it, earn it. But spare us the "woe is me " attitude. I'd have students who had been homeless.

Yes, they had to have had some incredible PSs.

Previously worked in leveraged finance at an investment bank. Undergrad degree in econ/accounting.
-Currently work as a scribe and in finance.
-MCAT next June. Compressing prereqs in the interim. Will be applying to lower tier/ mid tier MD schools.

Last edited:
Okay, why do any of you deserve to be a doctor now? That would be my number one question to a non-trad.

Or this spirit guy you have a career and now you want a different career. How do I know you won't go become a lawyer next? I liked all your posts spirit so give me a honest answer why do you deserve to be a doctor when you already have a career.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, why do any of you deserve to be a doctor now? That would be my number one question to a non-trad.

Or this spirit guy you have a career and now you want a different career. How do I know you won't go become a lawyer next? I liked all your posts spirit so give me a honest answer why do you deserve to be a doctor when you already have a career.

Hmmm, feels weird to me...deserve. I don't know that anyone actually "deserves" to be a physician. I mean you could make an academic argument for "deserve," I guess, but that alone feels weak.

The "deserve" is probably gonna fall in line with what you would hope to achieve as a physician--and some of that may come to be, and some not so much.

I think I am looking at deserve in a biased way, b/c it smacks of some kind of entitlement.

16 responses from this user I've never met. I've decided to ignore you.

Also, why would anyone go non-trad bashing on a non-trad forum?

Hmmm, feels weird to me...deserve. I don't know that anyone actually "deserves" to be a physician. I mean you could make an academic argument for "deserve," I guess, but that alone feels weak.

The "deserve" is probably gonna fall in line with what you would hope to achieve as a physician--and some of that may come to be, and some not so much.

I think I am looking at deserve in a biased way, b/c it smacks of some kind of entitlement.

I think he's a troll,

Doctors are altruistic people. If a non trad is altruistic they will allow a younger person to take their place because they can help more people.

Spirit decided to do his thing. Now he wants to do something else. That is not how the real world works. Spirit will spend the rest of his life as a tech. He made that choice, now he has to follow through.

16 responses from this user I've never met. I've decided to ignore you.

Also, why would anyone go non-trad bashing on a non-trad forum?

I am just asking a question. You mad bro?

The nontrad forum is for you. Stay here, do not go elsewhere you don't deserve to be. Got that bro?

Spirit tries to roll with the big boys.

I am a premed who had a chemistry question. I noticed him and called him out.

ji lin also ignores people because she can't take a different view point. Guilty without evidence, just like you.

There is no way that the moderators could keep up will the amount of trolls and trollish behavior here at SDN. Thankfully they have granted us a wonderful feature called "ignore feature." You will also notice a fair amount of actual physicians happily and intelligently use the feature as well. See ya. Oh wait. NM. I won't. ;)

This conversation assumes at least two things:

1. That it is inherently selfish to make a career change. The fact is, it is not. And it is not 'selfish' to take a spot away from a traditional student because the fact is that, if the traditional student deserved to have that spot more than the non-traditional student, they would have gotten it.

2. That those desiring to be doctors are altruistic without limit or bounds. This is also not true, as seen clearly in the competitiveness and compensation of the medical field. There is a fair amount of professional selfishness.

Based on the tone and content this user has contributed to this conversation, I can deduce that this user is either a troll or is insecure about the possibility of his/her acceptance to a medical program and is taking it out on non-traditionals whose credentials make them more deserving and, thus, who take a spot from a less deserving traditional student.

You know who deserves to be a doctor? The people who put in the hard work to pass the exams, take the classes, and care about the profession and practice of medicine. Whether that person came straight from college out of high school, took a bachelor's in another field and moved into a post-bacc, or is moving from an entirely different career altogether is irrelevant to that. If it was relevant to who deserves to be a doctor, medical schools would only accept traditional students. By claiming that a non-traditional student does not deserve to be a doctor because of a different major or career is claiming to know more than adcoms, med schools, and the medical profession. If you really want to claim you know more about who deserves to be a doctor than actual doctors, then I might recommend a certain kind of doctor that tends to deal with mental and personality disorders.

If you have issues with non-trads, I've a fantastic suggestion for you: stay out of the non-trad forum. Amazing how that works.

This conversation assumes at least two things:

1. That it is inherently selfish to make a career change. The fact is, it is not. And it is not 'selfish' to take a spot away from a traditional student because the fact is that, if the traditional student deserved to have that spot more than the non-traditional student, they would have gotten it.

2. That those desiring to be doctors are altruistic without limit or bounds. This is also not true, as seen clearly in the competitiveness and compensation of the medical field. There is a fair amount of professional selfishness.

Based on the tone and content this user has contributed to this conversation, I can deduce that this user is either a troll or is insecure about the possibility of his/her acceptance to a medical program and is taking it out on non-traditionals whose credentials make them more deserving and, thus, who take a spot from a less deserving traditional student.

You know who deserves to be a doctor? The people who put in the hard work to pass the exams, take the classes, and care about the profession and practice of medicine. Whether that person came straight from college out of high school, took a bachelor's in another field and moved into a post-bacc, or is moving from an entirely different career altogether is irrelevant to that. If it was relevant to who deserves to be a doctor, medical schools would only accept traditional students. By claiming that a non-traditional student does not deserve to be a doctor because of a different major or career is claiming to know more than adcoms, med schools, and the medical profession. If you really want to claim you know more about who deserves to be a doctor than actual doctors, then I might recommend a certain kind of doctor that tends to deal with mental and personality disorders.

If you have issues with non-trads, I've a fantastic suggestion for you: stay out of the non-trad forum. Amazing how that works.

Spot in reserve for future commentary.

I hear the caribbean will admit Spirit today!

If he gets a residency from there I will respect him. Until then he's just someone who stirs up trouble.

@Cerebral Assassin : And how are you NOT someone who just stirs up trouble? @Spirit of the Student Doc has been here over a year and has been fairly active on the forums. You joined yesterday and have been nothing but condescending toward non-trads. Again, if you have an issue with non-trads, then leave us alone. We're adults. We don't desperately seek after the respect of random teenage internet users. So, I highly doubt Spirit cares about when and if your respect will be gained.

I hope you do well. I hope you get into a great med school and become a fantastic physician. But what you're doing here, this is not the type of conversing a great physician, present or future, participates in, especially if, as you say, physicians are, by their nature, altruistic.

• Who you are (screenname)
    • Y = bX+a
  • How long till you apply
    • Hoping two or three years, not going to rush this process, even though I want to ;).
  • Anything else you wish to share
This is round two for me on SDN, I first joined this community over six years ago (under a different pseudonym) to seek guidance while I navigated the application process for my first doctoral degree, staying relatively active in the psychology forum supporting eager scholars who were starting down a similar path.

I have been observering the non-trad forums for the past several years and now that I am nearing the end of my fellowship, have decided that now is the time to throw my hat in the ring. Throughout my time observing these forums my desire to evolve my career has grown ever stronger as I have seen the incredible accomplishments of those who have gone before. It is an honor for me, at this point, to finally make this post on this particular forum (one which I have contemplated many times before) as it signifies to me the first step of many towards becoming a physician. I would expect many posts to come from me (with 95% confidence ;)), and I would like to thank the community in advance for the support and wisdom which I will glean from your experiences. I am excited to be back.

Im the Diosa del Rawk

Barely starting my postbacc. Have a BA in Sociology, but was orignialy a bio major. Will apply in two years time.

Im 33 years old, no kids, not married, working in a major hospital as an admim asst. Took me 10 years to earn my BA. I know from the getgo that I want to be a pathologist. Currently seeking volunteer opps in hospitals. Would love to shadow a pathologist ;)

And go:+pad+:welcome:[/QUOTE]

-Lisica Runes ("Vulpes vulpes")

-Applying 2017

-RN working as a Nurse Case Manager for the underinsured, homeless, and/or chronically disabled. Volunteer school nurse at my seven year-old daughter's charter here in New Orleans. Also do street outreach, health education and wound care for homeless residents via a collective I co-established. Bio major/psych minor, doing well. Background in lots of social justice activism (hoping to bring that energy to medical practice). Interested in rural, integrative-holistic, preventative primary care (IM/family practice). Mainly looking at the DO route, as I genuinely find OMM a fantastic adjunct to conventional treatments when it comes to the diagnosis and management of multi-system, chronic disorders. Soto Zen layperson. Perpetual bike fanatic. Affable weirdo with a motive to heal.

I initially thought nursing would satisfy my desire to assist others in the management of their health, and have me feeling like I was improving the quality of life for folks down here (New Orleans can seem something of a broken place with regards to health. Check out the CDC metrics for a start.) I know not some, but many dedicated, intelligent and inspirational nurses, as well as therapists of all kinds, EMT's, technicians, etc. However I've felt divided from my colleagues for multiple reasons, coming off as overly interested in the science of healing, "strangely politically motivated", someone who bugs the residents and other docs for answers all the time (yet am well received by them for it!), and empathetic, but without the sense of humor or detachment shared by others. Have obsessed over a patient's lab values in flux or educational needs after shifts, and called to check in on them often enough to quite annoy my supervisors. "You sound like a doctor" has been repeated, with distain, plenty over the course of a shift. Fine. You're right.

I guess I don't just want a "career in healthcare". I want, instead, to commit to heal.

Good luck all! Stay strong! Stay inspired!

Hello!

TawnyMarie
SF Bay Area
Medical Experience: CNA, EMT, Medical Scribe, and Health Unit Coordinator
One parent was a paramedic and the other was a nurse. It runs in my family.
I'm a mom to a 9 year old and nearing my 30th birthday. Undergrad degree completed online. Received a lot of CLEP/AP Credit. Science prerequistes completed at a local 4 year university. I did amazeroo on the Biology GRE Subject test.

I am considering the HPSP program to pay for medical school. I always had a desire to serve in the military. I'm still researching this.

I am applying DO only (Touro University) here in the bay area.
Interested in hospital medicine (Hospitalist)

I will take the MCAT this spring (2015 version) and see how I do. If I do well I'll apply for the fall 2016 entering class. If I don't do as well as I'd like then I will apply for the post bacc program and then interview for the 2017 entering class since it's part of the agreement with Touro.

Between my age, mom status, and completing my undergrad online...I'd say I'm pretty darn non-traditional and would LOVE to meet other students especially in the bay area :)

I live in Fairfield, mom, and will be taking the mcat in the spring ad well (April)

-Lisica Runes ("Vulpes vulpes")

-Applying 2017

-RN working as a Nurse Case Manager for the underinsured, homeless, and/or chronically disabled. Volunteer school nurse at my seven year-old daughter's charter here in New Orleans. Also do street outreach, health education and wound care for homeless residents via a collective I co-established. Bio major/psych minor, doing well. Background in lots of social justice activism (hoping to bring that energy to medical practice). Interested in rural, integrative-holistic, preventative primary care (IM/family practice). Mainly looking at the DO route, as I genuinely find OMM a fantastic adjunct to conventional treatments when it comes to the diagnosis and management of multi-system, chronic disorders. Soto Zen layperson. Perpetual bike fanatic. Affable weirdo with a motive to heal.

I initially thought nursing would satisfy my desire to assist others in the management of their health, and have me feeling like I was improving the quality of life for folks down here (New Orleans can seem something of a broken place with regards to health. Check out the CDC metrics for a start.) I know not some, but many dedicated, intelligent and inspirational nurses, as well as therapists of all kinds, EMT's, technicians, etc. However I've felt divided from my colleagues for multiple reasons, coming off as overly interested in the science of healing, "strangely politically motivated", someone who bugs the residents and other docs for answers all the time (yet am well received by them for it!), and empathetic, but without the sense of humor or detachment shared by others. Have obsessed over a patient's lab values in flux or educational needs after shifts, and called to check in on them often enough to quite annoy my supervisors. "You sound like a doctor" has been repeated, with distain, plenty over the course of a shift. Fine. You're right.

I guess I don't just want a "career in healthcare". I want, instead, to commit to heal.

Good luck all! Stay strong! Stay inspired!

Your case manager skills will come in handy once you're a doc. Despite the fact that there are many dedicated folks helping out, docs do a ton of social management. You're probably already aware of that though.

During intern year at the VA, I used to doctor in the AM and social work in the PM (PM 'job' not by choice).

Best of luck!

29 year old, Financial economics BS, post-bacc checking in. At the earliest, I will be applying next year, with a handful of classes left to take in the glide year. It might be more likely that I apply in 2017. I think it will depend on how confident I feel about my MCAT next May.

The classes I would have left to take during my glide year would be first semester of biology (it is not a pre-req for the second semester I have taken), and second semester organic chemistry. Depending on the school, I may need molecular biology, and biochem with lab (I am taking a combined mo.bio/biochem course with no lab, and I am not sure if that will satisfy both, one or none for various schools). And lastly any school specific courses that I haven't taken for a school I feel I am a strong candidate.

Hello! New to this forum and to the journey... I recently received my post-bacc program acceptance, and I will start the program this fall. Background on me: 30 years old, married, no kids. I have a bachelors in advertising (3.93 gpa) and a masters in business management (3.90 gpa). I worked in marketing for the last six years with many, "I really wish I would have followed my dream and gone to med school" moments. I finally took the plunge thanks to my husband's support and (somewhat gentle) urging that I follow my dream. I plan to begin shadowing in the next few weeks.

It's been many, many years since I took math and science courses so I'm nervous/anxious/excited to get the ball rolling. I'm doing an intro to chem & precalc refresher class that starts next week to get ready for fall.

My post-bacc program suggests that I take the MCAT in late May 2017 after I get my pre-reqs behind me. This would be about a month after spring classes end (taking biochem, genetics, a lab, and sociology that semester). They recommend this so I can submit my 2018 application at the start of the cycle in June. Is this even feasible? I'm worried that a month of dedicated time won't be nearly enough prep for the MCAT.

Hello! New to this forum and to the journey... I recently received my post-bacc program acceptance, and I will start the program this fall. Background on me: 30 years old, married, no kids. I have a bachelors in advertising (3.93 gpa) and a masters in business management (3.90 gpa). I worked in marketing for the last six years with many, "I really wish I would have followed my dream and gone to med school" moments. I finally took the plunge thanks to my husband's support and (somewhat gentle) urging that I follow my dream. I plan to begin shadowing in the next few weeks.

It's been many, many years since I took math and science courses so I'm nervous/anxious/excited to get the ball rolling. I'm doing an intro to chem & precalc refresher class that starts next week to get ready for fall.

My post-bacc program suggests that I take the MCAT in late May 2017 after I get my pre-reqs behind me. This would be about a month after spring classes end (taking biochem, genetics, a lab, and sociology that semester). They recommend this so I can submit my 2018 application at the start of the cycle in June. Is this even feasible? I'm worried that a month of dedicated time won't be nearly enough prep for the MCAT.

It does seem like a tough task. Have you gone over your schedule plans with your advisor? In my post-bacc program we typically take only one science course in the final Spiring semester, and an off-site MCAT review class, like Kaplan. Then take the MCAT in late May. Three classes plus a lab, plus a review course is going to be rough. Especially if you are going to try and do all the readings and HW for your MCAT class, and your own supplemental studying.

It does seem like a tough task. Have you gone over your schedule plans with your advisor? In my post-bacc program we typically take only one science course in the final Spiring semester, and an off-site MCAT review class, like Kaplan. Then take the MCAT in late May. Three classes plus a lab, plus a review course is going to be rough. Especially if you are going to try and do all the readings and HW for your MCAT class, and your own supplemental studying.

I met with my advisor this morning, and she seemed confident that it was enough time. It seems pretty ambitious to me after everything I have read regarding study time and the test. Would a late June test be feasible for me?

Kinipela
  • 27 years old
  • Born and raised in the great state of Texas!
  • First generation college student
  • BS in nutrition, psychology & nursing
  • RN for ~3 years (adult cardiology and now pediatric cardiology)
  • I work for one of the best children's hospitals in the nation and am thankful for everything I've experienced! I truly think my experience as a nurse will help me be not only a better physician, but a better colleague as well
  • I planned on applying for med school while still in undergrad but life happens. I put my dreams on hold and decided to go for a BS in nursing in case I never got the chance to try for med school. I figured I'd be fine working as an NP. After working closely with NPs, PAs and MDs, I quickly realized NP is not what I want to do and am back on my journey to med school.
  • Applying this year for the entering class of 2016! :soexcited:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
VegasPreMed
27, married former grocery manager with one five year old daughter and a pregnant wife (son due in October :))

B.S. in biology and B.A. in psych.

Applying this cycle to roughly 35 schools total (20 MD and 15 DO).

AMCAS 3.1 cGPA with last three years 3.9 in only upper division BCPM courses. AACOMAS 3.4. 518 (97%) MCAT.

This has been a long journey and I'm hoping to get started on the next phase soon. Good luck all!

Last edited:

I would suggest beginning studying in February for the MCAT. It is entirely possible to get sufficient studying in during the semester, especially considering you will be fresh out of biochemistry and genetics as well as a sociology course; all of these topics are on the MCAT. It takes dedication and you will be doing nothing but studying in your time outside of work and classes, however. Do you have other obligations eating into the time? If so, maybe they can be placed on hold for a semester.

One month is not enough time. You really want to be able to sift through everything and know it as well as possible before the test.

I would suggest beginning studying in February for the MCAT. It is entirely possible to get sufficient studying in during the semester, especially considering you will be fresh out of biochemistry and genetics as well as a sociology course; all of these topics are on the MCAT. It takes dedication and you will be doing nothing but studying in your time outside of work and classes, however. Do you have other obligations eating into the time? If so, maybe they can be placed on hold for a semester.

One month is not enough time. You really want to be able to sift through everything and know it as well as possible before the test.

Thank you, that's very helpful. My only other obligations at that time will be clinical volunteering and shadowing.

Maddeh87

27 years old
Served 8 years active duty Air Force as an intel analyst, and I'm currently in the Air National Guard.

Working on my undergrad, majoring in biology. Right now I'm at a community college, but I'm looking to transfer to a local state university next fall (the guard is paying for my undergrad). I have a 4.0 for now, but I've only been back to school for a year. Fortunately I can save my GI bill for medical school, so theoretically I can do this debt free. I should be finished by spring 2018, so I have some time to figure things out. My school doesn't have a pre-med advisor, so basically I've been using this site and my one friend who just finished up her post-bacc to figure out what I need to do. As far as ECs go, I'm just starting out, really. I'm an EMT-B, starting work with a private ambulance in the fall. I'm also a TA in the community college's EMT program. Hoping to get into research when I transfer.

Last edited:
Code2Cabie - from my time spent as an EMT on the boo boo bus.

25 years old

Worked for Apple Inc. as a "Genius Admin", non-specific IT administration gigs, inter facility and 911 EMS time in a dense city and in rural areas. I miss my ABC Kelly rotation. I always wanted to get my paramedic but decided I'd prefer a larger knowledge base and scope of practice. so I'm shooting for MD or DO. I now work at a large central city teaching hospital as a specialty tech. Completed the first half of my prerequisites at the local community college and will be transferring to a private university to finish a bachelors in biology with an emphasis in pre-medicine. I hope to graduate in 3 semesters. Freaking out over LoR, MCAT and research experiences like most. Married to an ER/trauma nurse before I got into healthcare. No kids. Time spent in pre-hospital and community service sparked my interest in EM and FP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-Mr.SamrtGuy

-at least 2-3 years. Lots of talk for a guy who hasn't even started taking prereqs yet, I know. But I am an exhaustive planner. I used to fly by the seat of my pants and now I have come to embrace forming a careful plan of attack before I get into any large undertaking. I have made many mistakes, BUT I feel as though I have learned from them-it feels so good to be in a situation that I would have effed up as a younger man that I know I can handle properly.

So I am, at this point, pre-pre-med. I am discussing it with my wife and figuring out how I can pick up some part time income for the next couple of years, DIY postbacc vs. formal postbacc, what courses I want to take and when, when I'm going to aim to be done with the subjects tested on the DAT/MCAT (obviously not going to take both, I'm not one of those people, I just have enjoyed what I've seen shadowing both dentists and doctors and part of the next two years are going to be shadowing as long as it takes to figure out which path I want to take), when I'm going to aim to apply (we'll see how I do). As a nontrad I feel the clock ticking and the pressure to be ready to apply two years from now since the time between applying and matriculating is so long. But I don't just need to fulfill the prereqs, I also need to do some GPA repair.

-I am not doing this on a lark. I had extensive direct patient volunteering and shadowing late in high school and early in college. I know what it's like to be around sick people and I have a good understanding of what doctors do. Just need to get back into doing those things. I consider law school a detour on my journey. I knew law wasn't for me from my first summer legal internship, but I had a scholarship and I'm a finish-what-I-started type of person. Part of my application will be proving that I'm not a dilettante.

I wish I had learned some lessons and been more mature earlier, but I am still grateful to be more self-aware enough today.

Fearing the LORs, MCAT and research like Code2Cabie. Though not the MCAT quite as much-though I know it is difficult, I actually enjoy trying to "crack" standardized tests and it's easy to impose some structure onto that pursuit. LORs and research are a bit more squishy and undefined. Especially LORs.

Last edited:
-Engeniero89

-Spring 2017

-Currently a corporate electrical engineer/project manager (minors in chemistry & biomedical engineering with a provisional medical patent); Love love love engineering, medicine, patient interaction, and problem solving. Georgia Institute of Technology grad with high honors. Plan on taking MCAT next September and studying while working full-time. Still have to take organic chem lab, Gen Bio II pre-reqs at night prior to applying. Interested in osteopathic medical schools & podiatry schools!

This is my second post on SDN. I feel humbled & privileged to have the opportunity to speak more with each of you in the future!

Attachments

• upload_2015-7-4_3-10-43.png
    upload_2015-7-4_3-10-43.png
    95 bytes · Views: 50
Reactions: 3 users
- psychgrad1004

- 27 yo, applying in 2016

- B.S. in Psychology. I am a research interviewer for a medical university. I work in an ED as part of a NIMH funded study investigating predictive biomarkers for PTSD. I'm also finishing up my prereqs and plan to take the MCAT in the spring.

I'm so glad there are non-trads on here. Best of luck to everyone and I look forward this lovely process with you all ;)

gothicfoxes

22 y.o. and receiving my bachelor's this December. I currently work for a public library and volunteer with Red Cross Delmarva Disaster Relief.

Last edited:
- Dr. Bacon

- 25, applying in 2017 (I hope)

- Heading into my final semester at community college, then transferring to get my Bachelor's. Planning on taking the MCAT in August or September next year. Primary caregiver for family members, so that takes up the majority of my free time, but things are opening up a bit more (just a bit!), so I'm looking for opportunities to start building my ECs. If med school doesn't work out, I may look into going for a PhD.