Non trad Physical Therapy Applicant...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mightyhealthy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work full time with a rotating shift. Days off are also rotating. For 3 weeks I work night then mornings for 3 weeks. I know there are people at my job that can switch with me every now and then. Realistically if I go back to school to take prerequisites I won't be able to attend 100% of my classes. However if there are some schools, professors that are forgiving where I can make up a class at a different time, or take a lab on a different date that coincides with my schedule it would be feasible.

Has anybody been in this situation before? What can be done?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a tough situation. I also worked a rotating schedule for many years before applying to PT school. I did all of the online courses I could to raise my GPA and take other pre reqs (english, psych). Then I had to leave my job to actually complete A&P and physics. I wish I had more encouraging news for you, but if you need the courses with labs, you really can't miss any of those. I guess I would advise you to try to work with your job. Can you take weekend pre-reqs and just ask to be scheduled M-F? Or can you work ALL nights, thus leaving your days free for classes?

Reactions: 1 user
If your budget allows, MGH Institute of Health Professions offers all PT prerequisites online, including lab.

Fair warning: they are hella pricey (tuition reimbursement from your job may help), and some schools may not accept the online A&P sequence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I already took a and p both segments and physics 1 and 2. Only have bio and Chem left. To the second poster that's a no, works not like that.

Last edited:
Suck it up and do it. I work full time and have compeleted all 10 of my prereq classes in a year. Sometimes I did them online and others I just went after work.

These classes have labs?

That makes things infinitely easier. Google schools that offer online classes or a community college in your area that has online sections.
UND comes to mind: http://und.edu/academics/extended-learning/online-distance/courses/

Check whether your schools of interest will accept online classes.

So I enrolled in a class close to where i work. The class meets at 6pm Tuesdays aND Thursdays with combined lab on Thursday til 10. The only problem is I'll be late more than 50% of the time due to my job ending at 6. I usually leave around 530 some days if I'm lucky at 5. What do you guys think? If I explained my situaron to the prof do you think he'll let it slide?

So I enrolled in a class close to where i work. The class meets at 6pm Tuesdays aND Thursdays with combined lab on Thursday til 10. The only problem is I'll be late more than 50% of the time due to my job ending at 6. I usually leave around 530 some days if I'm lucky at 5. What do you guys think? If I explained my situaron to the prof do you think he'll let it slide?

I would email the professor as soon as you have the contact information. Being late to lectures is not always that big of a deal but being late to labs is as typically you start them and then it progresses...meaning you would have to start late (which is not really fair to the professor) or your lab partner(s) would be responsible during the time you're not there...which is also not really fair. Not sure what it is you do for work but I would try and work something out with them to ensure you are out on time or early on those days.