Non-trad MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

.edu-MD

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

amk25a said:
Well, August 2004 MCAT scores are out.

I'm pleased with some parts but really disappointed with others. I took this test over 10 years ago back when I didn't know what I wanted to do and did awful on the VR and writing sample. This time around, thinking I improved a fair bit after 8 years of grad school (at least based on the sample tests), I scored exactly the same on those sections! In fact, every subsection was the same as 10 years ago except for BS which improved one point, probably because my much of my grad work was in neuro/genetics. I was really hoping to improve into double digits on the VR and get at least middle of the road on that darn writing sample. Sigh...

I read something someone else wrote on the board that Non-Trad applicants usually score lower? So what is a good score for us? I am happy with my score (11V 8P 8B = 27N). Will the admin committee look at our scores differently?

First time in April (with mono): 25Q
Second time in August (the day after my hubby told me he was quitting his job, the week after my son was chased by neighborhood juvenile delinquents shooting at him with beebee guns): 29M.

I gotta be happy with that. BTW: when I asked hubby WHY he would tell me he was quitting the NIGHT BEFORE my MCATs, he apologized and promised he wouldn't quit until Monday. :) I still love him. He didn't quit after all (but he sure wanted to).

Members don't see this ad :)
Q->M... well, I had a couple of major distractions (husband going to quit job, son terrified and not sleeping because he was being chased by idiots with BB guns shooting at him), and I also had to drive 3.5 hours to get TO the August MCAT. SO.. I think with the slight mental energy use with the former two things, and the physical tiredness with getting up at 4 am and driving for 3+ hours before the exam I just had a bad writing day.

I look at it this way: I have definitely shown I can write. That just wasn't my day to do it. (kindof like writing a math proof - some days no matter what you write it sounds like crap, other days everything smells like roses.)

I also had the mysterious reduction in writing sample score. It was very surprising when my scaled score went from an R to an N this last time around. I have decided that the assessment on the writing samples is so subjective that I will take it with a grain of salt. I know that my writing style, grammar, and use of examples did not differ significantly between the two exams, but the grading sure as hell did. I think most schools look more at your personal statement and secondary essays for clues as to your writing skills anyway...

I took the MCAT a second time in 95 (never got in). So I took it again, 6 years later and had read all the info on scores going down, so I was a touch worried. Even with all that, I went up two points (and down one letter on writing).

I've met more people who went up after a handful of years than went down. Who knows what the real deal is.

RachelD said:
I read something someone else wrote on the board that Non-Trad applicants usually score lower? So what is a good score for us? I am happy with my score (11V 8P 8B = 27N). Will the admin committee look at our scores differently?

I don't know if most nontraditionals go down, but I went way up. Eight years ago as a college student, I had a 34P. This past August, I ended up with a 43S! I don't think that schools will look at our MCAT scores any differently than they look at younger students' scores. But we DO have to give a good reason for making a career change. You might get away with not knowing what you want to be when you grow up as a 20-year-old....but I don't think that'll go over too well if you're a 30-year-old!

Wow, QofQuimica, that is an amazing, amazing score! Congratulations!!

I too went up (a bit) on the MCAT from my undergrad days, and this was after 7 years of not cracking open a science book. As part of my prep, I made index cards of all the time tables (3 x 4, 5 x 6, etc.) because my math skills were that bad. But I was very lucky: my family supported me 100%, financially and otherwise, so that I was able to devote 8 months to nothing but science classes and MCAT study.

Many non-traditional applicants have to deal with children/jobs/life while fulfilling all the pre-med requirements, so their MCAT scores do tend to be lower. If you are working a full-time job, raising 3 small children, AND you manage to achieve a good MCAT score, I think that schools will take that into account.

don't really need to revive this thread...but am chuckling because 6 years after taking my first mcat and 10 years after taking general chem, i also found myself with index card of the times tables in front of me last summer (for aug mcat). i actually got some of those 3rd grade arithmetic speed drills for practice too...seems i can't do math without an excel spreadsheet these days ;)

I took the April test and was happy enough with my 33Q (PS=12,VR=11,BS=10) to leave well enough alone. It has yet to result in any allopathic interviews, though.

In general, nontraditionals (and by this, that statement usually means those with ARTS backgrounds) tend to do better on the background. It doesn't mean that nontrad in the sense that you came to medicine later, do better.

This is due to a couple of factors, primarly (in my five yeasr of teaching MCAT, all sections) is that liberal art students tend to do better on standardized tests. They are very comfortable with the concept of 'best awnser' as opposed to the 'right awnser'. they also are, in general, faster readers.

Often, they know they havea lot more to compensate for (or think they do) and over study.

Hi everyone,

I am sure the whole kids thing has been brought up here on SDN many a times, but I need some solid advice from you older non trads trying to enter medical school. I am 26 years old (female, obviously) and I started a post bacc program this fall. I have been advised to slow myself down a bit with my school work because I may be rushing things.

I wanted to finish taking my science pre reqs no later than this summer, and was planning on taking the August MCAT. So, this whole time, my plan was to take all of my science classes, take Orgo I and Orgo II summer session I and summer session and take the August MCAT. Then realized that I would not have time to study for the MCAT while taking Organic Chemistry with lab for 8 hours a day in the summer. So, then i opted for taking the August MCAT without Orgo II and taking Orgo II in the fall of 2005. Now, it turns out that my physics II class conflicts with Bio II and cannot take both next semester, unless I take physics II with calculus, and I am still contemplating this considering I have not taken calculus in like 8 years and I am not too great in math. So, now my plans are a bit screwy.

I am getting married in March and my fiancee is really worried about having children later in life, he doesnt want to have them when he is 40, he is 2 years older than I am. I figured that the latest I could apply to medical school is 2007 and hope that I get in and by the time I finish with med school (4 years) I will be 33. So I enter medical school at 29 and 4 years of medical school, I am 33, then have a small two year window to have children. Along with a residency, which I have heard they dont like you being pregnant the first year of residency, then we would try to get pregnant the second year. That leaves me with one problem, I want to have more than one child.

I know this may seem all so complicated in writing, but if there is anyone out there, male or female, I want to know how you handled it. Thanks.

One of the major mistakes that some non-trads make is trying to rush things and end up with either mediocre post-bacc GPA or MCAT score. It is best to take one additional year than end up applying with soso numbers. Take it one day at a time...trying to plan your life four years ahead will be difficult and sometimes life throws things in that messes up your plans. You need to focus on the task at hand which is getting all your pre-reqs done. Take your time and ace your classes and understand the concepts this in itself will prepare you for the MCAT. Taking a huge load while studying for the MCAT is insane unless you are a genius with photographic memory *and* awesome test taking skills. The MCAT no only tests you on concepts but also it is about test taking abilities and this can only be done via taking numerous exams. Medical school will be there no matter when you apply but rushing through pre-reqs and possibly not doing good will haunt you for life....

jules0328 said:
Hi everyone,

So I enter medical school at 29 and 4 years of medical school, I am 33, then have a small two year window to have children. Along with a residency, which I have heard they dont like you being pregnant the first year of residency, then we would try to get pregnant the second year. That leaves me with one problem, I want to have more than one child.

I know this may seem all so complicated in writing, but if there is anyone out there, male or female, I want to know how you handled it. Thanks.

Hi there,
Residencies do not care if you are pregnant during your intern year. Babies have a way of coming no matter how carefully you plan or do not plan. Medical school, residency and parenthood are all very doable together and are not mutually exclusive. You do not have to quit doing medical school or residency to have children.

Many of my female colleagues in General Surgery had babies during residency and most of my male colleagues did. You have to have a good support system and make plans. Even if you are female and have a complicated pregnancy, you can still do residency and have your baby too.

I even interviewed (General Surgery residency) with a few ladies who were pregnant at the time of residency interview. They all matched well and in Surgery.

The most important thing for you at this point is to get your pre-med coursework done; study and do well on MCAT and get into medical school. You can combine any of these things with marriage and parenthood. Will you be able to stay home with your child 24/7? Not during medical school but most good residency programs have excellent maternity and paternity leave like most good jobs.

Good luck
njbmd :)

jules 0328--I just PMed you! :)

njbmd said:
Hi there,
Residencies do not care if you are pregnant during your intern year. Babies have a way of coming no matter how carefully you plan or do not plan. Medical school, residency and parenthood are all very doable together and are not mutually exclusive. You do not have to quit doing medical school or residency to have children.

Many of my female colleagues in General Surgery had babies during residency and most of my male colleagues did. You have to have a good support system and make plans. Even if you are female and have a complicated pregnancy, you can still do residency and have your baby too.

I even interviewed (General Surgery residency) with a few ladies who were pregnant at the time of residency interview. They all matched well and in Surgery.

The most important thing for you at this point is to get your pre-med coursework done; study and do well on MCAT and get into medical school. You can combine any of these things with marriage and parenthood. Will you be able to stay home with your child 24/7? Not during medical school but most good residency programs have excellent maternity and paternity leave like most good jobs.

Good luck
njbmd :)

Here Here! Kids come. People (and women) have them at all stages of medical education... premed, medical school, residency, fellowship. You can have them whenever. You will figure it out. Just keep your focus and most importantly, keep your perspective.

njbmd said:
Many of my female colleagues in General Surgery had babies during residency and most of my male colleagues did.

I just had to comment - that line sounded funny, men having babies. :laugh: